Stenny Vs Cowden

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

3 minutes ago, CEMSFC said:
4 minutes ago, big al said:
Oh really?
im actually raging it’s thebinlt game in Scotland at 7.30 as I couldn’t quite make that time from work

Knew that would come back to bite

It’s only half time 

Managed to high-tail it back from work just in time to make kick-off and I wished I hadn't bothered. That was a very shitebag performance for Stenhousemuir and we didn't deserve to take anything from it. Fair play to Cowdenbeath - I didn't think all that much of them, being honest, but they were right up for a fight and scored a lovely goal to win the contest. In Bryan Gilfillan and Jamie Pyper they had the two best players on the park, two players who won everything thrown at them and organised and pushed their team-mates around. Their time-wasting tactics were frustrating - and you can't blame them for running down the clock 30 minutes into the game - the referee did nothing to curb it. David McGurn was at it for the best part of the match but the referee didn't speak to him once. But what does it matter when we didn't have anyone who matched their dig and determination? It's probably come a bit too late for them but if they show the same spirit between now and the end of term and they might just have a chance.

Stenhousemuir just weren't up for it. How on earth can you beat Peterhead away from home one week and lose to the worst team in Scotland the next? They sleepwalked their way through the first half and by the time they finally roused themselves, they were two goals down. If Colin McMenamin had scored immediately after the interval, we might have gone on to win it, but he didn't. Other than McMenamin's effort and Jamie Longworth's well-taken consolation, their whole gameplan amounted to nothing more than pumping it long; it didn't work once. Every ball met the head of Pyper or Gilfillan (and latterly Scott Rumsby) while Cowden mopped up any seconds. Nothing went our way, but you make your own luck, and Cowden just wanted it more than us. Players like Alan Cook and Nicki Paterson typified this evening's performance and both players were anonymous. That said - Harry Paton was generally excellent and did his best to drive the team on, despite the opposition's best attempts to take him out of the game.

I'm worried about our current form. Clyde are a handful of points behind us and there is a very real chance they can overtake us and beat us to the final play-off place. Our run in is supposedly easier but we will really need to give ourselves a shake - we approached tonight's game with the wrong attitude and it cost us. The pressure really is on Bomber now.

What a topsy turvy season.

Not for the first time we made life so difficult for ourselves with that 1st half performance. There is only so much Paton can do especially when the rest of the team were as bad as they were.

Suppose this is what we’ve come to expect from this team.

Archived