Scott McTominay

2 minutes ago, Estragon is a fud said:

Billy Rubin doesn't like anyone playing for Scotland that he deems as being English. He's always got it in for the likes of McTominay, Phillips and McBurnie for that very reason. People should ignore his views.

FTFY

37 minutes ago, Estragon is a fud said:

Billy Rubin doesn't like anyone playing for Scotland that he deems as being English. He's always got it in for the likes of McTominay, Phillips and McBurnie for that very reason. People should ignore his views.

What a wierd thing to say.   I dislike McBurnie because of his lack of footballing ability, not where he plays.   

12 hours ago, Kuro said:

Its also the type of player.  None of those players can defend at all, so are no use for a defensive midfield role.  McTominay is he only one we've got, absolute nailed on starter for the foreseeable future.

This.   

4 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

He wasn't as bad as the majority made out and had some very good performances for Scotland.

He was damaged goods by the end of his career though and would take the easy option every time. The Poland game where we drew away from home was a hard one to forget. He got the ball about 25 yards from goal in the final minute, in heaps of space and instead of taking the shot he fired a pass to our left back, obviously content with a draw.

Or maybe thinking, correctly,there's more chance of scoring from a cross than him ripping one in the top corner

53 minutes ago, cameron2000 said:

I don’t think it’s fair to say that Callum McGregor is more talented than McTominay, McGinn or Armstrong. McGregor is also the least proven out of them.

Why don't you think it is "fair" to say that? It's not a question of fairness, it's about an opinion. "Talented" means different things to different people, but for me it tends to refer to how well a player uses the ball (rather than, say, fitness, physicality or goalscoring). I would say that McGregor and Armstrong are the two most "talented" on the list based on that.

I also disagree that he is the least proven on that list. He has more experience than McGinn in almost every measure imaginable, and has played much more European football (including CL & EL groups and EL knockouts) than either of the other two guys. McTominay and Armstrong both have a small amount of English Premier League experience which McGregor doesn't, but it's not like they have hundreds of games under their belt (27 and 25 games, 15 and 14 starts, respectively).

Anyone who has watched Mcginn in the last few months would be insane to say he shouldn't have been starting for Scotland. As a Villa fan I'm astounded at his performances recently. He has been magnificent and the villa fans on forums and social media (a notoriously hard to please group) are obsessed with him. He hasn't been lighting it up for Scotland  but nobody has which says something about the manager. Mcginn under a decent Scotland manager will be an absolute legend 

Anyone who has watched Mcginn in the last few months would be insane to say he shouldn't have been starting for Scotland. As a Villa fan I'm astounded at his performances recently. He has been magnificent and the villa fans on forums and social media (a notoriously hard to please group) are obsessed with him. He hasn't been lighting it up for Scotland  but nobody has which says something about the manager. Mcginn under a decent Scotland manager will be an absolute legend 

Anyone who has watched Scotland over the last few months would be insane to say McGinn looked capable at international level. Being a standout in the sea of mediocrity that is the English championship isn’t really indicative of quality.

7 hours ago, cameron2000 said:

I don’t think it’s fair to say that Callum McGregor is more talented than  McGinn. McGregor is also the least proven out of them.

McGregor whos played European football for years is less proven and talented than a guy who has played mainly in the same the league and the league below that even has part time teams ffs?

Edited by gannonball

2 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

Anyone who has watched Scotland over the last few months would be insane to say McGinn looked capable at international level. Being a standout in the sea of mediocrity that is the English championship isn’t really indicative of quality.

I mean....I literally talked about his Scotland performances in my post but fire on. Sigh the sea of mediocrity yea? Pretty silly thing to say really. He's  a Scottish player being recognised as a stand out in a tough league but that's not good enough eh? We should only play the Scotland players playing at Barcelona and the like except. ....fill in the rest

Edited by swing_kinker

He had about 5 and I am not joking .

Name an outstanding performance apart from the Netherlands game

FFS, harsh on Fletcher. Forgetting Fletcher, name one outstanding performance for Scotland in the last 20 years! I can’t even think of one off the top of my head!

I don’t think it’s fair to say that Callum McGregor is more talented than McTominay, McGinn or Armstrong. McGregor is also the least proven out of them.

I think it’s fair to say that’s bollux! [emoji1]

McTominay was named Manchester United's best player against Barcelona by the impartial Gazzetta dello Sport, saying he's rarely mentioned but was exemplary last night and played a perfect game.

Totally agree.

McTominay has been fantastic recently but let's not start buying into the narrative that he should have been selected for ages because this is a recent development. Not long ago under Jose he was being singled out for high profile horror performances. 

Edited by swing_kinker

7 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

The left back is stood on the half way line and has no intentions of going forward.

How do you know his intentions?  I would imagine halfway line is an exaggeration, and one touch out of his feet would have put him in a good crossing position.

49 minutes ago, Principal Flutie said:

It's not like Mourinho to single players out for harsh criticism to create scapegoats. No siree. Not something he's EVER done.

Sure, and he was criticised for it. That said the utd fans also agreed he had been playing badlyou despite disagreeing with how Jose handled it

1 hour ago, Principal Flutie said:

It's not like Mourinho to single players out for harsh criticism to create scapegoats. No siree. Not something he's EVER done.

Unless I’m mistaken he didn’t do this with Mctominay though, did he? I distinctly remember him praising the boys performances when he brought him into the team.

34 minutes ago, Londonwell said:

Unless I’m mistaken he didn’t do this with Mctominay though, did he? I distinctly remember him praising the boys performances when he brought him into the team.

To start with yes, it went south quite quickly. Perhaps it was the media and fans if I'm mistaken.  I remember him being slaughtered though. 

Edited by swing_kinker

9 hours ago, Kuro said:

How do you know his intentions?  I would imagine halfway line is an exaggeration, and one touch out of his feet would have put him in a good crossing position.

Well the fact he never went forward with the ball pretty much confirms his intention was not to go forward?

Crossed to who? It's the last 30 seconds and the furthest forward players are one striker (Naismith if I remember) and Darren Fletcher.

Point I'm making is that by the end of his Scotland career he'd fallen in to the defeated mindset that most of our management and players end up with. I thought he was a real asset before he got to that stage.

Wasn't McTominay only really criticised for poor performances when he was playing at centre back? And even then Mourinho got more of the criticism for hanging him out to dry by playing him in an unfamiliar position. Whenever he has played in his natural position he's been either praised by the fans/manager or at the very least not been panned.