Bankies nxt season

combineharvester

13 minutes ago, GLESGABOY said:

Who forms the Stadium Committee? How much are each of the parties putting in?

There will be a committee of 6 with 2 from each party. The money is coming from the council. 

• Replies 799
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Just because you mentioned Pollok, this caught my eye on the twitter replies to Clydebank's announcement.

Capture.JPG

Their 19s have built up something really good past year or two.  Lot of time for them well run team. 

29 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Predates my time on the forum. So it's an assumption of my part that they chose the EoSFL rather than being rejected by the SoSFL, which I had never considered as both leagues have been quite accomodating more often than not.

The way their previous incarnation died off, I think they had reservations. The first year (or two?) they played at a public park in Annan before getting the keys to Raydale. I'll have a wee google and see if I can turn anything up. Thinking about it, I'm certain the SoS said 'NAW', so they went to the EoS instead.

Edit: something at least, if not the rationale:

Although the club were originally declined entry into the South of Scotland league, they were accepted by the East of Scotland league and following promotion to its Premier Division last season are now looking back up again rather than down.

http://www.supporters-direct.scot/community-ownership-week-gretna-f-c-2008/

And a bit more digging in the Solway Press archives shows Gretna Mk 1 still existing  as of the start of June 2008 and were included in some cup draws, but by the 11th of July the South of Scotland had turned them down and they instead were admitted to the EoSFL. http://www.solwaypress.co.uk/archiveViewer.asp?ID=224&r=f

11/07/2008 : GRETNA HEAD EAST FOR NEW SEASON

GRETNA are back in business after being admitted to the East of Scotland League.

The town's dream of having a league side next season has come true after months of frantic effort including a series of public meetings.

The newly formed Gretna FC were admitted to the East of Scotland League last night (THURS) and will start their East Division 1 campaign on Saturday August 9.

They successfully applied for admission to the East of Scotland Association after their failure to secure membership of the South of Scotland

Success for the club came at  a special meeting in Edinburgh when their case was put forward by Anton Hodge, secretary of the trust owned club.

The member clubs of the East Association gave the go ahead to the new club to play in Division 1 and it will now mean that relegated Selkirk will remain in the East Premier League.

Manager Stuart Rome, who was also at the meeting, said he was delighted with the result and the club and players were 'raring to go.'

The new Gretna FC will play their home games at the Everholm at Annan after negotiating a deal with Annandale and Eskdale Sports Trust. They hope to return to Raydale Park if Dumfries and Galloway Council can purchase the three acre estate put up for sale by liquators of the old Gretna FC Limited.

Rome will take his squad, which is now up to 19, out for their first match tomorrow (SAT) against his old club Workington Reds at Borough Park.

The fledgling club, formed in the wake of the collapse of Brooks Mileson's old Gretna side, had applied to the South of Scotland League to join. But the South Association had failed to give them approval and the club officials decided to apply to the East Association.

Hodge said their main aim had been to get the club into a league this season so that they did not lose the momentum. "We will be using the Everholm as our home ground for the present time but we are hoping at we will be able to return Raydale.

Rome has been quick to form his squad and said that although he had enjoyed his spell at Borough Park where he took Workington Reds to Lancashire League glory last season, he was Gretna born and bred and could not turn down the chance to manage the new side.

"I've lived in Gretna for 48 years and to lose its football team after 62 years would have been terrible. Now we're on our way back," he said.

I would rather be playing Kilbirnie,Pollok,Beith than Edinburgh City, BSC and Spartans.
Maybe the SFA should look at what is the better product and actually help the Juniors rather than penalise them? Ambitious teams like clydebank my backside.... wanting more money to compete in a mediocre league and Level more like. No thanks.

1 hour ago, geo87 said:

Thought arrogance like this could only be spouted by fans of the ugly sisters!

Only trying to say that the big Scottish is not the lure some think to jump ship, such is opinion of the LL and tier 6 in some quarters. The points made about money are fair. 

17 minutes ago, Harry's Corner said:

I would rather be playing Kilbirnie,Pollok,Beith than Edinburgh City, BSC and Spartans.
Maybe the SFA should look at what is the better product and actually help the Juniors rather than penalise them? Ambitious teams like clydebank my backside.... wanting more money to compete in a mediocre league and Level more like. No thanks.

Why pick some of the lowest ranked teams in the SPFL to compare them to some of the best in the Juniors?  Some junior fans would probably argue that Dumbarton are not much bigger than some of the top Junior sides yet in the last 5 years we've been to Ibrox, Tynecastle and Easter Road on League business (and have a cup final later this month).  It's a terrible attitude to have that you could only ever play in the lowest tier in the seniors, once you're there it's down to your club what you make of it. Those with ambition like Clydebank will have the opportunity to achieve what they want in the leagues, within realistic reason. Not saying it's all rosy and a skoosh to get your club through the leagues,  but that is surely what football is about?

If you want to argue that the seniors isn't a better level of football than the juniors then I'm afraid I can't take you seriously.

Talbot
Cumnock
Glenafton
Kilwinning
Pollok
Beith
Kilbirnie
Clydebank
East Stirlingshire
Linlithgow
Bo'ness
Bonnyrigg
Kelty
Cowdenbeath
Clyde
East Kilbride
Spartans
Penicuik

Get yer fingers out and we could something like that with strong East and West feeders which would be fantastic. Think a bit longer term rather than whining about "glorified boys clubs" or public park football for a season or once in a blue moon away games at Elgin.
The idea sounds good, but if it's going to happen then it needs to happen for everyone at once. An Ayrshire club won't do it as it's too much to risk just now. Kilwinning for example aren't going to wave bye to the revenue brought by Beith, Talbot, Pollok etc for a few years travelling around the country which may or may not work in the long term.

The appeal for some of the big West clubs would be to retain all these local rivalries while offering an opportunity to progress up the leagues.

It's different for a club like Clydebank who were latecomers into the juniors and never really formed a decent rivalry with any local clubs, and for a club like Dalkeith who were never that successful and don't have much to lose.

Most clubs are run on a very part time basis by volunteers who have to perform a risk and business assessment in addition to their main occupations and family lives. Progress on this issue is bound to be slow.

56 minutes ago, Harry's Corner said:

The SFA don't see the Juniors as a product, otherwise they would have gone to them. Does it generate significant sponsorship? No. Does it generate revenue from TV rights? No. Does it garner significant increases in attendances that would improve their bottom line? No, the same people will be going to games you've just rearranged the deck chairs. Will it improve the talent pool for the national side? Not really, they'll be the odd one or two just like now.

Realistically adding the Juniors en masse to the Senior Pyramid will have no real effect on full time football in the coutry or youth development. Those are what the SFA cares about as it benefits them. That's why we have the SJFA, SYFA, SAFA etc.

That's why its upto the SJFA to go to the SFA. Hopefully this questionnaire will lead to the SJFA board/committee to put forward a proposal to be slotted in at Tier 6. Otherwise its going to be the gradual movement of clubs from Junior to Senior and eventually we'll have a WoSFL.

Why pick some of the lowest ranked teams in the SPFL to compare them to some of the best in the Juniors?  Some junior fans would probably argue that Dumbarton are not much bigger than some of the top Junior sides yet in the last 5 years we've been to Ibrox, Tynecastle and Easter Road on League business (and have a cup final later this month).  It's a terrible attitude to have that you could only ever play in the lowest tier in the seniors, once you're there it's down to your club what you make of it. Those with ambition like Clydebank will have the opportunity to achieve what they want in the leagues, within realistic reason. Not saying it's all rosy and a skoosh to get your club through the leagues,  but that is surely what football is about?
If you want to argue that the seniors isn't a better level of football than the juniors then I'm afraid I can't take you seriously.
Don't get ambition mixed up with arrogance my friend. Clydebank are not an established team like the top tier Juniors. They are moving purely on historical sentimental reasons thinking they are still a big club.... They ain't. They want to be playing the big boys and yes I get that but ffs show some decent standard at juniors level before you do.

I refer to the SFA who just can't see past their own system and diss the juniors.
If they only looked at the juniors product i.e fanbase and advertisement reach they would realise it had a bigger potential than the cluster of the LL.

The SFA don't see the Juniors as a product, otherwise they would have gone to them. Does it generate significant sponsorship? No. Does it generate revenue from TV rights? No. Does it garner significant increases in attendances that would improve their bottom line? No, the same people will be going to games you've just rearranged the deck chairs. Will it improve the talent pool for the national side? Not really, they'll be the odd one or two just like now.
Realistically adding the Juniors en masse to the Senior Pyramid will have no real effect on full time football in the coutry or youth development. Those are what the SFA cares about as it benefits them. That's why we have the SJFA, SYFA, SAFA etc.
That's why its upto the SJFA to go to the SFA. Hopefully this questionnaire will lead to the SJFA board/committee to put forward a proposal to be slotted in at Tier 6. Otherwise its going to be the gradual movement of clubs from Junior to Senior and eventually we'll have a WoSFL.
It generates lots more than LL, HL and must 3rd division rubbish.

AND adding LL to the tier has helped eh? [emoji848]
See this rubbish of we show go to them ... why? The juniors is healthier than most of the bottom tier clubs and LL.
It's only backed up by finance filtered down by sfa because these teams couldn't live without the handouts.
Instead of shooting down the juniors and some newco clubs like clydebank wanting a piece of the cash pie get a common sense approach by all and sort it out.

1st movement do away with the LL

15 minutes ago, Harry's Corner said:

They are moving purely on historical sentimental reasons thinking they are still a big club.... They ain't. 

Didn't realise you were a spokesperson on behalf of the club. I can assure you this is not the main reason the vast majority voted for. If you were a fan of the club speaking to fans day to day you'd know that. 

Didn't realise you were a spokesperson on behalf of the club. I can assure you this is not the main reason the vast majority voted for. If you were a fan of the club speaking to fans day to day you'd know that. 
Aye sure that'll be right lol. They have no home ground and no history yet you lot want to go to a so called higher level.

Please tell me why they want to move outwith the chance of getting more cash...oh and playing Dumbarton now and again

50 minutes ago, energyzone said:

The idea sounds good, but if it's going to happen then it needs to happen for everyone at once. An Ayrshire club won't do it as it's too much to risk just now. Kilwinning for example aren't going to wave bye to the revenue brought by Beith, Talbot, Pollok etc for a few years travelling around the country which may or may not work in the long term.

The appeal for some of the big West clubs would be to retain all these local rivalries while offering an opportunity to progress up the leagues.

It's different for a club like Clydebank who were latecomers into the juniors and never really formed a decent rivalry with any local clubs, and for a club like Dalkeith who were never that successful and don't have much to lose.

Most clubs are run on a very part time basis by volunteers who have to perform a risk and business assessment in addition to their main occupations and family lives. Progress on this issue is bound to be slow.

It really depends what our fans want, for every Beith/Talbot match there’s a Girvan/Arthurlie one, I’d say Clydebank was one of our largest crowds this season, sorry to see them go. On the other hand our fans of tomorrow will be members of our youth teams and people coming via the community sports club, we still have to explain what “junior “ is to them, the junior fans aren’t there in the masses anymore, being top of the West hasn’t inspired the town to come back out and support us, that could be pure apathy to the junior grade which competes for attention with the best in the world beamed into houses. It could be the one League Home game every 70 days. The lack of promotion might also be an issue.

3 minutes ago, Harry's Corner said:

It generates lots more than LL, HL and must 3rd division rubbish.

AND adding LL to the tier has helped eh? emoji848.png
See this rubbish of we show go to them ... why? The juniors is healthier than most of the bottom tier clubs and LL.
It's only backed up by finance filtered down by sfa because these teams couldn't live without the handouts.
Instead of shooting down the juniors and some newco clubs like clydebank wanting a piece of the cash pie get a common sense approach by all and sort it out.

1st movement do away with the LL

1) Adding the Lowland League has helped. Didn't see anyone try and get a pyramid structure going until then. The then SFL clubs put in very minor punishments for finishing bottom of the Third Division. Junior clubs were happy with the token Scottish Cup entry and licencing had just become a thing that allowed them to guarantee entry while staying put in the Junior ranks.

Lowland League comes around. Relegation from the now SPFL became a possibility, Junior clubs would have to sign up for the pyramid system to gain a licence. People actually start addressing the issue of a pyramid system and integrating the grades.

2) The bottom of the SPFL and non-SPFL leagues are subsidised by sfa handouts. All the more reason for the SFA not to go to the Juniors! No real financial gain and smaller payments to existing members. The SJFA want in, they have to go to the SFA. Not the other way round.

3) Movement away from the Lowland League will probably happen. It's just going to be when there are enough WoS & EoS clubs in the pyramid structure of a strong enough standard to force the issue.

8 minutes ago, Harry's Corner said:

Aye sure that'll be right lol. They have no home ground and no history yet you lot want to go to a so called higher level.

Please tell me why they want to move outwith the chance of getting more cash...oh and playing Dumbarton now and again

Was going to spend time explaining but your first paragraph it's clear your only interested in slagging off our club with cheap digs. So I won't waste my time.

I'm more than happy to debate with people who have genuine interest and will add to the debate.

It's a mixed bag - yes some junior teams are better.

The point is without proper organisation you have teams applying purely because they can not through qualification.

Look at Edu Sport and BSC they are not proper teams in my book and offer nothing. Yet they are portraying themselves as football teams - no fans and no attachments to a town or area - joke

It really depends what our fans want, for every Beith/Talbot match there’s a Girvan/Arthurlie one, I’d say Clydebank was one of our largest crowds this season, sorry to see them go. On the other hand our fans of tomorrow will be members of our youth teams and people coming via the community sports club, we still have to explain what “junior “ is to them, the junior fans aren’t there in the masses anymore, being top of the West hasn’t inspired the town to come back out and support us, that could be pure apathy to the junior grade which competes for attention with the best in the world beamed into houses. It could be the one League Home game every 70 days. The lack of promotion might also be an issue.

You'll know the attendance situation far better than me of course, but a few mitigating factors spring to mind - the horrendous weather this season which saw matches being called off in August elsewhere, which has a knock-on effect. A few times I've not been down because the weather is too bad to bring the kids. The lack of scheduled fixtures, meaning we don't really know when the next home match will be.

The early exit from the Scottish cup didn't help of course. The league run is brilliant but the league fixtures are so irregular that it's hard to maintain a consistent excitement about it.

And what's frustrating about it is that the Abbey Park surface is generally really good and very durable which means that matches could get played there almost every week. Instead the team are kicking their heels and losing that match sharpness.

29 minutes ago, Auld Heid said:

It's a mixed bag - yes some junior teams are better.

The point is without proper organisation you have teams applying purely because they can not through qualification.

Look at Edu Sport and BSC they are not proper teams in my book and offer nothing. Yet they are portraying themselves as football teams - no fans and no attachments to a town or area - joke

I would say BSC do have an attachment to a town or area as they're from Broomhill and are looking to have a home ground within that area eventually.

EDIT: Yip, seem pretty attached to the Broomhill area http://www.broomhillsportsclub.org.uk/index.html Although why they've hired a team of actors to portray a football team i'll never know. It's not like A Shot At Glory was a money spinner.

Was going to spend time explaining but your first paragraph it's clear your only interested in slagging off our club with cheap digs. So I won't waste my time.
I'm more than happy to debate with people who have genuine interest and will add to the debate.
No cheap digs. Listened and read comments from the newco Bankies on here for years bleating about how they are not a juniors outfit and get back to the spiritual seniors level. Well you need to earn it and you have failed miserably.
Why would i debate with you who does not understand the juniors?

Wise up buddy, we know you're wanting to go for the cash and handouts ynsey come with it.

I would say BSC do have an attachment to a town or area as they're from Broomhill and are looking to have a home ground within that area eventually.
Never gonna happen, the area is too affluent with middle class spam valliers and Partick Thistle is within walking distance.

Archived