Scott McTominay

1 minute ago, BingMcCrosby said:

Fair enough, but there's less of a jump between playing box to box and holding midfielder. Than there is being lobbed in at centre back.

No arguments there, i think it would be better for him and his progression if he left Man Utd, their style, setup doesn’t suit him.

Just now, Rscot said:

No arguments there, i think it would be better for him and his progression if he left Man Utd, their style, setup doesn’t suit him.

I can see both sides tbh.

If he went somewhere else in the premier league and played every WK that would be good.

Its also good for him to be playing with quality players. Like fernandes, van de beek and pogba (crap attitude but still a technically great player.

Playing and training alongside these guys is only going to be positive. As long as he plays games.

No doubt training with these players has been good for Mctominey. But I’d like to see him play regularly in his natural position, as a box to box midfielder in a midfield 3. I think it would do him the world of good. But he’s have to leave Man U for that to happen. Although if Solskjaer was to be replaced, who knows. But he would need to leave soon, and I think he’s recently signed a contract extension, so it’s not very likely.

• 5 weeks later...

Man U defence is in a bit of a mess with injuries for tomorrow. Wondering if there is a chance of McTominay starting at CB in a back 3.
Tuanzebe (literally just returned to training after a 10 month injury) and Lindelof are the only recognised CB's in the squad.

1 hour ago, charger29 said:

Man U defence is in a bit of a mess with injuries for tomorrow. Wondering if there is a chance of McTominay starting at CB in a back 3.
Tuanzebe (literally just returned to training after a 10 month injury) and Lindelof are the only recognised CB's in the squad.

Only because of McTominay do Man U normally play a back three ?

They go to a back 3 from time to time. Wan-Bissaka, Lindelof, Maguire, Shaw, Williams has been used before. If Lindelof moves to the centre who takes the RCB spot? Fosu-Mensah and McTominay seem the only two options.

12 hours ago, charger29 said:
13 hours ago, ewan14 said:

They go to a back 3 from time to time. Wan-Bissaka, Lindelof, Maguire, Shaw, Williams has been used before. If Lindelof moves to the centre who takes the RCB spot? Fosu-Mensah and McTominay seem the only two options.l

Let us hope it is Mr McTominay and they keep a clean sheet

On 20/09/2020 at 13:22, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

That just comes with the territory being at a big club. They have a lot of hanger-on fans and fans who don't have a clue about the game, so you get more stick, there's more scrutiny too.  Darren Fletcher had it as well, best to take no notice of it and carry on. 

He's a decent player and certainly not one of their worst players, though I agree it helps get the best out of him to release him to go forward a little more.

Fletcher had the benefit of having a competent manager, though.

I thought McTominay was excellent in the holding midfield role last night. Some folk on here seem to think he's not a holding midfielder and is better going box to box, I'd suggest on the evidence of last night he's capable of doing whatever the f**k we want him to. One thing is for certain, we don't get the best of him at centre back.

I thought McTominay was excellent in the holding midfield role last night. Some folk on here seem to think he's not a holding midfielder and is better going box to box, I'd suggest on the evidence of last night he's capable of doing whatever the f**k we want him to. One thing is for certain, we don't get the best of him at centre back.

Yip. Been saying this for ages. A back three of gallagher, cooper and tiernay with mctominay in the middle of the park would work and probably give us a better balance in midfield.

22 minutes ago, Aufc said:

Yip. Been saying this for ages. A back three of gallagher, cooper and tiernay with mctominay in the middle of the park would work and probably give us a better balance in midfield.

I'm minded to agree but it's a tricky one. I like having a midfielder in a back three who's able to bring the ball out and be flexible (as well as one, like Tierney, capable of sliding into wider positions) and McTominay is probably the best option for that role.

I also think in midfield our best bet is to go with a holder who is good at recycling possession and McGinn and Armstrong or Christie ahead as different types of box to box midfielders. If Gilmour were fit and still getting game time I'd be all for him as that deep lying playmaker, but McTominay over Jack or McLean any day.

I think he's a valuable player either way and you can't argue we haven't improved as he has in the centre back role.

3 hours ago, The Moonster said:

And that was him playing with a missing contact lens apparently...

5 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Yeah I think that's fair, hes certainly proving to be an adaptable player at the top level.

I think he's really improved this season, despite actually playing slightly less football. He looks quality every time he's on the pitch.

Its a good laugh to go back to near the start and read the ridiculous comments about him being crap 🤣 

Same as the Tierney thread tbh.

• 2 weeks later...