Scott McTominay

23 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

I seem to recall him being the best player on the pitch against AC Milan, despite playing wide on the left.  I'd also hazard a guess Ferguson was saying things like that long before any of the fans were.  

The arsenal semi-final too when his picked up a booking and missed the final.

The arsenal semi-final too when his picked up a booking and missed the final.

He was superb in that game. He was 25 by that point too so as I say it's all too easy and unfair to compare Fletcher's 10 years at Man U, including his peak, and conclude he's better than McT, who has just a year or so of breaking through under his belt.

We just don't know how far McT is going to go, but so far he is showing fletcher-esque hallmarks

...which is wonderful.

1 hour ago, Gordopolis said:

Ferguson trusted Fletcher in huge games, definitely (and rightly so). We're seeing the same with Solskjaer and McTominay now. I just don't see a massive obvious gulf between them at McTominay's current age. If anything McTominay appears to be more composed and game-aware than Fletcher in his early days but that might be the haze of memory. I agree he could do a Tom Cleverly or a Darron Gibson and end up at a West Ham or the like, but the signs are he has the mentality and skills to be more than that.

Fletcher played on right side off midfield in his early days though

So it's unfair to compare them as McTomilay has played in defence and central midfield 

Totally different animals

Fletcher played on right side off midfield in his early days though
So it's unfair to compare them as McTomilay has played in defence and central midfield 
Totally different animals
True enough. It's not a carbon copy comparison, but McTominay is starting out in the position where Fletcher ended up - and is doing really well there in his full breakthrough season. His performances vs PSG, Barca show the boy's doing really well. Not established yet, but looks classy and composed enough to be capable of getting there.

A reminder of the largely positive PSG performance:
http://www.sportbible.com/football/stats-news-three-months-ago-mctominay-was-playing-against-psg-in-the-under-23s-20190307

He doesn't yet have the vision and long range passing that Fletcher developed. Fletcher had a great team around him which makes a difference too. 
Can't disagree. 'yet' is the pertinent word and indeed this man U is a far way off Fletcher's era man U

He's shown enough top performances (Liverpool at home last season, PSG away and Barca home this season) to be in our plans over the next few years.

He's not looking particularly consistent yet but he is playing for a team which has had constant negativaty surrounding it for years, plus Mourinho fucking about with him at CB.

I think he's better further back in midfield using his tackling, physicality and short passing to start moves but when he's in a midfield 3, he's going to be further forward a lot of the time. McLeish seemed to want him further forward too which was irritating.

He's an absolute nailed on starter for Scotland every time.  We don't have any other DM's right now, when we pick a squad he's the only one so has to play against anyone who aren't shite.

Edited by Kuro

1 hour ago, Kuro said:

He's an absolute nailed on starter for Scotland every time.  We don't have any other DM's right now, when we pick a squad he's the only one so has to play against anyone who aren't shite.

I think we should be lining up with a defensive midfielder like McTominay regardless of who we're playing. Even in the San Marino game our midfield was wide open and had no structure because we just had three midfielders wanting to go forward every time they had the ball.

26 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

I think we should be lining up with a defensive midfielder like McTominay regardless of who we're playing. Even in the San Marino game our midfield was wide open and had no structure because we just had three midfielders wanting to go forward every time they had the ball.

I'd agree with that. 

4-3-2-1 "Xmas tree formation" with McTominay holding and the other 4 midfielders having freedom to rotate position and the full backs providing width going forward.

Comparisons with fletcher are difficult, fletcher was introduced patiently  into a very good man utd side with top players like Rooney and Ronaldo and they were winning league titles.

Mctominey has been brought into an absolute shambles and to some extent has been chucked into the deep end at times with players who wouldn't have got a sniff at one of Ferguson's teams.

2 hours ago, craigkillie said:

But Craig, shouldn't we be going 4 up front against teams like this, cos it's San Marino and that?  We don't need anyone defensive.  No even a keeper.

Edited by forameus

4 hours ago, craigkillie said:

You do need balance and somebody to protect your CBs, for me he has to start pretty much every game.  We have virtually no other DMs available except Ryan Jack and he's pish.

4 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Yes

There's also the fact that it gives the other midfielder less to worry about so they can focus on the offensive side of the game. Guys like McGregor and McGinn are have decent defensive attributes but it's not their natural game to sit deep.

On 4/22/2019 at 16:51, Kuro said:

You do need balance and somebody to protect your CBs, for me he has to start pretty much every game.  We have virtually no other DMs available except Ryan Jack and he's pish.

I wouldn't even call Jack a 'defensive' midfielder. He plays in a deep role and won't make too many forays forward but he offers very little in a defensive capacity.

He starts attacks and provides a structure to the midfield. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...