Scott McTominay

Just a thought on the Scott McTominay situation, I wonder if Slaven Bilic, Cesare Prandelli, another foreign manager or indeed a different scottish manager would have been quite so quick of the mark and had the same contacts and ability to persuade the lad to pledge to Scotland as Big Eck has. I know its all ifs and buts, but it's seeming so far like Big Eck is the right man at the right time.

22 minutes ago, tartanbrush said:

Just a thought on the Scott McTominay situation, I wonder if Slaven Bilic, Cesare Prandelli, another foreign manager or indeed a different scottish manager would have been quite so quick of the mark and had the same contacts and ability to persuade the lad to pledge to Scotland as Big Eck has. I know its all ifs and buts, but it's seeming so far like Big Eck is the right man at the right time.

Alex McLeish has had next to nothing to do with McTominay, it's bizarre people think it's purely down to him. All he had to do was go to the player and waffle some shite, as the player had seemingly already decided 

Right you, settle down. He's not even managed a game yet. And McTominay has revealed in the past that he feels Scottish. It was more of a case that McLeish had to not f**k it up. He's passed that test, but to use it as a point scoring exercise over managers with a much better pedigree - that's plenty.

Nonsense mate. We have his Dad to thank for bringing him up properly. All mcleish had to do was keep his mouth shut and don't talk the lad out of it. Looks like Fergie had some input too. 

1 hour ago, tartanbrush said:

Hi Eck! See you in the pub for opening time?

1 hour ago, Ludo*1 said:

Right you, settle down. He's not even managed a game yet. And McTominay has revealed in the past that he feels Scottish. It was more of a case that McLeish had to not f**k it up. He's passed that test, but to use it as a point scoring exercise over managers with a much better pedigree - that's plenty.

How many trophies has Bilic won as a manager? Zero. I find the love in for him absolutely baffling. McLeish won 2 league titles at Rangers when Martin O’Neill was at Celtic, one a treble, and he got through the group to the knock out stages of the Champions League. All this on a much reduced budget compared with  previous managers there.

2 hours ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Nonsense mate. We have his Dad to thank for bringing him up properly. All mcleish had to do was keep his mouth shut and don't talk the lad out of it. Looks like Fergie had some input too.

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Alex McLeish has had next to nothing to do with McTominay, it's bizarre people think it's purely down to him. All he had to do was go to the player and waffle some shite, as the player had seemingly already decided 

Sources for either of these claims? We don't know for certain whether McLeish clinched it or not, but it sounds like you both have some evidence that he was not the critical factor.

3 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

Sources for either of these claims? We don't know for certain whether McLeish clinched it or not, but it sounds like you both have some evidence that he was not the critical factor.

His dad was brought up in Helensburgh I believe, so it's probably not too much of a stretch if he's also been brought up "feeling Scottish".  I doubt it's as clear cut as the two above are making it out to be, but McLeish's job was fairly straight forward here - go down there and tell McTominay he's the future of the midfield for Scotland, that's all he realistically could do.

I've no sources. My mother is Irish, my father is Scottish; I'm a dual citizen; but it's always been Scotland for me. 100%.

If he makes it massive then he may regret not playing for England where he'd be playing with better players and being able to compete against the top nations (unless it's a penalty shoot-out).  However, he's chosen Scotland so hopefully it works for the kid...

Edited by come on shire

On ‎02‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 16:05, forameus said:

Wee Blutes posting on a thread about one of them, that he clearly hates?  Colour me surprised.

We should be calling up the best players that are available to us under FIFA eligibility rules.  If it pisses off the xenophobic, even better.

Sorry but what exactly is your problem here ?  Isnt this forum for opinions ? You clearly approve of the Scotland team having non-Scots whereas I don't. Why do you have to resort to abuse every time I post ?  I really ought to treat you with the contempt you deserve but perhaps you are stressed by your teams imminent relegation prospects.

FYI I am neither small nor xenophobic. My username originates from France 1998, driving through a French village there was an undertaker so named. I had travelled over there to watch Scotland. I doubt if you have been to a WC. Please desist from cretinous behaviour.

1 hour ago, John Lambies Doos said:
1 hour ago, Gordopolis said:

I've no sources. My mother is Irish, my father is Scottish; I'm a dual citizen; but it's always been Scotland for me. 100%.

I'm the same (other way round tho). Wasn't questioning 'what makes you Scottish' at all. Just feel McLeish's part in securing the guy's allegiance is being unfairly written off.

Don't think Fergie's input should be undersold in anyway, he does have previous in "selling" his country to young players who have a chance of being nabbed by any other nations!!!

Not sure if that's what's going on in the above clip but it's fun to think that it is!!!

1 minute ago, Dullard Bluteau said:

Sorry but what exactly is your problem here ?  Isnt this forum for opinions ? You clearly approve of the Scotland team having non-Scots whereas I don't. Why do you have to resort to abuse every time I post ?  I really ought to treat you with the contempt you deserve but perhaps you are stressed by your teams imminent relegation prospects.

FYI I am neither small nor xenophobic. My username originates from France 1998, driving through a French village there was an undertaker so named. I had travelled over there to watch Scotland. I doubt if you have been to a WC. Please desist from cretinous behaviour.

Like others have said, when you stop making fairly xenophobic posts, I'll probably stop referring to you as that :) You'll likely keep doing the angry tin of shortbread act, and people will continue to pick up on it.  

And I don't really have any interest in where your name comes from, or how many World Cups you've been to, or, to be honest, the "imminent relegation prospects" of Thistle.  I've got far more important things to be stressed about than that, even if you don't seem to. 

1 hour ago, Dullard Bluteau said:

I'm not xenophobic, I have loads of French friends I've been to France once*

* but only because Scotland were playing.