Scott McTominay

32 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

That's just one game though. I feel like he should get a start in the upcoming qualifiers, but he has looked far from impressive in his previous appearances for Scotland.

He was brilliant at the weekend against Southampton and the weekend before against Liverpool too. 

That post is right back to the days of arguing that Darren Fletcher was shite because he wasn’t Andrea Pirlo in a Scotland shirt but he should be because he played for Man United

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

That's just one game though. I feel like he should get a start in the upcoming qualifiers, but he has looked far from impressive in his previous appearances for Scotland.

He's played an integral part in Manchester United's last 3 Premiership matches.

32 minutes ago, an86 said:

McTominay with McGregor and Armstrong in front of him in Kazakhstan. Give him the green light to miss San Marino and play a 2-4-4 with every attacking option possible.

Mind when we played Gibraltar and didn't bother defending? That was a great laugh.

McTominay with McGregor and Armstrong in front of him in Kazakhstan. Give him the green light to miss San Marino and play a 2-4-4 with every attacking option possible.
Worked well at home to Gibraltar when we gifted them their first competitive international goal by starting with a back three of Robertson, Russell Martin and Alan Hutton. We had to bring on Gordon Greer to shore us up haha.

Our best midfield ( collective ) performance under McLeish was this time last year away in Hungary where we controlled the ball and had a real dynamism in midfield against a decent side.    McGregor, McGinn and Armstrong compliment each other.      Scotland just look better when we play pacey, energetic players.   It makes up for our inferior  technical abilities.    

He was brilliant at the weekend against Southampton and the weekend before against Liverpool too. 
That post is right back to the days of arguing that Darren Fletcher was shite because he wasn’t Andrea Pirlo in a Scotland shirt but he should be because he played for Man United
It's not really though. I wasn't expecting McTominay to be Luka Modric when he played for Scotland, but I was expecting him to be able to do more than lumber about the midfield contributing very little in either a defensive or attacking sense.

Obviously his confidence will be higher now and hopefully that will have helped. I haven't written him off, I just don't think that playing well over a very short period of time should automatically make you first pick for Scotland.

1 hour ago, Billy Rubin said:

Our best midfield ( collective ) performance under McLeish was this time last year away in Hungary where we controlled the ball and had a real dynamism in midfield against a decent side.    McGregor, McGinn and Armstrong compliment each other.      Scotland just look better when we play pacey, energetic players.   It makes up for our inferior  technical abilities.    

Don't think anyone disagrees there. Outside of those three midfielders though who is keeping McTominay out the squad?

1 hour ago, Billy Rubin said:

Those 3 were also starters in the Hampden thrashings against Belgium and Portugal.

McTominay is the only defensive midfielder we have. He's playing for Manchester United and helping them to beat PSG away. He should be in the team.

28 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Don't think anyone disagrees there. Outside of those three midfielders though who is keeping McTominay out the squad?

No ones keeping out the squad.   It's a nap he'll be selected and justifiably so.    

Kevin McDonald wouldn't make my squad though.   I've seen enough to know he should be discounted forever.  

6 hours ago, The Moonster said:

The fact he was chosen to play against PSG

TBF they literally had no other option other than 17 year olds with no experience.

He did do well though, and is clearly our best holding midfielder. Playing McGinn there would be wasting his strengths.

2 hours ago, Billy Rubin said:

All three of them are cracking midfield options, but they are all better going forward than defending. 

Playing McTominay alongside these more creative and attack minded midfielders would be pretty decent IMO.

How many times have we seen that though, where arguably our best or one of our best players look bang average in a Scotland shirt because they’re predominantly surrounded by dross?

56 minutes ago, TheIntenseHummingOfEvil said:

All three of them are cracking midfield options, but they are all better going forward than defending. 

Playing McTominay alongside these more creative and attack minded midfielders would be pretty decent IMO.

Fairly sure McTominay, McGregor and McGinn will form the midfield three.   With Armstrong being asked to perform the role Christie did so well in the last two games.    Armstrong has been really good at breaking the lines in the last few games.    Fletcher up top supported by two inside forwards in Fraser and Forrest.  

Fairly sure McTominay, McGregor and McGinn will form the midfield three.   With Armstrong being asked to perform the role Christie did so well in the last two games.    Armstrong has been really good at breaking the lines in the last few games.    Fletcher up top supported by two inside forwards in Fraser and Forrest.  

I wouldn’t be surprised if Forrest and one other of the above players you’ve mentioned won’t start in favour of Burke, and more-so Snodgrass, who’s been playing regularly and pretty well for West Ham of late.

I’d drop Forrest just for that stupid run he did not so long ago.

In other news, I just read through this thread from the start again, and what an absolute disaster forum hero Bobby Fibmarks had early doors. Deary me.

He should be in and around the first team/subs from now on.  It's easy to criticise him for having not impressed for Scotland so far but he needs time with the squad to settle in.  

Right. It’s funny how certain players are given that time, and others aren’t.

15 hours ago, Billy Rubin said:

So we're going to play with 12 men then? :rolleyes: