Question re West Region restructuring play-offs

glensmad

Does anybody know if the West Region restructuring play-offs at the end of this season will be played under league rules or cup rules ? In other words, will it be signed players only, or will teams be able to bring in "trialists" for the play-offs ?

17 minutes ago, glensmad said:

Does anybody know if the West Region restructuring play-offs at the end of this season will be played under league rules or cup rules ? In other words, will it be signed players only, or will teams be able to bring in "trialists" for the play-offs ?

A number of years ago Clydebank were involved in the playoffs. The opposition were aware that they could play trialists, and did. Not sure if there were 2 or 3. Bankies thought it was a bit underhand, but the powers that be assured us it was legitimate. Lanark beat us over 2 legs.

16 hours ago, glensmad said:

I'm sure the rules were changed in recent years to be signed players only, but I could be wrong.

There is a date where you cant sign anyone who has played junior that season im sure, there was a way around this which I remember a club utilizing in the play offs, is this still possible?

1 minute ago, Nugent4nil said:

There is a date where you cant sign anyone who has played junior that season im sure, there was a way around this which I remember a club utilizing in the play offs, is this still possible?

March 31st.  About 3 seasons ago Kirkcaldy freed whole squad after their final match mid April if I recall and most of their players were snapped up and even featured in playoffs.

2 minutes ago, Tynieness said:

March 31st.  About 3 seasons ago Kirkcaldy freed whole squad after their final match mid April if I recall and most of their players were snapped up and even featured in playoffs.

Correct.

That is pretty much my point, i.e. teams who have finished their season could release players' registrations so that they can play as trialists in the play-offs for other teams, if the play-offs are played under league rules. I know that has happened in the past, from memory Pollok exposed that loophole the year that they were in the play-offs. I think after that the rules were changed to make the play-offs under cup tie rules, i.e. signed players only, and after 31st March you can only sign players who haven't played junior for another club during the season.

My question is, though, that as these play-offs are not just the Super Premier / Super 1st one like we have had previously, can we assume that they will be played under cup tie rules ? Has it been discussed or even thought about by the powers that be ?

A number of years ago Clydebank were involved in the playoffs. The opposition were aware that they could play trialists, and did. Not sure if there were 2 or 3. Bankies thought it was a bit underhand, but the powers that be assured us it was legitimate. Lanark beat us over 2 legs.

Clydebank did the same. Daz MacKinnon was registered from Amatuers for those two matches was he not?

Correct.
That is pretty much my point, i.e. teams who have finished their season could release players' registrations so that they can play as trialists in the play-offs for other teams, if the play-offs are played under league rules. I know that has happened in the past, from memory Pollok exposed that loophole the year that they were in the play-offs. I think after that the rules were changed to make the play-offs under cup tie rules, i.e. signed players only, and after 31st March you can only sign players who haven't played junior for another club during the season.
My question is, though, that as these play-offs are not just the Super Premier / Super 1st one like we have had previously, can we assume that they will be played under cup tie rules ? Has it been discussed or even thought about by the powers that be ?
Play-off was under league rules last season . Amateur or non signed players for the whole of that season can play as trialist.

Play-off was under league rules last season . Amateur or non signed players for the whole of that season can play as trialist.

What was to stop a player who has been released by another club playing as a Trialist if it's under league rules ? Surely it's under cup tie rules as you can only sign players with the status you refer to above ?

What was to stop a player who has been released by another club playing as a Trialist if it's under league rules ? Surely it's under cup tie rules as you can only sign players with the status you refer to above ?
You can't sign a player who has been released after the 31st or play him as a trialist if he has been signed with another junior club at any time that season .

You can't sign a player who has been released after the 31st or play him as a trialist if he has been signed with another junior club at any time that season .

You certainly can't sign them, but I think you can play them as a trialist. I may well be wrong about that though.

12 hours ago, EazyTheGall said:

Clydebank did the same. Daz MacKinnon was registered from Amatuers for those two matches was he not?

Yeah, Daz came from amateur. Played in the league too, not just play offs .As far as I can remember a couple of Lanark's trialists had been Pollok players till the end of that season.

Renfrew played Pollok in the play offs a few years back. Pollok's league campaign had long finished whilst Renfrew were still playing matches and in that time cherry-picked the best from the amateur ranks to help a side that were badly struggling.....the lad Sinky to name but a few were in their ranks and they were a far better side for it.

Last I heard there was a rule in place to stop the likes but unsure tbh.

Don't want to be a smart arse but yes you are wrong. The rule change was around 3 seasons ago. The year after JC appeared as your keeper after being released by Forth.

JC was the player I was thinking of when I based my theory. I didn't know the rule had changed after that.

Here's another interesting question, arising from tonight's news about Clydebank.

If Clydebank were to leave the juniors as early as this summer (as has been proven possible by Kelty Hearts), how would that affect the promotion and relegation issue to the new Premiership ?

To give a top league of 16 teams (which is what I would assume the powers that be would want for the showpiece top league) then there would need to be another automatic promotion spot this season from Super Division One.

Were Clydebank to finish in the bottom two (where they are just now), that would leave the only play-off being between 6th place in the Super First and the other team in the bottom two of the Premier. However, if Clydebank were to finish out of the bottom two, it complicates things even more.

Then there's the issue of how they make the new 2nd tier league up to 16 teams if 6 go up and only one comes down, or 5 go up and none come down.

This could well and truly put the cat amongst the pigeons.

Archived