Scott McTominay

5 hours ago, DAVIDB69 said:

Now training with the derby u21 side , would imagine back up on loan in new year

He's still training with the first team but obviously isn't getting picked for the league games so is playing for the under 23s.

Wouldn't be surprised if he is loaned/moved on elsewhere in January either though.

On 22/08/2019 at 09:24, Honest_Man#1 said:

One bad pass in a game that he otherwise did very well in is incredibly harsh, and literally every single player was abysmal against Kazakhstan under McLeish, so unless we’re ruling out that entire team then again it’s very harsh to pick specifically on someone who otherwise generally performs well. 

So not always then

So not always then

Definitely not. But if you relegate every Scotland player to the bench/bin who has made a ricket, we'd have no players.

Armstrong's fault vs England was high profile and unfortunate, but he orchestrated our win away in Lithuania and others (smaller opposition which was probably the difference, but we need guys who can comfortably unpick 'smaller' opponents)

On 22/08/2019 at 09:38, craigkillie said:

This is the problem with the "but he isnae playing for his club" hardliners - even very good players like Armstrong can end up not quite fitting in at a club and then we're supposed to believe that he should be dropped not just from the team, but from the entire squad, despite being one of few players who can give genuine energy in the midfield.

A lot of people seem to think that the Scotland manager's job is to reward players who have been playing well for their clubs by giving them a Scotland call-up as a wee pat on the head. It's not. It's to put the right team on the field to win football matches and qualify us for tournaments.

If we're talking energy in midfield surely John McGinn is the top dog at that? 

We're ridiculously stacked with players who play in that central midfield area who people can (with genuine reason) say shouldn't be left out, the afore mentioned Armstrong who does seem to always play well for Scotland, McTominay is starting games for Man Utd and is our best Dm, John McGinn is starring for Villa in the Premier and receiving massive plaudits, Christie and McGregor are fairly integral to a Celtic side that have won the treble treble, McLean was one of our best players in the last game and is well liked at Norwich (unsure whether he has played for them this season?) 

I'm probably forgetting others aswell but you get the point. I don't think there's necessarily a wrong answer for our Cm issue, different teams will need different players. I like the sound of McTominay, McGinn and Christie, there's plenty of combinations though. 

On 24/08/2019 at 01:51, Grant228 said:

If we're talking energy in midfield surely John McGinn is the top dog at that? 

We're ridiculously stacked with players who play in that central midfield area who people can (with genuine reason) say shouldn't be left out, the afore mentioned Armstrong who does seem to always play well for Scotland, McTominay is starting games for Man Utd and is our best Dm, John McGinn is starring for Villa in the Premier and receiving massive plaudits, Christie and McGregor are fairly integral to a Celtic side that have won the treble treble, McLean was one of our best players in the last game and is well liked at Norwich (unsure whether he has played for them this season?) 

I'm probably forgetting others aswell but you get the point. I don't think there's necessarily a wrong answer for our Cm issue, different teams will need different players. I like the sound of McTominay, McGinn and Christie, there's plenty of combinations though. 

McGinn has a different type of energy to Armstrong. He is one of the hardest working midfielders about, but he does a lot of it when his team is out of possession. When his team has the ball his running is usually about getting into position and opening up angles for passes, and then he likes to zip fast balls to keep up the energy of the team as a whole.

Armstrong runs with the ball a lot more, and can be really good at getting his team up the park when they're defending, or bursting into the box and getting between the lines when his team are attacking. I think we have far more players along the lines of McGinn than we do with Armstrong - McGregor is perhaps the closest to Armstrong in style, but he's a bit more powerful and a bit less elegant.

On 24/08/2019 at 00:34, Gordopolis said:

Definitely not. But if you relegate every Scotland player to the bench/bin who has made a ricket, we'd have no players.

Armstrong's fault vs England was high profile and unfortunate, but he orchestrated our win away in Lithuania and others (smaller opposition which was probably the difference, but we need guys who can comfortably unpick 'smaller' opponents)

Didn’t say bin off players who have made mistakes.  Someone else thought he was great in every game and I pointed out he’s not.  That’s it.

He also plays less football minutes than everyone else vying for spots in positions he plays in. And it’s arguably our strongest area.  

If he’s plays regularly then he’s in the discussion. When he’s not, it’s mental putting him ahead of others than play often and are as good, if not better players.

• 1 month later...

He was the best player on the park imo although that's damning with faint praise

Actually annoys me now watching guys like him, McGinn, Robertson putting in terrific performances week after week and the going to pieces in a Scotland shirt

Football's a team sport.  If you change every other variable in that team, you're probably going to have that player play differently.  It you change every other variable to absolute haddies, then you'll probably have that player playing very differently.

23 hours ago, MarkoRaj said:

He was the best player on the park imo although that's damning with faint praise

Actually annoys me now watching guys like him, McGinn, Robertson putting in terrific performances week after week and the going to pieces in a Scotland shirt

He was great on Monday I agree.....

Our issue is not one of ability as clearly these players have it, the issue is and always will be a mentality issue, it is probably at the worst I have ever seen in my life time in that we crumble at the sign of any pressure, we just cannot cope it and the navy scotland jersey is a massive weight at the moment due to our impatience to qualify for something again,said it for years, we have better talent than both Irish Teams and taking Bale away are just as good as the Welsh the issue is we live in the doldrums and seize and jump on anything negative.

He was great on Monday I agree.....
Our issue is not one of ability as clearly these players have it, the issue is and always will be a mentality issue, it is probably at the worst I have ever seen in my life time in that we crumble at the sign of any pressure, we just cannot cope it and the navy scotland jersey is a massive weight at the moment due to our impatience to qualify for something again,said it for years, we have better talent than both Irish Teams and taking Bale away are just as good as the Welsh the issue is we live in the doldrums and seize and jump on anything negative.
Exactly, we are downtrodden as a country. Phycologicaly broken

• 4 weeks later...