Morton v Livingston - Tuesday 27th

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting choice by Duffy to forfeit our biggest game of the season so far in order to rest players on the off chance we beat the best team in the country on Saturday.

Livingston were excellent. Their organisation when the opposition are in possession is hugely impressive, all three centre backs are solid and the midfield  are just everywhere, allowing their opponents no space to play at all.

Not that that justifies the failure to give them any kind of challenge. Our excellent run of form was always going to end at some point, but to lose it by putting out an experimental line up then failing to change it while being utterly outplayed in our biggest game of the season rankles. Baird and McHugh as a partnership simply didn't work at all, but they both got 90 minutes and Oliver wasn't on until the 83rd minute when we were crying out for him to hold the ball up and give the defence and midfield an option other than shelling it into the channel.

We didn't deserve to get beat in that game - wouldn't have deserved to win either. Duffy must hold his hands up for that defeat, well him and Gaston.

Surely the 1st half of the season told Duffy that we don't win games and can't break down defences if you don't get width in the team!

I get the squad rotation thing as we have a lot of games in a short space of time, but dropping both our natural wide players was utterly bizarre. You either play Tiffs and drop Ross or the other way about. But you don't drop both of them and rely on an out of form Russell FFS! 

Gaston was nowhere to be seen for the goal. Total lack of concentration on his part cost us that goal. 

Livi were well organised as I expected them to be. Well done again for another 1-0 victory against us. Now go catch St Mirren!  

18 minutes ago, Demented Zebra said:

So tell me what three games we are going to throw away 9 points taking into account Livingstone win all there's.  You sweat it out mate me I'm relaxed we have by far the strongest squad in the league. 

You're not grasping the concept at all.

It's natural to want the team closest to you to lose, regardless of how many points clear we are.

For the record, we could very conceivably lose 3 games in the last 10. Livingston won't win all of their remaining games, nothing like it but I'd far rather have it wrapped up ASAP.

Don't get this 'too cool for school' angle. No-one is sweating anything out.

Duffy set his team out clearly prioritising the Celtic game like a fucking idiot.

He deserved the shitty heartless performance he got with the players clearly following his lead and having one eye on Celtic game.

Interesting choice by Duffy to forfeit our biggest game of the season so far in order to rest players on the off chance we beat the best team in the country on Saturday.
Livingston were excellent. Their organisation when the opposition are in possession is hugely impressive, all three centre backs are solid and the midfield  are just everywhere, allowing their opponents no space to play at all.
Not that that justifies the failure to give them any kind of challenge. Our excellent run of form was always going to end at some point, but to lose it by putting out an experimental line up then failing to change it while being utterly outplayed in our biggest game of the season rankles. Baird and McHugh as a partnership simply didn't work at all, but they both got 90 minutes and Oliver wasn't on until the 83rd minute when we were crying out for him to hold the ball up and give the defence and midfield an option other than shelling it into the channel.

100% spot on although I feel Duffy will be looking to avoid a thumping on Saturday rather than actually looking to win the game by resting our key players tonight. Bringing in Strapp from the cold for our biggest game of the season was moronic too. Duffy totally to blame tonight.

I notice De Vita got substituted after getting a yellow card for ‘a bad foul’ - according to the Sky Sports app.

He was the guy that went in with an OTT tackle against Morgan 10 days ago.

Was he taken off for tactical reasons, or was it one of those where ‘next foul he was off’?

Hard to imagine Saints finishing any lower than third now after that result tonight.

Can’t see Morton picking up 16 points on us over 10 games.

1 hour ago, Scosha said:

To the surprise of no one Baird has been shite. 

That's what the Falkirk fans told us and we didn't believe it, and it's exactly what the Caley fans told you last week and you told us Duffy would sort him out.

I'm very surprised Duffy didn't start Oliver and Tiffoney as for me they were the stand outs for you on Saturday.

That's what the Falkirk fans told us and we didn't believe it, and it's exactly what the Caley fans told you last week and you told us Duffy would sort him out.
I'm very surprised Duffy didn't start Oliver and Tiffoney as for me they were the stand outs for you on Saturday.

While I’m skeptical of the impact Baird will have, judging him on one game is a bit premature. He’s certainly not a bad player, and an extra option up front when we’ve struggled so badly with injuries going into the business end of previous campaigns can’t hurt.

That said, starting him in a crucial 2nd v 3rd game against a very good side who’ve beaten us twice already this season can (and did) hurt.

If we win at Parkhead all will be forgiven anyway.

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

You're not grasping the concept at all.

It's natural to want the team closest to you to lose, regardless of how many points clear we are.

For the record, we could very conceivably lose 3 games in the last 10. Livingston won't win all of their remaining games, nothing like it but I'd far rather have it wrapped up ASAP.

Don't get this 'too cool for school' angle. No-one is sweating anything out.

Well let's  see what pans out I'm comfortable in my corner of the room. St Mirren fans in general are a half empty glass bunch. Nothing in life comes easy I don't expect the title to come on a platter fully expect us to drop points just not as much as the chasing pack. 

Archived