Kingdom Come: Deliverance

placidcasual

There’s been a fair whack of controversy on the internet about this. Heard it’s very buggy.

Yeah I've not had any crashes yet but it definitely feels more like a beta. It's mostly graphical things like texture pop-in. Hasn't stopped me from enjoying it so far.

2 hours ago, placidcasual said:

Surprised there's no thread on this. P and B usually loves a RPG. Anyone else picked this up? I'm enjoying it a lot but imagine it'll be a bit divisive with the slow pacing.

There is one, but it was two years ago I started it and no one replied!

My enthusiasm was tempered when it turned out the lead developer appears to be a pretty unpleasant guy.  I may still get it once the bugs are ironed out though.  The concept is right up my street.

Reading a lot about people boycotting this game because its made by a racist or some other SJW nonsense.

The co-founder said there’s no pocs or whatevs because of historical accuracy when a) that’s an incredibly disputed claim and b) you can use health potions and alchemy. Suppose it would help if you were doubling down on something not to be a fucking moron but ah well.

A wee shame cause I like games with lots of janky features that try something different but it sounds like it doesn’t really match up to what’s been claimed about it.

12 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

The co-founder said there’s no pocs or whatevs because of historical accuracy when a) that’s an incredibly disputed claim and b) you can use health potions and alchemy. Suppose it would help if you were doubling down on something not to be a fucking moron but ah well.

A wee shame cause I like games with lots of janky features that try something different but it sounds like it doesn’t really match up to what’s been claimed about it.

Yeah, because people of colour didn't appear until the 19th century.

19 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

that’s an incredibly disputed claim

Remains of African people dating back to medieval times have been found all over Europe and there are written accounts of black and Asian people being within medieval societies as merchants, traders and soldiers, so the "historical accuracy" thing is more than a bit dubious as you say. Obviously exact statistics are impossible, but it's pretty safe to say that the assumption that everyone in medieval Europe was white is a lot of bollocks.

Remains of African people dating back to medieval times have been found all over Europe and there are written accounts of black and Asian people being within medieval societies as merchants, traders and soldiers, so the "historical accuracy" thing is more than a bit dubious as you say. Obviously exact statistics are impossible, but it's pretty safe to say that the assumption that everyone in medieval Europe was white is a lot of bollocks.

Yup. Also ignores the existence of the Romani people and from what I gather has no reference to the patron saint of the ruling house of Luxembourg: Saint Maurice. A black man.

5 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

Yup. Also ignores the existence of the Romani people and from what I gather has no reference to the patron saint of the ruling house of Luxembourg: Saint Maurice. A black man.

There were a couple of African Popes as well. Their skin colour isn't specifically mentioned or recorded, but maybe that's something people didn't particularly bother about back then and perhaps people in those times were a bit more tolerant and accepting of others than people think. Ethnic diversity and multiculturalism is definitely not a new thing.

• 1 year later...
Anyone still playing this?
I started it recently and I'm absolutely loving it.
Very rough around the edges, but it's right up my street.
There's a cracking game in there somewhere but it was all too messy for me.

I picked this up on the PS store for a good price recently, I'd always fancied it but the reports of bugs etc. put me off paying full price.

I got as far as throwing shit at some guy's house and haven't gone back to it due to playing Red Dead among other things.

Is it worth carrying on with it?  I thought the combat was a bit rubbish and it's definitely rough around the edges but I love a good RPG.  I'm just not sure this game is worth putting my (very limited these days) gaming time into.

Archived