Everyday scummy behaviour

Bairnardo

7 minutes ago, virginton said:

I'm pretty sure that half of Scotland did not actually descend on one wee tinpot village and that in fact the rest of the country's resorts/tourist attractions had an equally busy weekend as well. In fact I believe that CalMac were suspending the ferries to Millport of all places because of the volume of people trying to access the island and the social distancing issues caused by that. If locals can't stand day-trippers coming to their area then they really shouldn't have chosen to live next to one of the country's most famous lochs within half an hour's drive of its largest urban conurbation in the first place. The police have got better and more legitimate things to do with their time than maintain the delusion of their rural idyll. 

I apologise for saying half of Scotland, I thought it would've been clear that 2.5 million people didn't actually descend on a tiny village this weekend but that the number of people was clearly too much for the size of the area and thus social distancing would be impossible, but apparently not. 

If the people of Millport are justified in limiting the number of people going there for social distancing reasons then that reason is valid for any other small "tourist" spot that has a limited capacity. I'm not asking for a barricade to be erected every weekend and proof of address to be shown upon entry. 

10 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

Don’t think anyone thought it was, it’s a word that is used commonly and a lot of people don’t know/ don’t think about the origins of it. 

Being made aware of the origins and still defending your right to use it = w****r.

Being made aware of the origins and going back to edit the original post (like you did) = good guy. 

When I die can I still go hell? Im a piece of shit it aint hard to fucking tell. It dont make sense going to heaven with the goody goodies dressed in white -I wear black Timbs and black hoodies.

Edited by HeWhoWalksBehindTheRows

10 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I apologise for saying half of Scotland, I thought it would've been clear that 2.5 million people didn't actually descend on a tiny village this weekend but that the number of people was clearly too much for the size of the area and thus social distancing would be impossible, but apparently not. 

So how many people will the gated community of Luss let in out of the sheer goodness of their hearts, which parts of Scotland have they selected for the remainder of the scum visitors to go to and in what alternative universe is this information to be mass communicated before people actually set out to travel? 

If the people of Millport are justified in limiting the number of people going there for social distancing reasons then that reason is valid for any other small "tourist" spot that has a limited capacity. 

The people of Millport did no such thing: it was Calmac instead who had a meltdown about social distancing at the piers. Meaning that some of the islanders had their own tantrum about not being able to access the island because the ferries were suspended. 

I'm not asking for a barricade to be erected every weekend and proof of address to be shown upon entry. 

I don't see how your arbitrary 'that's plenty' barrier system would prove any more sensible or indeed practical than that tbh, as well as wasting police resources that should be going elsewhere. 

Edited by vikingTON

2 minutes ago, virginton said:

So how many people will the gated community of Luss let in out of the sheer goodness of their hearts, which parts of Scotland have they selected for the remainder of the scum visitors to go to and in what alternative universe is this information to be mass communicated before people actually set out to travel? 

The people of Millport did no such thing: it was Calmac instead who had a meltdown about social distancing at the piers. Meaning that some of the islanders had their own tantrum about not being able to access the island because the ferries were suspended. 

I don't see how your arbitrary 'that's plenty' barrier system would prove any more sensible or indeed practical than that tbh, as well as wasting police resources that should be going elsewhere. 

I'd guess that will be a question for the authorities/people of Luss. Given the police have parked their cars at Luss before and turned people around when it got too busy, I don't know why you're acting like this never could or should happen. An arbitrary "that's plenty" barrier, if you will.

It's weird that you think this isn't in the police remit either. I fully expect accusations of me being a "great laugh at parties" will be forthcoming here, but drinking in public places and wild camping in Loch Lomond are illegal, the police have failed massively this past weekend to prevent that happening. I agree other things are more important but I'm not sure that's justification for the free-for-all we've seen this weekend.

1 hour ago, virginton said:

Just because you paid to live next to an attraction/amenity does not mean that you get to use the polis to gatekeep public access to it. This isn't some post-Soviet kleptocracy. 

It's a far more traditional kleptocracy

25 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I'd guess that will be a question for the authorities/people of Luss. Given the police have parked their cars at Luss before and turned people around when it got too busy, I don't know why you're acting like this never could or should happen. An arbitrary "that's plenty" barrier, if you will.

It isn't a question for 'the authorities' (i.e. some gammon-led village council) or local residents at all. Choosing to live somewhere does not give you the right to gatekeep public access as and when you choose. They should console themselves in the knowledge that when cheap and relatively safe flights abroad are back up and running again their village will rarely have to experience the prospect of large crowds again: until then, they just have to suck it up as a knock-on effect of the pandemic. 

It's weird that you think this isn't in the police remit either. I fully expect accusations of me being a "great laugh at parties" will be forthcoming here, but drinking in public places and wild camping in Loch Lomond are illegal, the police have failed massively this past weekend to prevent that happening. I agree other things are more important but I'm not sure that's justification for the free-for-all we've seen this weekend.

If the police are out in force to deter drinking and wild camping there then they'd also by logical extension have to do so in every other part of the country that was heavily visited by visitors, tourists, campers etc. over the weekend. Not to mention literally gate-keeping at Kelvingrove Park as well because that's also been added to the list of areas that the police now have to control access to in this bizarre, Helen Lovejoy paradigm we're living under. Which doesn't leave too many of them around to deal with your bog-standard thefts, stabbings etc. which also take place in Scotland every weekend, nice weather or not. It's a question of prioritising police time and resources and trying to gatekeep on behalf of NIMBY locals all over the country should be at the very bottom of that list.

Edited by vikingTON

3 hours ago, The Moonster said:

The traffic round here over that last weekend was honestly outrageous, queued back from Luss to Dumbarton. I have no doubt Luss will be in a total state right now, but I really can't understand how it gets allowed to happen - put a police car at the Balloch roundabout and stop anycunt with a car full of bams and alcohol heading up there. I really feel for the folk in Luss, they've got a lovely wee village that gets absolutely ruined every time the sun comes out, I'm not sure I could refrain from heading along the shore with a truncheon if I lived there.

My family are from Luss. They hate it. I dislike going to visit them as it is impossible to find a parking space. 

Perhaps a strict enforcement of the alcohol ban as would be done in a city centre would be enough to put of moderate bams ( ie daft young adults who are otherwise responsible) make them think “ lets not go to loch lomond , theres too many polis and we’ll get done lets go somewhere else instead “
All you need, no gatekeepers and no free for all either

2 hours ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

Perhaps a strict enforcement of the alcohol ban as would be done in a city centre would be enough to put of moderate bams ( ie daft young adults who are otherwise responsible) make them think “ lets not go to loch lomond , theres too many polis and we’ll get done lets go somewhere else instead “
All you need, no gatekeepers and no free for all either

How do you suggest 'strict enforcement' of an alcohol ban all over the country actually works? Because if you're signalling that Loch Lomond alone will see a crackdown then they're just going to turn round and choose the next spot over the road instead, which would have the added effect of exacerbating the traffic problems that locals are whinging about now.

Only in Scotland btw does every weekend of decent weather lead to the police chasing people up and down the country to stop them from breaking tragic, Presbyterian by-laws or to tell them to go elsewhere within a free country - with a significant section of the population braying for more where that came from. It's a truly pathetic mindset when compared to the rest of Europe.

Edited by vikingTON