Scott McTominay

46 minutes ago, Peppino Impastato said:

I mean what sort of editor agrees to print that shit too

The Daily Record editors.  They have a pretty solid track record of printing terrible articles.  Anyone remember Keith Jackson's Morelos article earlier this season where he made a lot of terrible references to drug smuggling because Morelos is from Colombia?

4 minutes ago, senorsoupe said:

The Daily Record editors.  They have a pretty solid track record of printing terrible articles.  Anyone remember Keith Jackson's Morelos article earlier this season where he made a lot of terrible references to drug smuggling because Morelos is from Colombia?

I don't read it but it wouldn't surprise me

Spoiler

The Charlie Nicholas is as poor an article as you will see, what an utter twat of a man.

The young lad has obviously decided Scotland is who he wants to play for, McLeish has quite rightfully sought him out as he has playing at the very highest level and one of the worlds top managers rates him highly. Get behind the lad

Nicholas proposing an argument as well thought out as his attempts at banter. 

As mentioned by previous posters, there seems to be something distinctly Scottish about setting your stall out in the complete polar opposite side of public opinion in the faint hope that failure follows so you can lord it over folk.

On paper, it is an early, big win for McLeish (and Mackay who I believe, along with Gemmill, did most of the legwork). Can't say I know terribly much about McTominay but if Mourinho rates him as highly as he appears to, it certainly augurs well. Will be interesting to see McLeish's first squad - real chance to make a statement.

Well, quite. I’m fairly sure Jackson phoned up Nicholas and he telephoned in his opinions for a large fee. The idea that Nicholas actually wrote that is laughable - he can barely string a coherent sentence together.

Keith Jackson. Journalist of the year for the last five years running.

Guest DAVIDB69

I hope the guy is decent but my main problem is as follows.

The very low bar we set on relation to what is showing form or being of international quality.

Think the main issue is he will suddenly become a regular just because he is on the books of Manchester United , irrespective of whether he is even very good.

Once you get your foot in the scotland squad there is never any factor regards staying there

You don’t even have to be playing club football to suddenly become a permanent fixture

Charlie Nicholas is a walloper, the guy might have been born and brought up in England but if his old man is Scottish and raises him as Scottish then surely he should be playing for Scotland regardless of where he lived! 

Exactly. Charlie Nic seems to be confusing international football with club football. You don't - with a few exceptions - aim to be picked by the best country who'll have you.

1 hour ago, DAVIDB69 said:

The very low bar we set on relation to what is showing form or being of international quality.

Think the main issue is he will suddenly become a regular just because he is on the books of Manchester United , irrespective of whether he is even very good.

Once you get your foot in the scotland squad there is never any factor regards staying there

You don’t even have to be playing club football to suddenly become a permanent fixture

Apart from all the guys who have come and gone from international squads, you have a great point.

15 hours ago, DAVIDB69 said:

He's not merely "on the books" at Man U. He is starting in Champions League games and top level Premiership games ahead of Paul Pogba (when we're talking about hype you want to see how much heid rippin there was over that signing). 

Also, nobody is suggesting he will become a regular. There's a huge amount of straw-man creation on this thread. The response has been pretty sober. It's great that a player with huge promise has chosen us over England. The difference being that he has chosen. It isn't a case that he just hasn't been called up for England and has opted for us (my main issue with the Granny-rule players), but he didn't even meet with Southgate. People are delighted and encouraged by that. We're hopeful that he'll become a top player. Those in the know are thinking he'll be a top player (Mourinho rates him and trusts him hugely) so you'd forgive us for being massively excited, and we'd surely be allowed that.

Nobody is massively excited though. We know that he might not kick on and he could end up being utterly average, but we're hopeful he won't be. 

I know that supporting Scotland has been traumatic over the decades (and I'm a Partick Thistle fan, too, with numerous relegations and being a bawhair from liquidation, so I get it) and that creates a certain cynicism borne of fear. We're afraid that we'll get carried away only to be crushed by disappointment.

This is especially the case with players. Psychologically we may not have recovered from the 1970's, where we had teams packed with European Cup winners and League champions, and we failed spectacularly and creatively at each of the tournaments we entered. Hell, it could be argued that 1978 left a huge wound which hasn't yet been healed and has left us with a sense that any positive expectations will result in catastrophe. 

I really don't see how or why Nicholas still gets a job in punditry. He talks utter shite, even when he does manage to put together a coherent sentence.

Don't remember him complaining too much about Richard Gough, Andy Goram, Stuart McCall or Kieran Tierney who were all born outside of Scotland.

10 hours ago, peasy23 said:

I really don't see how or why Nicholas still gets a job in punditry. He talks utter shite, even when he does manage to put together a coherent sentence.

Because spouting shite gets people wound up and the story gets spread like wildfire. If people would just ignore it then we'd maybe see some journalism worth reading.

Because spouting shite gets people wound up and the story gets spread like wildfire. If people would just ignore it then we'd maybe see some journalism worth reading.

It’s like Adrian Durham. You’d have to be insane to believe some of the stuff he comes out with. Yet people fall for it every time. Which makes the likes of him and Charlie worth every penny they get paid by their employers.

And let's face it, no matter how raging people get at what he says, it's more traffic than they'd get from some sober face going up and giving some bland, meaningless platitudes.  Someone saying "Scott made a good choice I hope he's pure good" isn't the same as some jake saying something reprehensible.

5 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

It’s like Adrian Durham. You’d have to believe some of the stuff he comes out with. Yet people fall for it every time. Which makes the likes of him and Charlie worth every penny they get paid by their employers.

A perfect example.  Why more people don't see the massive fishing rod he's dangling each time, I don't know.  Probably because those phoning in to bite are thick taxi drivers and the like.

Have to grudgingly admit, despite being a prize bell-end - and likely is similar to his radio persona in real-life - you have to admire the reaction he brings out.  I don't really see the point in getting worked up about any of the shit in the media or the like, and I know he's just trolling, but he still manages to rile me up every so often.

A perfect example.  Why more people don't see the massive fishing rod he's dangling each time, I don't know.  Probably because those phoning in to bite are thick taxi drivers and the like.
Have to grudgingly admit, despite being a prize bell-end - and likely is similar to his radio persona in real-life - you have to admire the reaction he brings out.  I don't really see the point in getting worked up about any of the shit in the media or the like, and I know he's just trolling, but he still manages to rile me up every so often.

Good god, imagine going for a pint with Adrian Durham. I can’t think anything more interminably dull. Bet he doesn’t even drink.

2 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Good god, imagine going for a pint with Adrian Durham. I can’t think anything more interminably dull. Bet he doesn’t even drink.

I'd imagine he does, but one specific thing.  He'd be the type that would sneer if you ordered something different, while still passive aggressively calling you mate.  I imagine he was bullied quite extensively as a child.

I’m sure Dominic Matteo was an unused sub in a qualifier for England and then later got capped for Scotland. He’s probably the only player on a team sheet in competitive matches for two countries

I think about a third of the Kosovo team played competitively for other countries before representing Kosovo because Kosovo weren't members of fifa or uefa until recently.

I think about a third of the Kosovo team played competitively for other countries before representing Kosovo because Kosovo weren't members of fifa or uefa until recently.

Alfredo Di Stefano was capped by Argentina, Colombia and Spain and think quite a few others from that era were dual or more caps. Berat Berisha of Melbourne Victory has 17 caps for Albania and 1 for Kosovo.