Scott McTominay

Mourinho repeatedly singled out McTominay for praise, and even invented a Manager's Player of the Year award so that he could give him it last season. The ridicule of McTominay was more down to that than him being particularly poor.

Having said that, I didn't rate him as a player at that time and assumed he'd be away as soon as a new manager came in. I didn't have a problem with him not being picked previously, but he should clearly have started in the Kazakhstan and San Marino games to plug the glaring holes in our midfield which were also obvious in every other game under McLeish.

Looking at the highlights today he looked excellent against a top quality side. The boy's absolutely brimming with confidence in his own ability too, his bearing in the interview afterwards was impressive.

I think if he maintains that level of performance we'll have a top class player on our hands.

47 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Well the fact he never went forward with the ball pretty much confirms his intention was not to go forward?

Crossed to who? It's the last 30 seconds and the furthest forward players are one striker (Naismith if I remember) and Darren Fletcher.

Point I'm making is that by the end of his Scotland career he'd fallen in to the defeated mindset that most of our management and players end up with. I thought he was a real asset before he got to that stage.

Point I'm making is you're full of shit.  You're making all this up.  No professional footballer thinks ach I don't really want to.win this game farewell do.  You're just talking pish.

On 11/04/2019 at 10:45, Merkland Red said:

He wasn't as bad as the majority made out and had some very good performances for Scotland.

He was damaged goods by the end of his career though and would take the easy option every time. The Poland game where we drew away from home was a hard one to forget. He got the ball about 25 yards from goal in the final minute, in heaps of space and instead of taking the shot he fired a pass to our left back, obviously content with a draw.

I've just watched the last 5 minutes of that game back, and this never happened.

Here are all the passes which Fletcher made in the final 5 minutes of the 2-2 draw in Poland. At no point does anything even remotely similar to this happen - indeed, every time he gets the ball he is looking to make something happen, which nearly leads to him being caught in possession in the second clip.

https://streamable.com/c3ssq

5 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

I've just watched the last 5 minutes of that game back, and this never happened.

Here are all the passes which Fletcher made in the final 5 minutes of the 2-2 draw in Poland. At no point does anything even remotely similar to this happen - indeed, every time he gets the ball he is looking to make something happen, which nearly leads to him being caught in possession in the second clip.

Must be thinking of another game then but it was around that time.

5 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Good work.  Can't say I'm remotely surprised.

Dear Craigkillie. Can you do this again except for using all the passes made by, oh, let’s say, Kirk Broadfoot in the first ten minutes of his goalscoring international debut?

16 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Dear Craigkillie. Can you do this again except for using all the passes made by, oh, let’s say, Kirk Broadfoot in the first ten minutes of his goalscoring international debut?

I probably could, but it would take a while since the footage from that game isn't as nicely tagged as the more recent ones are.

7 hours ago, craigkillie said:

The lack of movement around him is incredible, seems to be a lot of players who seem to think standing in space is all that's required. 

3 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:

Still think this lad will be nowhere near as good as fletcher was.

Just so happens
47 league goals conceded by Manchester United. Their worst record in the Premier League era, with four and a bit games still to go.
If Man utd were to bring in class players I wouldn't imagine he would be getting a game.

He's nowhere in the same ball park as Fletcher.  But, lest we forget, it took quite some time for Man Utd fans to come around to Fletcher's importance.  I wouldn't be at all surprised if McTominay had a similar (if lesser) experience and became a fairly regular player at Old Trafford.

He's nowhere in the same ball park as Fletcher.  But, lest we forget, it took quite some time for Man Utd fans to come around to Fletcher's importance.  I wouldn't be at all surprised if McTominay had a similar (if lesser) experience and became a fairly regular player at Old Trafford.

Personally I haven't seen enough of him to judge him Vs Fletcher. However, I'm pretty certain Fletcher at 22 wasn't being described as 'majestic' or 'the best player on the park' after CL later-stage games Vs the likes of Barca and psg.

Just now, Gordopolis said:

Personally I haven't seen enough of him to judge him Vs Fletcher. However, I'm pretty certain Fletcher wasn't being described as 'majestic' or 'the best player on the park' after CL later-stage games Vs the likes of Barca and psg.

I seem to recall him being the best player on the pitch against AC Milan, despite playing wide on the left.  I'd also hazard a guess Ferguson was saying things like that long before any of the fans were.  

4 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

Personally I haven't seen enough of him to judge him Vs Fletcher. However, I'm pretty certain Fletcher at 22 wasn't being described as 'majestic' or 'the best player on the park' after CL later-stage games Vs the likes of Barca and psg.

He wasn't the best player on the park,he was the best man utd player.

6 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:

I am just not seeing what he is adding to this team. He runs about.... that's all I got so far. Maybe time will tell with him but yeah he shouldn't be near that starting line up or all be it bench.
I suppose records are their to be broken

You mean for Scotland?  

Ferguson trusted Fletcher in huge games, definitely (and rightly so). We're seeing the same with Solskjaer and McTominay now. I just don't see a massive obvious gulf between them at McTominay's current age. If anything McTominay appears to be more composed and game-aware than Fletcher in his early days but that might be the haze of memory. I agree he could do a Tom Cleverly or a Darron Gibson and end up at a West Ham or the like, but the signs are he has the mentality and skills to be more than that.