Dingwall vs Perth

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As big a game for St Johnstone as it is County, so no excuses for the Saints players to be found wanting on that front.  We're not in a situation where we have an established strongest team so the manager has to get his selection right.

Home form has been diabolical since October but in too many of the games we've conceded a cheap early goal that's put us on the back foot. Need to give ourselves a chance here by starting strongly, as County will be well aware of the starts other sides have made and the platform it's given them.

If Brian Easton gets another run for the U20s  today then hopefully he'll be available. McMillan making the bench could be a boost too.

As pivotal a game at this end of the table as Saints have had at this stage of the season since Hibernian at Easter Road in 2002. Thankfully we don't need to play Ludovic Roy in goal this time though.

If we play as well as we did in Dundee and in the last 20 mins against Hearts, then we have a chance. I would play Davies in place of Fontaine and Tansey in for Routis or Kait if they are ready. Fox probably should be dropped, but McCarey doesn't give me much confidence either.

Easton won't be fit for this according to the manager so Tanser back in. Tommy Wright spoke about getting as many experienced players as possible on the pitch at Celtic and he'll feel justified in saying they delivered for him. My feeling is he'll stay with the four at the back and keep the time-served quartet in midfield, giving Williams less defensive responsibility but trusting him to get in and around MacLean. So basically, the same team as Sunday bar the enforced change at left back.

Mannus

Shaughnessy - Anderson - Kerr - Tanser

Alston - Millar - Davidson - Wotherspoon

Williams

MacLean

Subbies: Clark, Comrie, Willock, Craig, Kane, Johnstone, McClean.

I'd be starting Kane instead of MacLean, tbh. MacLean has his uses but I can't see him having any success against Souttar and Fontaine. They look weak on the turn and Kanes pace would cause more problems to them. 

I take it County will play five in midfield? Tansey in a DM role for Caley caused us huge problems, especially in Inverness, as TW doesn't seem capable of setting a team up to counteract it, we have similar issues with Adam Barton and Thistle. 

It’s not Barton who’s the issue for Thistle, unless he steps out the back 3. The problem was always Osman, who’s similar to Tansey. If I’m Tommy Wright, I treat them like Scott Brown and have someone sit on them at all times, if Williams can play in behind, have him shadow the deep laying midfielder and hassle as it sounds like he’s a grafter.

Just now, Widge said:

It’s not Barton who’s the issue for Thistle, unless he steps out the back 3. The problem was always Osman, who’s similar to Tansey. If I’m Tommy Wright, I treat them like Scott Brown and have someone sit on them at all times, if Williams can play in behind, have him shadow the deep laying midfielder and hassle as it sounds like he’s a grafter.

Same difference really. I'd rather sacrifice Wotherspoon to that sort of role than Williams. Jason Naismith is class so you'd hope Williams pace could pin him back a bit. The idea of Tanser 1v1 with Naismith is a worry. 

I note Wright’s email made no mention of McMillan at all. Mentions the other guys who are still out, so that maybe suggests he’s fit enough for the bench at least.

Same difference really. I'd rather sacrifice Wotherspoon to that sort of role than Williams. Jason Naismith is class so you'd hope Williams pace could pin him back a bit. The idea of Tanser 1v1 with Naismith is a worry. 

I think that issue is going to be unavoidable in any circumstance, because O’Brian or whoever is playing wide right will naturally step into the middle and our winger is going to get dragged in, unless they pass him on. I’d be inclined to agree that attack is the best defence against a rampaging fullback, especially since the rest of County’s back line are slow on the retreat. Having not seen County I don’t know if they compensate for this by sitting deeper and having Marcus Fraser move across to form a back 3 as Naismith gets forward. If that’s the case then Alston becomes very important on the break in terms of pulling him wide and opening up the middle of the park where you’d hope we have some midfield runners.

1 minute ago, Widge said:

I think that issue is going to be unavoidable in any circumstance, because O’Brian or whoever is playing wide right will naturally step into the middle and our winger is going to get dragged in, unless they pass him on. I’d be inclined to agree that attack is the best defence against a rampaging fullback, especially since the rest of County’s back line are slow on the retreat. Having not seen County I don’t know if they compensate for this by sitting deeper and having Marcus Fraser move across to form a back 3 as Naismith gets forward. If that’s the case then Alston becomes very important on the break in terms of pulling him wide and opening up the middle of the park where you’d hope we have some midfield runners.

I think O'Brien plays central for them, with Eagles or Dow on the right and that Keillor-Dunn on the left. 

Keillor-Dunn cuts in, and, I'm probably wrong, I've always had the impression Coyle prefers to play with proper wingers, so whoevers on the right will be a "hit the byline" player (fully expect this to be shown up as shite by a County fan). 

Agree about Alston though, he should pretty much be 1v1 with their left back, time to step up, Blair. 

28 minutes ago, Radford said:

Easton won't be fit for this according to the manager so Tanser back in. Tommy Wright spoke about getting as many experienced players as possible on the pitch at Celtic and he'll feel justified in saying they delivered for him. My feeling is he'll stay with the four at the back and keep the time-served quartet in midfield, giving Williams less defensive responsibility but trusting him to get in and around MacLean. So basically, the same team as Sunday bar the enforced change at left back.

Mannus

Shaughnessy - Anderson - Kerr - Tanser

Alston - Millar - Davidson - Wotherspoon

Williams

MacLean

Subbies: Clark, Comrie, Willock, Craig, Kane, Johnstone, McClean.

Only change to that i'd have is on the bench, Gordon in for McClean. 1 sub defender is a bit short in such a crucial game imo.

Fair point on Kane and definite merit in the argument.

I think the impact of individual players like Tansey, Barton and Osman is being overstated. The style these teams played were as much of an issue as any individual. We aren't talking about a flying winger or prolific striker here.

2 minutes ago, Radford said:

Fair point on Kane and definite merit in the argument.

I think the impact of individual players like Tansey, Barton and Osman is being overstated. The style these teams played were as much of an issue as any individual. We aren't talking about a flying winger or prolific striker here.

Does the player look good because of the style? Or is the style only workable because of the player? 

Archived