Stirling v Clyde

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great result for us today, that's 5 in a row over an in form Clyde team. Felt the ref gave us nothing and that Clyde No 8 Nicol amazed he was still on the park with his elbow in the face to Danny Jardine. Eventually he got a yellow card for a bad challenge and was soundly booed when he got subbed later on. 

Move on to Tuesday night and another home game against Edinburgh City, can we make it 6 in a row lets hope so. 

1 hour ago, cfcuk said:

Not sour grapes but Stirling don't look like a team that will make that points gap up also don't think you are going to get above peterhead maybe catch one of them not two though

We don't have to catch Peterhead. All we have to do is maintain our Play-off position. Results in recent weeks have shown that both Montrose and Peterhead will drop points.

I love beating Clyde.

Wonderful performance by the Beanos, delighted with the 3 points and in truth, we could of won 4-1 in the end with the ball crossing the line and it not being given (I was in line) and Peaso being denied a stonewall penalty near the start of the 2nd half.

Will posts little more later but I thought everyone played well today, a performance to be proud of and it was great seeing Andy Little back on the pitch after everything that has happened.

Thought Clyde looked a lot better today than when Chapman was Manager, but you’re right about the back 4.

My hat goes off to the fans tonight, over 1,000 at the game, well done and superb!

Happy tonight [emoji3]

Forget about Mcstay hitting the post and
DGW missing a sitter
Was there a 1000 Stirling fans there?
Anyway enjoy your night as said probably deserved the win

Ps look forward to watching Clyde play Stirling at forthbank next season favourite away ground in this league [emoji106]

17 minutes ago, cfcuk said:

DGW missing a sitter

Ps look forward to watching Clyde play Stirling at forthbank next season favourite away ground in this league emoji106.png

See what you did there. Nice. 

1 hour ago, cfcuk said:

DGW missing a sitter

Ps look forward to watching Clyde play Stirling at forthbank next season favourite away ground in this league emoji106.png

280 Clyde fans there

Not sour grapes but Stirling don't look like a team that will make that points gap up also don't think you are going to get above peterhead maybe catch one of them not two though

10 points behind, 2 game in hand. Just you worry about your non existent play off push son.

Darren Lee Smith > Goodwillie.

280 Clyde fans there

Didnt look that many off the photos. But fairplay. Good thing about play you lot is you actually bring a support, unlike the rest of the absolute diddies in this tinpot league.

ETA: *playing, sorry in Warsaw and the bevy has got to my head.

10 points behind, 2 game in hand. Just you worry about your non existent play off push son.

Darren Lee Smith > Goodwillie.

Must have missed this non entity Smith playing for Scotland [emoji23]

See you next season [emoji16]

A game of what if's, but agree with previous post that Lennon was out thought in the tactics department today.  I must applaud the management of Stirling, they gambled and exploited our weakness in the wing back area's by pushing higher up the park in the 2nd half but as a result, this gave us more space between there defence and midfield.  It did lead to a more open 15, 2nd half mins, where I though the next to score was going to go on to win it.  Indeed, the tactical switch saw Goodwillie's utter astonishing miss and a cracking shot of the post from Mcstay.  But at the other end, Stirling's pace out wide gave us all sorts of trouble and before there goal, there were moments, like Paeso's penalty claim, of what was to come. After that Stirling shut up shot, like they did in the 1st half and there was no way through. Despite some flurrys, we never looked like scoring, Stirling's  commitment to closing down our players and spaces  meant the game fizzled out and they hit us on the break to almost devastating effect and ease. 

Roll on Tuesday night but Stirling, you guys have a very tough fixture list coming up. I was impressed with Edinburgh City, when they played us and Berwick away is like a game of rugby. 

Didnt look that many off the photos. But fairplay. Good thing about play you lot is you actually bring a support, unlike the rest of the absolute diddies in this tinpot league.

ETA: *playing, sorry in Warsaw and the bevy has got to my head.

Certainly didn't sound like 720 in the home end [emoji23] thought the come on Stirling chant was first class who thought up that original ditty[emoji23]

Firstly I thought that Stirling played as well against us as any team have since the first half at Ochilview. Over the 90 minutes they played well, scored the second goal at the right time and probably deserved to win. That run through November/December  must have been an absolute nightmare to sit through. A good January as well, with improvements in midfield and at centre half. I'm perhaps biased as they were my pre-season tip but you wouldn't count them out catching Montrose/Peterhead.

As for Clyde, plenty of positives again despite the defeat. I thought that was Cuddihy's best performance of the season and he and McStay did a great job in the first half dropping deep, turning on the ball in tight spaces, and getting it into Boyle. Unfortunately Lamont wasn't in the game at all and with Goodwillie being well marshalled, we lacked a wee bit of penetration up top.  After an awful start, we settled well into the game and were the better team either side of our goal. It looked like Boyle got brought down by the goalkeeper but the assistant flagged Goodwillie offside, McStay hit the woodwork and Goodwillie absolutely should have scored his chance. Stirling also had a shout for a penalty; referee was right on top of it so you'd hope he got it right but I've no idea why MacDonald would dive in that position. Winning goal saw Cogill defend poorly out wide and the cross was converted.

After the second goal we had a ten minute spell where nobody took control of the game; even McStay and Boyle were giving it away. We've got a young side and one of the experienced ones had to settle things down. We never really looked like scoring an equaliser and Stirling should probably have tied the game up.

Negatives were individual performances. Lang was dreadful. Both he and Cogill can play that vertical pass into the front, and they did, but he produced some amount of dross as well. Nothing to do with him being a good or bad right back, he just made poor decisions all day, no more so than the opening goal.  Cogill sold the second goal and we absolutely should have Stewart starting if he's available. as he's shown throughout the season he can defend that run on the outside; even the last game at Forthbank he got the better of Morrison. Nicoll has been great recently but went back to his old form today; gave the ball away constantly, made stupid tackles. He took himself out of the game completely with a daft lunge where he was getting nowhere near the ball (right before MacDonald's booking for diving), wandered back inside in the first half when he'd gone out to defend in the left-back position, leaving a gap where Stirling got in behind us and got a shot away that Currie saved. Lamont was just anonymous; some decent touches but not involved really at all. 

Boyle had a good first half but died out of the game completely as it went on; I think Stirling started to pick him up better. Millar coming on was one of the most pointless substitutions in a while; he can do a hard-working stint out there but chasing a game he's a waste of a jersey.  

Clearly we need another goal threat. We've lost today to a team with two guys who score goals. Apart from Goodwillie we don't have anyone who even looks close to getting ten goals a season. Obviously the defence is a problem but Lennon may well tried to have fixed that in December and missed out.

Hopefully we bounce back at Peterhead on Tuesday; Stewart and Grant in for Cogill and Lamont.

Archived