Arbroath vs Ayr United

I would love it if Arbroath came up. Much better away day than Dumbarton and it’d be a huge achievement given they were in League 2 last season.

Unless Raith win the league then I hope we win the playoffs.

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply
one man doesnt make a team but the loss of doris has been a huge loss this season. saying that all lichtie fans if asked at the start of the season if we are in the play offs it would be a successful season. but maybe just maybe championship beckons

Tbf if we had lost Shankland to long term injury then I'm sure we wouldn't be top of the league, some players are pretty crucial to a team.

I think both teams did rather well considering the conditions, and a draw probably a fair result overall.
Two months ago I wouldn't have believed I would have said this; but I think people are being harsh on Swankie's performance last night and I think it should be pointed out Dick made an excellent tactical change at half time going to 4 at the back in the second half. I think if we'd stuck with the 3 we'd have been overrun out wide and I think Dick learnt from both of the 4-1 games against Ayr earlier in the year. I'm quick to criticise him, so it's only right he gets praise when he gets things right.
In terms of Swankie, no-one can really be singled out last night for criticism in my opinion. The conditions made things very difficult, and a lot of Swankie's game is precision passing which was virtually impossible last night. He got stuck in when he was moved into the centre of the park and yet again the difference last night compared to the first half of the season in terms of determination and commitment seems to be night and day.  After a very slow start to the season I think he might just be coming good at the right time if he continues with the same attitude and application through the play offs he'll be an important player for us in the play offs.

Totally agree about the change to a back 4 at half time. Thought Gomes was brilliant. The save from a header in the second half looked incredible. I thought it was in. Defence was excellent as well. I think a draw was a fair result just disappointing to lose a late goal from a strange free kick decision. Haven’t seen the highlights yet but will be interesting to see that again. Not a bad point though. Hope Gold is okay as well and thought DD was holding his hamstring when he went off so hopefully he’s okay too.

Draw absolutely fair. I agree it looks a strange decision for the free kick, can only assume the ref saw Martin's studs go into Adams' ankle, but not sure really what else he could do. However, you'd think the referee had given an incorrect penalty given the importance some folk are putting on the decision. McGuffie's starting position was on the right wing, when the free kick was taken; he scored from the essentially the left hand edge of the 6 yard box. As one Arbroath fan has said, plenty time to sort out the situation.

If we can hang on and win this league, would enjoy Arbroath joining us.

Draw absolutely fair. I agree it looks a strange decision for the free kick, can only assume the ref saw Martin's studs go into Adams' ankle, but not sure really what else he could do. However, you'd think the referee had given an incorrect penalty given the importance some folk are putting on the decision. McGuffie's starting position was on the right wing, when the free kick was taken; he scored from the essentially the left hand edge of the 6 yard box. As one Arbroath fan has said, plenty time to sort out the situation.
If we can hang on and win this league, would enjoy Arbroath joining us.

Don’t think that really matters. We had possession and were in Ayrs half. The free kick pinned our whole team back into our own box and the goal scored 20 seconds after the free kick was taken. Not saying it’s fully the refs fault but that decision played a huge part in the goal.

Thought we matched Ayr for fitness also in horrendous conditions, also agree if the ref does not give that bizarre decision we win the game (well 99% sure we would).

Gomes look good and TOB & Ricky are pure class, Martin was excellent as was Bobby, but all in all every player was very good and the work rate was superb.

C'Mon the Red Lichties.

Archived