Scott McTominay

45 minutes ago, stuart87 said:

Not really too sure what McLeish can really say to him. If he feels more Scottish, play for Scotland. If he feels more English, play for England. 

Let's not pretend "feeling" has anything to do with it.  If it was, he'd have made his decision yonks ago.  There are very few cases where the player is genuinely capable of playing for Scotland or England.   Frankly, McLeish has to be making the point that McTominay probably isn't going to get very many opportunities for England.

He'll do whichever means the best for his career.  Is three caps for England better for his career than forty five for Scotland?  

James Morrison is about the only one who would have certainly been capped by England by now, but he's got the best part of fifty for us, which is far more than he would have down south.  In the end, for these guys, it seems to be about playing regularly at the highest level.  Which makes me optimistic about Scotland's chances of getting him.  

Let's not pretend "feeling" has anything to do with it.  If it was, he'd have made his decision yonks ago.  There are very few cases where the player is genuinely capable of playing for Scotland or England.   Frankly, McLeish has to be making the point that McTominay probably isn't going to get very many opportunities for England.
He'll do whichever means the best for his career.  Is three caps for England better for his career than forty five for Scotland?  
James Morrison is about the only one who would have certainly been capped by England by now, but he's got the best part of fifty for us, which is far more than he would have down south.  In the end, for these guys, it seems to be about playing regularly at the highest level.  Which makes me optimistic about Scotland's chances of getting him.  

I think if feeling didn’t come into it he would have picked England long ago.

He’s 21 years old - of course he’s going to think he’s good enough to become an England regular.

8 hours ago, stuart87 said:

Not really too sure what McLeish can really say to him. If he feels more Scottish, play for Scotland. If he feels more English, play for England. 

Media reports say that McTominay has attended Scotland youth training camps but has not been selected for a squad. Southgate could have picked him for the England U21s.  Mourinho publicly declared that Scotland should move fast to secure his allegiance. It would be reasonable to assume that Scotland was McTominay's first choice. 

It now depends on whether he wants to play for McLeish after meeting him.  McLeish should have given him assurances that he's in his plans for the Nations Cup. Southgate has a much bigger pool of players with lots of experience to choose from. It's unlikely that he would give him a selection commitment.

Edited by Bishop Briggs

Managers come and go all the time. It shouldn’t matter if he wants to play under Mcleish  or Southgate as in two years time it could be two different managers. 

Also, everyone knows it’s harder to get in the England team than the Scotland team. McTominatay doesn’t need told this so for me it just comes down to what country he would prefer to represent. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43279384?ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbc_match_of_the_day&ns_source=facebook&ns_linkname=sport

Manchester United midfielder Scott McTominay has decided to pledge his international future to Scotland.

McTominay, 21, met Scotland boss Alex McLeish at United's Carrington training ground on Thursday.

England boss Gareth Southgate was due to visit United on Friday but it is understood McTominay did not meet him.

McTominay, who has made 15 appearances for United this season, was born in Lancaster but qualifies for Scotland due to his Glaswegian father.

He is yet to play for either country at any level.

McTominay was selected by Jose Mourinho ahead of £89m record signing Paul Pogba for the Champions League last-16 draw with Sevilla last month.

He made his senior debut against Arsenal in May and has played 17 games, including starting the past three.

McTominay, who has been associated with United since he was five, signed a new contract in October that will keep him at Old Trafford until 2021.

Analysis

Former Scotland striker James McFadden speaking on BBC Scotland's Sportsound.

His stature, how he goes about his game, he reminds me of Darren Fletcher, and if we can get someone who has been as good for Scotland as Darren Fletcher it's a great acquisition.

I know you don't really sign players for the international team but England were interested in him, and it's fantastic he's chosen to play for Scotland.

Not because he's not good enough for England but because he wants to play for Scotland and that's great to see. He's a fantastic young player and it's great for us as a country.

I'm sure he would have met with Alex [Mcleish] and straight away got to see what kind of guy he is. That's what struck me when I met him as a young player. He's a great guy, and he gets the best out of players.

It's a huge notch for him to get someone with the huge talent of McTominay to come and play for us.

"I know you don't really sign players for the international team....." - James McFadden, 2018

Good to know our soon to be first-team coach is so on the ball

18 hours ago, paul-r-cfc said:

Remember when we managed to play the rulebook to allow Andrew Driver to play for us.

We've never looked back with him

Or indeed forward.

Honestly not sure what point people are trying to make here.

Some youngsters don't make it? Fine we need more not less.

Don't get excited? Honestly if you can't get excited about a 21 year old Scot starting in huge games for one of the world's biggest club you might as well give up. 

Try smiling, or church perhaps. You'll feel better.

Edit: Great news, seems Eck can smile.

Edited by The Algebraist

Or indeed forward.
Honestly not sure what point people are trying to make here.
Some youngsters don't make? Fine we need more not less.
Don't get excited? Honestly if you can't get excited about a 21 year old Scot starting in huge games for one of the world's biggest club you might as well give up. 
Try smiling, or church perhaps. You'll feel better.

Mine was a tongue in cheek response to the previous post about Donald Love. I'm very pleased with it.

Even if he doesn't live up to the hype, he looks promising so far so a coup to get him

37 minutes ago, F_T_Y said:

Remember when that defender donald love played a couple of games for man u and everyone lost their shit, this sounds familiar. If he was that committed he would have played in the youth teams.

Donald Love was quite obviously shite though, and was only being picked in nothing games.  This boy looks to have something about him and has already been trusted in a big Champions League game.

35 minutes ago, F_T_Y said:

Remember when that defender donald love played a couple of games for man u and everyone lost their shit, this sounds familiar. If he was that committed he would have played in the youth teams.

On the contrary I remember posting on here about Donald Love after his first few games (I hadn't watched him) and the consensus was that he was shite.