Scott McTominay

2 hours ago, Estragon IS NOT a fud said:

McTominay was honking last night. Still to be convinced by him. Absolute lunacy that people want to throw him into being first choice just because he's getting a start for Man Utd. Thankfully Steve Clarke doesn't seem to be that thick, so he'll need to earn his place on merit.

I thought he looked cumbersome and stood out as being particularly slow on the ball in comparison to the rest of the midfield. There was a passage of play in particular towards the end of the first half where he just kept giving the ball back to his teammate who was under pressure 2 yards away from him before he got booted up in the air. It's encouraging to see him being given so much game time for a side who will finish somewhere from 3rd to 6th in that league.

Assuming Forrest and Fraser start either side of a striker, we've got 3 spots for McGinn, McGregor, McTominay, Christie, Armstrong, McLean. I'd argue it's three of the first four but it's a tough decision who to leave out.

Edited by Marshmallo

11 hours ago, Marshmallo said:

I thought he looked cumbersome and stood out as being particularly slow on the ball in comparison to the rest of the midfield. There was a passage of play in particular towards the end of the first half where he just kept giving the ball back to his teammate who was under pressure 2 yards away from him before he got booted up in the air. It's encouraging to see him being given so much game time for a side who will finish somewhere from 3rd to 6th in that league.

Assuming Forrest and Fraser start either side of a striker, we've got 3 spots for McGinn, McGregor, McTominay, Christie, Armstrong, McLean. I'd argue it's three of the first four but it's a tough decision who to leave out.

I think we have to play Mctominay as he’s the only midfielder of those who can be an effective screen for the defence. McGregor can play that position but is better at starting moves from deep when he have the ball but helping out the defence isn’t the best part of his game especially if there’s not another defensive mid type alongside him. Christie, Mcginn and Armstrong are all much better further forward but it’s hard to see how we can afford to play more than one of them at a time. Especially for the calibre of opponent in our next few games.

11 hours ago, ArabianKnight said:

Personally I'd have Mctominay or McLean with McGregor and Armstrong either side in the midfield 3. McGinn and Christie are able deputes.

Armstrong plays the least amount of regular football of the lot.  He'll be lucky to even make the squad IMO

2 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

He’d be one of the first names on the team sheet for me. Always impresses for Scotland IMO.

Always?

You forgetting the last minute against England at Hampden? Or away to Kazakhstan? 

8 hours ago, RobbieD said:

Always?

You forgetting the last minute against England at Hampden? Or away to Kazakhstan? 

One bad pass in a game that he otherwise did very well in is incredibly harsh, and literally every single player was abysmal against Kazakhstan under McLeish, so unless we’re ruling out that entire team then again it’s very harsh to pick specifically on someone who otherwise generally performs well. 

This is the problem with the "but he isnae playing for his club" hardliners - even very good players like Armstrong can end up not quite fitting in at a club and then we're supposed to believe that he should be dropped not just from the team, but from the entire squad, despite being one of few players who can give genuine energy in the midfield.

A lot of people seem to think that the Scotland manager's job is to reward players who have been playing well for their clubs by giving them a Scotland call-up as a wee pat on the head. It's not. It's to put the right team on the field to win football matches and qualify us for tournaments.

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

This is the problem with the "but he isnae playing for his club" hardliners - even very good players like Armstrong can end up not quite fitting in at a club and then we're supposed to believe that he should be dropped not just from the team, but from the entire squad, despite being one of few players who can give genuine energy in the midfield.

A lot of people seem to think that the Scotland manager's job is to reward players who have been playing well for their clubs by giving them a Scotland call-up as a wee pat on the head. It's not. It's to put the right team on the field to win football matches and qualify us for tournaments.

Little from column A, little from column B.  I'd broadly agree with that, but then the manager's job is to assess whether the player not playing for his club is going to affect how he plays for us.  Is he fit enough?  Sharp enough?  If so, then he plays.

Last part, absolutely.  It might be a quote about "them", but reminds me of something I heard on a podcast around Alf Ramsay and 66.  Jack Charlton was puzzled as to why he was being picked for the squad, thinking there were better options

Luckily, Ramsey already had his eye on Jack Charlton, giving him a characteristic pep talk: “I don’t always pick the best players you know. I have a system and I look for players to fit that pattern.”

Telling Charlton he was “quite good”, Sir Alf said: “And I know you won’t trust Bobby Moore.” Seeing Charlton’s confusion, Ramsey explained that, when Moore surged upfield, he must fill the space left behind. Good with his head and his mouth, Jack was one of England’s most vocal defenders, always organising, alerting, reprimanding.