Scott McTominay

Just now, Andrew Driver said:

The problem is its 25 year since Mo and Ally since we had an international class forward.   This is our number 1 problem position.   Dykes has had a couple good game before a few lesser performances.   While CB and RB are areas to look at the elephant in the room - which isn't talked about enough is the CF.  

Aye what a difference a top striker can make to a team.  Just don't see one on the horizon either.

56 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

We've conceded 4 goals in our 7 games playing a back three with McTominay, so it feels like that has very much solved our defensive problem.

Not necessarily down to McTominay, especially considering he personally has sold two of those goals, maybe more the players getting used to the system.  He has now settled in well to that role but would bring more to the team in the middle of the park.  Him and Gilmour next to each other would be top drawer.

6 hours ago, accies1874 said:

Maybe he's being wasted at CB...

Totally.

He's not even good at CB - he done a decent job in a couple of games, but the flaws are obvious.

Meanwhile, he'd offer us so much more than Jack in the middle. McTominay and Gilmour are the future of our midfield, with take yer pick out of McGinn, Christie, Armstrong, Gauld ahead.

Maybe we can teach McKenna to pass a ball?

Edited by ArabFC

17 minutes ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

He actually can, is quality waltzing out on the ball and stepping past 2 or 3 players.  His brother is too.  And he's excellent, would easily be a first choice by now.  Plus it amuses me.

I'm curious so I took a look at his numbers.

He plays less forward passes (19.13) per 90 than Grant Hanley (19.85) with a lower success rate (65.64% compared to 82.03%). Both players are in the top 25 in the Championship for centre back forward passes, which probably tells you something about the standard of that league.

That's what we need him to do - we don't need a player who can dribble out of defence, we need a player who can play accurate forward passes so we can take advantage of teams on the transition.

Interestingly, he dribbles out of defence less than Scott McKenna does.

These numbers aren't the be all and end all - they don't account for different styles. But there's just nothing that suggests Souttar is much different than what he's been for years - an enormous physical presence that headers everything. That has some value and we do use those kind of players - but I'd be surprised if he's a significant upgrade over Gallagher or McKenna.

4 hours ago, G51 said:

I don't know why you're so desperate to get Harry Souttar in the team.

He isn't good, and if he was replacing anyone in the side it'd be Declan Gallagher. He doesn't play the way we need our outside CB's to play.

Harry Souttar is cap tied to Australia

3 hours ago, ArabFC said:

Totally.

He's not even good at CB - he done a decent job in a couple of games, but the flaws are obvious.

Meanwhile, he'd offer us so much more than Jack in the middle. McTominay and Gilmour are the future of our midfield, with take yer pick out of McGinn, Christie, Armstrong, Gauld ahead.

Maybe we can teach McKenna to pass a ball?

A midfield trio of McTominay, McGinn, and Christie would be excellent and I agree that McTominay is best used as a central midfielder in a deep lying playmaker type roll.  Scotland are better served with proper Centre Backs playing there to free up McTominay to play his best role.

Just stop trying to recommend Harry Souttar as an option for Scotland, he's cap tied to Australia (I am pretty sure I have mentioned this before)

4 hours ago, senorsoupe said:

A midfield trio of McTominay, McGinn, and Christie would be excellent and I agree that McTominay is best used as a central midfielder in a deep lying playmaker type roll. 

McTominay is a box to box player, which is the role he played yesterday. 

This is all going very Darren Fletcher where people see he's a CM at Man United and expect him to be splitting defences apart with his passing.

Playing him as a defensive midfielder would be wasting his attributes more than playing him as a CB who's allowed to get forward.

Would much rather see him playing CB where he has some freedom to push us up the park. He did it very well in the games where we decided to show up pre-Serbia (also including that game too)

9 hours ago, G51 said:

I'm curious so I took a look at his numbers.

He plays less forward passes (19.13) per 90 than Grant Hanley (19.85) with a lower success rate (65.64% compared to 82.03%). Both players are in the top 25 in the Championship for centre back forward passes, which probably tells you something about the standard of that league.

That's what we need him to do - we don't need a player who can dribble out of defence, we need a player who can play accurate forward passes so we can take advantage of teams on the transition.

Interestingly, he dribbles out of defence less than Scott McKenna does.

These numbers aren't the be all and end all - they don't account for different styles. But there's just nothing that suggests Souttar is much different than what he's been for years - an enormous physical presence that headers everything. That has some value and we do use those kind of players - but I'd be surprised if he's a significant upgrade over Gallagher or McKenna.

You've literally never seen him play in your life have you?

11 minutes ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

You've literally never seen him play in your life have you?

Of course I’ve seen him play. I haven’t seen much of him for Stoke this year right enough, but I’ve seen enough of him to know what he is.

5 minutes ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

Really?  Did you just hit the wrong keys on the keyboard then when you typed a lot of shite?

Sure, whatever.

I'm not inclined to fascinate over a limited English Championship player, especially when the one role he plays is already well covered by players better than him.

13 hours ago, craigkillie said:

We've conceded 4 goals in our 7 games playing a back three with McTominay, so it feels like that has very much solved our defensive problem.

Arguably would've conceded less if McTominay hadn't sold a couple of them.

I feel a back 3 of Gallagher, Cooper/McKenna and Tierney would be absolutely fine and far too much is being placed on this "playing out from the back" that apparently only McTominay can provide. 

2 hours ago, Gordopolis said:
9 hours ago, senorsoupe said:
Harry Souttar is cap tied to Australia

He's not. Can still switch according to new rules.

Which new rules?  He played in competitive fixtures (World Cup Qualifiers) I thought the new rules only affected friendlies

Edited by senorsoupe

Which new rules?  He played in competitive fixtures (World Cup Qualifiers) I thought the new rules only affected friendlies
Pretty sure it's only final tournaments which automatically stop you from changing national teams now. Up to three games in any other fixtures now allowed.