Decide Scottish cup venue now.

Duraglit shareholder

1 hour ago, Hillonearth said:

I've seen some of those notional capacities and it does make you wonder - some basic grounds in the North Region with hard standing all round and a railing round a pitch with capacities of 2000 and so on.

Out of the Glasgow ones I had a quick look on Wikipedia; Pollok's down as 5000, but I've seen 2000-odd in there and frankly don't know where you could fit in another 3000. Petershill's down as 900 which seems about right, and while we don't have one listed, we were capped at something like 660 for the Scottish tie between BSC Glasgow and Talbot which seemed low considering there had been over 1000 at a final there the previous year!

Vale of Clyde are down as 3000 and the Roch are down as 4215 which both seem way high and would involve people standing on grass banks or whatever to even get close to that figure, and the Ants and Bens must both be sub-1000...500-odd rammed New Tinto for the final there last year and when we hosted Linlithgow at McKenna Park last year the crowd was around 450 IIRC and was probably close to what it could comfortably hold.

Officially Petershill Park holds 2000, with 499 seats in the stand. There were 1100 or so paid in when we hosted Clydebank in the SJC Quarter Final in 2009ish, with another 100 or so kids who were admitted free, and there was still space for a goof few more.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would like to see the final somewhere that 90% of the ground is going to be full.

As mentioned before St Mirren park is perfect, ideal size for a junior cup final and it isn't terrible Astro - that everyone hates!! Players included!

In terms of Junior grounds having a think of one reasonably central with transport links how about Linlithgow? Any idea what if could hold? Surely could handle 5/6k? 

1 minute ago, Juniorfootball123 said:

I would like to see the final somewhere that 90% of the ground is going to be full.

As mentioned before St Mirren park is perfect, ideal size for a junior cup final and it isn't terrible Astro - that everyone hates!! Players included!

In terms of Junior grounds having a think of one reasonably central with transport links how about Linlithgow? Any idea what if could hold? Surely could handle 5/6k? 

Official capacity 3500 - although it's a fine ground, got to remember the far end's just grass banking.

3 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Officially Petershill Park holds 2000, with 499 seats in the stand. There were 1100 or so paid in when we hosted Clydebank in the SJC Quarter Final in 2009ish, with another 100 or so kids who were admitted free, and there was still space for a goof few more.

Yeah, both the new Petershill and our gaff could accommodate just over the 1000 mark I'd say..like Linlithgow above, both are essentially three-sided grounds these days.

How do people feel about a return to Hampden,say entry prices are raised to £10 to cover the costs involved.Many will feel its soulless and rubbish atmosphere when empty but you coud hardly descibe Rugby Park as jumping in previous finals.Its also reward for the players that have done so well in reaching the cup final,ask any player where they would like to play,most would consider it a highlight of their career to run out at Hampden.

6 minutes ago, Duraglit shareholder said:

How do people feel about a return to Hampden,say entry prices are raised to £10 to cover the costs involved.Many will feel its soulless and rubbish atmosphere when empty but you coud hardly descibe Rugby Park as jumping in previous finals.Its also reward for the players that have done so well in reaching the cup final,ask any player where they would like to play,most would consider it a highlight of their career to run out at Hampden.

Old Hampden I'd say yes in a minute - new one's a shit place to watch a game.

I've been to a couple of the amateur finals there where there's maybe 1000-1500 of a crowd, and the place sooks the atmosphere out of the occasion...with say 7-8000 there it wouldn't be much better.

8 hours ago, Shanner said:

Absolutely not. 

Could you imagine the bubbling at the prospect of last season's Talbot V Glens final at Livingstone when Rugby Park was available? (Bearing in mind the unhappiness at Meadow Park being used for the Ardach Final in some quarters). 

Personally I think the idea of showing a bit of flexibility in trying to find somewhere suitable for both parties is better than rigidly adhering to a preordained venue.  While there will be tears and snotters from fans of clubs who've been asked travel further than their opponents to the final venue (hiya Mussey fans), I'm not saying they get it right every time, but that the imperfections of the current system are far more tolerable than the daftness of the alternative suggested in the OP. 

Regardless what you think about the unfairness of some fans travelling much further than others, Rugby Park should never be used as a cup final version! If amateur cup finals can be played at Hampden, why not return to this ground for Junior cup finals. Not a great fan of Hampden, but much better than Kilmarnock’s ground!

2 hours ago, Duraglit shareholder said:

£24,000 has to provided as prize money to the finalists. The rent for Hampden is £20,000. So to very basic cover costs (not including stewards, policing, catering staff etc), the gate revenue has to be north of £44,000. Bearing in mind a significant proportion of the final will be concessions (and I'd also suggest that complimentaries are counted towards the published crowd), that would have a hefty impact on gate pricing.

6 hours ago, BC63 said:

I'd like to see an all west final at Somerset in Ayr. It's a perfect size for a Junior cup final with plenty of terrecing for standing.

Ayr's last home league match is on April 28th, unless they end up in the playoffs then they will be starting any work needed on the pitch asap after that. There's no way that they or any other senior club will hold off for a month on starting pitch works for the sake of a couple of grand ground rent for a Junior Cup Final.

Surprised no one's mentioned McDermid Park in Perth. Its right in the midle of Scotland and if thats what's right for SJFA AGM then surely its OK for cup final. Play it on the last day of the season, same as other big finals, have the AGM in the morning and the game in the afternoon. The AGM could even be held within the stadium as their function suite could easily accommodate it, and  it would be infinitely preferable to the sports hall it is currently held in where you cannot even get a cup of tea or any other refreshment.  Same problem I suppose of grass pitches not being in use in what is their close season, but really, is there major issue in playing one game on a  pitch which has been rested for a month and will have another three or four weeks before being played on again?

35 minutes ago, garrellburn said:

Surprised no one's mentioned McDermid Park in Perth. Its right in the midle of Scotland and if thats what's right for SJFA AGM then surely its OK for cup final. Play it on the last day of the season, same as other big finals, have the AGM in the morning and the game in the afternoon. The AGM could even be held within the stadium as their function suite could easily accommodate it, and  it would be infinitely preferable to the sports hall it is currently held in where you cannot even get a cup of tea or any other refreshment.  Same problem I suppose of grass pitches not being in use in what is their close season, but really, is there major issue in playing one game on a  pitch which has been rested for a month and will have another three or four weeks before being played on again?

Surely it would depend on what was being done, pitchwise? Goalmouths being reseeded will potentially  be unusable.

1 hour ago, Bigjimmcalpine said:

Nope nope nope , that would do away with neutrals and devalue it for me , the semi finals at a senior ground on a Friday night attracted large crowds , both semi final legs don't even equate to half the crowd that a Friday night one off senior ground game attracted , I feel it would devalue the cup final if played over two legs , it should be a one off gala occasion where the whole family from grandkids to great grandmothers attend for me .

Playing the semi finals on the same day as Scottish cup semi finals doesn’t help.

8 hours ago, jimbaxters said:

This forum should just run on a loop each calendar year.

The original post asked for peoples opinion whether the date and final venue should be decided before the finalists are known.Ask musselburgh fans if they were happy to travel west, twice to play Talbot in Ayrshire.Maybe if the final was fixed at a venue in the central belt area, would be  considered the fairer option.The question also asked if people think cup final day should be the last action of the season,or were quite happy for fixtures to continue after the final has been played.So Jim after youve weighed up a quarter of cola cubes,you could give your opinion on the above.

7 hours ago, Duraglit shareholder said:

The original post asked for peoples opinion whether the date and final venue should be decided before the finalists are known.Ask musselburgh fans if they were happy to travel west, twice to play Talbot in Ayrshire.Maybe if the final was fixed at a venue in the central belt area, would be  considered the fairer option.The question also asked if people think cup final day should be the last action of the season,or were quite happy for fixtures to continue after the final has been played.So Jim after youve weighed up a quarter of cola cubes,you could give your opinion on the above.

The point is I did so last year....and the year before that!

I remember attending a a central league meeting around about 1989 in what was then the Grosvenor Hotel in the west end.It was discussed at length about the possibility of going into partnership with a senior club to develop Junior footballs own “Hampden”. It would have been primarily for the Scottish cup final,but it was hoped it would have been suitable for regional finals.The to be honest I don’t think the idea was ever spoken about again.
Personally I think with the ongoing developments around Broadwood,it could become a decent permanent home for the Junior cup final.

Archived