Highland Hammerers Of The Crusaders -vs- Jim Duffy's Diddy Men

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Do Morton fans like Duffy again then?

I joke. Fantastic run of form and looking like another top four slot. Great trip back for the fans today as well I'm sure.

I'm still pissed off that he didn't sort out the left hand side of the team before the season kicked off. We all knew we hadn't replaced Nesbitt with no natural width in the team.

Since signing Ross we've won 6 of the last 7 and drawn the other. I wonder where we'd have been with a proper winger in the team from the start.

Can't criticise what he's doing just now too much though. We should be making the playoffs from here.

1 hour ago, GiGi said:

I'm still pissed off that he didn't sort out the left hand side of the team before the season kicked off. We all knew we hadn't replaced Nesbitt with no natural width in the team.

Since signing Ross we've won 6 of the last 7 and drawn the other. I wonder where we'd have been with a proper winger in the team from the start.

Can't criticise what he's doing just now too much though. We should be making the playoffs from here.

Agreed. Ross hasn’t necessarily impacted the team with assists/goals but just having a bit of pace out wide to stretch teams has done wonders. Frustrating we could all see that would be an issue back in July and it’s only just been sorted in January. 

TBH and this is not sour grapes but I felt that teams were evenly matched though the BBC stats paint a picture well in Caley's favour, for me Morton's two standout's were Oliver and Tiffoney, however I don't feel it was an entirely convincing win given that from my seat's view the first goal was an own goal by Gary Warren and there is no doubt that the second was a clear penalty but that was it really .

Having said that the result does put any ideas of a play off position absolutely out of the question and compounds a miserable season.

The reports of Austin being injury prone rang true yesterday and I suspect that along with Elbouzedi we'll  be carrying the both of them for a while.

Daniel Mackay meanwhile continues to impress

7 hours ago, GiGi said:

6 hours ago, Scosha said:

Agreed. Ross hasn’t necessarily impacted the team with assists/goals but just having a bit of pace out wide to stretch teams has done wonders. Frustrating we could all see that would be an issue back in July and it’s only just been sorted in January. 

I can't believe how lucky we are to be able to read the expert opinions of Pep Guardiola and Jürgen Klopp on the Scottish Championship pages of P&B.

Looking forward to the next instalment.

7 hours ago, SandyCromarty said:

TBH and this is not sour grapes but I felt that teams were evenly matched though the BBC stats paint a picture well in Caley's favour, for me Morton's two standout's were Oliver and Tiffoney, however I don't feel it was an entirely convincing win given that from my seat's view the first goal was an own goal by Gary Warren and there is no doubt that the second was a clear penalty but that was it really .

There's no doubt that 2-0 was a flattering scoreline, but those two goals really wasn't all there was to The Famous' performance. That absolute ringer Seedorf was torn apart on a regular basis and Brad MacKay did little better when up against Tiffoney. Morton were decent value for their first half lead and created plenty of opportunities when sitting deep and hitting Inverness on the break after the second goal. Inverness were on top prior to the second goal but the focus on two correctly disallowed goals and hitting the woodwork in the match reports presents a hard luck story that didn't actually happen. Inverness' main tactic was to get the ball wide and swing 17 million crosses into the box - Morton really shouldn't have allowed so many to come into the box unchallenged, but Lamie and O'Ware dealt with enough of them comfortably. The main danger to the lead came from Gaston becoming progressively less able to catch a fucking ball as the match went on. 

Inverness' hopes have been killed off with that result and the predictable failure of Queen of the South and Dunfermline to do anything of note puts us in the box seats for the rest of the regular campaign. 

8 hours ago, GiGi said:

Agree 100%.  That is what really frustrates me with Duffy. Every single ton  fan knew we needed a winger to replace nesbitt and I'm pretty sure he knew as well. Can't understand why he didn't address the problem at the start of the season.

53 minutes ago, Mr.Blue said:

Agree 100%.  That is what really frustrates me with Duffy. Every single ton  fan knew we needed a winger to replace nesbitt and I'm pretty sure he knew as well. Can't understand why he didn't address the problem at the start of the season.

6 wins and 1 draw from our last 7 matches and still the unhappy clappers choose to slaughter Duffy. Remind me, what team do you support Little Boy Blue/snapper55?

6 wins and 1 draw from our last 7 matches and still the unhappy clappers choose to slaughter Duffy. Remind me, what team do you support Little Boy Blue/snapper55?

Your tedious, barely relevant posts verge on obsessive and you’re only continuing to make a fool of yourself by proceeding as such.

On ‎23‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 21:03, wee_bairn said:

He was absolutely toilet in his last season with us as well. Falkirk fans were shot down when passing this assessment onto Inverness fans at the start of the season... which he has proven us right. I'd listen to their review of Baird

I never listened to what folk had to say about Harkins and his shambles of a season therefor wont be listening to anything about Baird until I see him in a Morton strip for a few games

The last thing I want to do here is start a crowdwank because they are the most tedious thing of all time, but do ICT always overstate their attendances? Thought at the game that 2300 was ridiculous and going by the highlights it was closer to half that.

2 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

The last thing I want to do here is start a crowdwank because they are the most tedious thing of all time, but do ICT always overstate their attendances? Thought at the game that 2300 was ridiculous and going by the highlights it was closer to half that.

Yeah we seem to have been doing that a lot recently. I think there was probably about 1,700 - 1,800 there at most.

The game itself typified our season. Some promise ultimately undone by the most basic mistakes in defence putting us on the back foot before discipline costs us either through a red card or conceding a ridiculous penalty. Again, our attacking play was largely poor and whilst we created some decent chances and hit the woodwork on a few occasions our finishing just isn't good enough to get us the goals needed to win matches. We've conceded the first goal on nine occasions in the league this season and in every single one of those games we have lost the match.

In the first half our best chance probably fell the way of Polworth when he was presented with almost the entire goal to aim for from a few yards out after good play by Doran I think it was on the right. Seedorf, Trafford and Oakley all passed up reasonable half chances. However throughout the entire first half Morton were a constant threat to our backline especially with simple balls lifted over the top. Tiffoney and Oliver were running Mckay and Warren ragged all game and it was no real surprise when the opener came from one of them forcing a mistake from our defence. Mckay completely misjudged a long kick out and let Tiffoney in to squeeze the ball under Ridgers after Mckay had recovered to block the first shot.

In the second half ICT hit the post through Chalmers, the bar from a Vigurs shot and had a goal questionably chalked off after Gaston struggled to collect a high ball and substitute MacKay poked it over the line. That didn't stop the announcer playing the goal scored music again, announcing the scorer before issuing a correction clarifying no goal had been scored :lol: In between all this Morton had pretty much sewn the game up after Harkins converted a penalty following another idiotic foul by Seedorf who was turned inside out and back in again by a Morton attacker. 

All in all it was simply another limp performance from a pretty rudderless looking ICT side. There isn't much fight in this team at all and as soon as we go behind you can see the heads drop. We just cannot find a way back into games. When Morton went ahead on Saturday they started the second half sitting quite deep looking to hit on the break whilst challenging us to try and find a way through them. We had neither the pace nor the creative spark to fashion a really good chance to get ourselves back into the match. 

Robertson strangely left Bell on the bench when making changes to the side which seemed quite odd as he's been one of the few decent recruits brought in since last summer. Chalmers ended up playing right wing and was simply not in the game at all until his effort in the second half. Polworth ran about a lot but again had no end product whilst Vigurs was being bodied by Harkins who was absolutely fantastic and probably the MotM. 

Worrying times for ICT as the playoffs continue to slip away from us. There's little to get excited about these days and you can clearly see supporter interest is waning badly. Claiming there was 2,300 there was a complete joke. Take about 500 off that and you'd be closer to the real attendance. With season tickets due to be renewed in a few months time you can only suspect that even fewer people will be heading through the gates in the months ahead which leaves huge financial questions hanging around the club not least for the manager who will need to recruit several new players again in the summer if we are to challenge for promotion. Most of this lot simply aren't good enough and I would only keep about 4 or 5 of them for next year.

Still, at least we have the Challenge Cup Final to look forward to...

Archived