Dundee v Motherwell - 24/02/18

1 hour ago, Archie McSquackle said:

Doesn't surprise me at all. McCann's quoted in papers as saying "assistant referee said it him on the arm, why's it not a penalty ". If he doesn't know the answer to that then he needs to read the rules.

Aye. A casual reminder this was McCann's take:

"I'm angry about losing a poor goal again but I'm more angry with a stonewall penalty not being given. I feel very aggrieved right now.

"I've spoken to all the officials. I spoke to the assistant referee who suggested to (referee) Alan Muir that yes it did strike an arm but his arms were in against his body. His arms are not against his body. There is no reason for (Cedric) Kipre's hands to be out where they were.

"He stopped the ball going over his head and it should have been a penalty."

I've watched it back a few times on the Alba footage and I'm genuinely not sure where he expects Kipré's arms to be. The way he describes the incident it sounds like his arms are outstretched blocking the ball. From the TV pictures I've seen that's nowhere near true. Miller's take on it was spot on IMO.

The ball may well have hit his arm or hand and given the pen Accies got against us and the one Killie got against Hibs yesterday it may well be a case of "seen them given" but at the same time we've seen plenty not given.

Either way, stonewall? Bitch please...

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, CanadianDee said:

Johnnydun my point was that everything you want to achieve with a football club off the field starts with what is happening ON it, not that those other things aren't important. Simply that people don't care if they're sitting in a gold plated heated seat with waiter service in a brand spanking new stadium if the on field product is utter dirge.

People will get excited and interested in the ancillary plans of the BOD if the team is also exciting and headed in the right direction on the field. If Den's Park continues to be morgue like in atmosphere during games why get excited about anything else. I don't think we disagree really (well except that you sort of agree with that Perth fud), the brand is important, but when the brand is a football club it all starts with what is happening on the pitch. 

Aberdeen are doing the same thing we are when it comes to off field projects. 

They have a far better team than we have, however in the grand scheme of things what more are the going to achieve than us? 2-4 games in Europe a season, a couple of cup finals? (Please dont be offended Dons fans, this isnt a dig at you Im just trying to make a point). Do you think they can improve anymore on the field and drop their whole stadium move?

What I am trying to say is, it doesnt matter if you finish 2nd or 10th, apart from a couple hundred thousand pounds, there is no difference.

Celtic are going to dominate this league and the cups for the foreseeable, we just have to make the most of what we have.

As long as we don't get relegated...... 

On 2/19/2018 at 10:21, G_Man1985 said:

Straight forward three points .

Losing at home this mob would be embarrassing.

Don't let it happen again please

Lol

On 2/24/2018 at 15:37, RossDee01 said:

Miles offside. Not even close.

Lol

On 2/24/2018 at 16:28, DigOutYourSoul said:

No idea how Dundee are losing this game.

Goals m8

I was away this weekend and didn't see the game, so (apart from the fact that I was away the same weekend last year and had my phone beeping 6 times by 3:45pm :rolleyes:), I don't have anything to add other than to say that we have the best defence we've had at Fir Park for a *long* time.

One thing that has struck me is that in this league, there are some managers that come over well and are pretty honest (and I think it's fair to say Robinson is one of those) and some that are - not to put too fine a point on it - wanks. McCann's reaction to the game in the media (added to a lot of other stuff I've seen from him) puts him firmly in the latter category IMO.  For a guy with a non-existent track record in management, he comes over as someone with absolutely no humility, which is surprising given the glaringly obvious deficiencies in his management of his team this season.

I don't really mind managers complaining about decisions going against their team as us supporters do exactly the same -  but the wee snippet about him getting on to the Referee before the game about Curtis Main makes him look like a sneaky wee dick. If you feel that your centre halfs can't handle a particular player, it's probably not great man-management to draw attention to it in the media for all to see....

Motherwell werent quite at Hearts or Hamilton levels of kick anything that moves, but they know when to foul, as do other teams. Sadly under Hartley and McCann we seem to have a team of wet fannies.

The Martin Canning juggernaut is coming for you. McCann getting found out as a shite tv pundit more and more each week. Be afraid.

1 hour ago, Swello said:

I was away this weekend and didn't see the game, so (apart from the fact that I was away the same weekend last year and had my phone beeping 6 times by 3:45pm :rolleyes:), I don't have anything to add other than to say that we have the best defence we've had at Fir Park for a *long* time.

Given this weekend represented McGhee's nadir It's actually worth making a quick comparison between where we are now and where we were (the 5-1 was actually matchday 26 and we're obviously on 28 now so the below includes 2 games where Robinson was in interim charge, the win vs Killie and 1-0 loss vs Aberdeen at Pittodrie):

17/18 - P 28 W 10 D 5 L 13 F 34 A 37 GD -3 Pts 35 Pos 7th
16/17 - P 28 W 7 D 6  L 15 F 32 A 55 GD -23 Pts 27 Pos 10th

So...we're 8 points better off have scored a couple more goals, conceded 18 (EIGHTEEN) fewer and have a better goal difference by 20 (TWENTY) goals. Eight clean sheets from 28 games and we've failed to score in 6 league games. That's vs 3 clean sheets by the same point last season and failing to score in 10 games.

Obviously there's still plenty time for it all to go tits up this season but that record shows up pretty well considering the run of form we had in December. That's before you even factor in a League Cup final and a Scottish Cup quarter final (with 4 clean sheets from 6 knock-out games against Premiership opposition en route)

Spoiler

For a comparison vs matchday 26 last season ie: Dundee scudding us 5-1 the comparison is:

17/18 - P 26 W 9 D 5 L 12 F 33 A 36 GD -3 Pts 32 Pos 6th
16/17 - P 26 W 6 D 6  L 14 F 30 A 53 GD -23 Pts 24 Pos 10th

Edit: For a LOL this is where we were after 28 games in McCall's 13/14 season (still conceded fewer this season).

17/18 - P 28 W 16 D 3 L 9 F 46 A 43 GD 3 Pts 51 Pos 3rd

One thing that has struck me is that in this league, there are some managers that come over well and are pretty honest (and I think it's fair to say Robinson is one of those) and some that are - not to put too fine a point on it - wanks. McCann's reaction to the game in the media (added to a lot of other stuff I've seen from him) puts him firmly in the latter category IMO.  For a guy with a non-existent track record in management, he comes over as someone with absolutely no humility, which is surprising given the glaringly obvious deficiencies in his management of his team this season.
I don't really mind managers complaining about decisions going against their team as us supporters do exactly the same -  but the wee snippet about him getting on to the Referee before the game about Curtis Main makes him look like a sneaky wee dick. If you feel that your centre halfs can't handle a particular player, it's probably not great man-management to draw attention to it in the media for all to see....

I guess everybody sees it differently but I quite like NM whereas Robinson seems to be perma rage man.

Can’t argue with the job he’s done though, top notch.

56 minutes ago, Fifespud said:

I guess everybody sees it differently but I quite like NM whereas Robinson seems to be perma rage man.

If I were a Dundee fan I'd be concerned about my manager.  He, not anyone else, is in charge of the team selection and tactics.  If after a defeat, he concentrates on berating opposition players and match officials you have to ask has he lost the plot.  He's certainly under pressure.   The issue is though that's he's in charge; what is he going to do to put matters right.    I remember Gary Teale coming out with the same stuff just before he departed from St Mirren.  I think you'll find that Stephen Robinson doesn't comment negatively on opposition players.  

2 hours ago, Swello said:

I was just coming back to post this

" but I'm more angry because I had spoken to the officials about (Curtis) Main. " and say what a sneaky wee c**t of a move that is.

11 hours ago, Fifespud said:

Eh? 

P ermarage?

Where? 

When? 

13 minutes ago, bunglebonce said:

I was not expecting a big lump like Main to have a touch like that.  :osama:

Nor was I - but his general play has been really good and he looks a very decent player.  In the games that he's not scored, he's still played consistently well.

They hardly have a monopoly on that to be fair :)

Their team however, based on that Sun piece, seems to have convinced themselves that they are paragons of total football, which is quite funny really. If they were as good as they seem to think based on McCann and Deacon, then it's pure incompetence that they didn't take something from the game (or more than a solitary point all season).

20 hours ago, CanadianDee said:

Johnnydun my point was that everything you want to achieve with a football club off the field starts with what is happening ON it, not that those other things aren't important. Simply that people don't care if they're sitting in a gold plated heated seat with waiter service in a brand spanking new stadium if the on field product is utter dirge.

People will get excited and interested in the ancillary plans of the BOD if the team is also exciting and headed in the right direction on the field. If Den's Park continues to be morgue like in atmosphere during games why get excited about anything else. I don't think we disagree really (well except that you sort of agree with that Perth fud), the brand is important, but when the brand is a football club it all starts with what is happening on the pitch. 

No offence, but that's drivel.  Off-field matters more than on-field.  Your club has gone into admin due to off-field mis-management, and Rangers won plenty and still went bust due to off-field issues.  Look at Juventus ( and others ) too.  We went into admin cos that wee p***k at the SFA pissed off Sky TV.   

Off-field is way more important than on-field because it can be controlled.  It's essential to the survival of the club. 

#Gretna

8 minutes ago, WellView said:

No offence, but that's drivel.  Off-field matters more than on-field.  Your club has gone into admin due to off-field mis-management, and Rangers won plenty and still went bust due to off-field issues.  Look at Juventus ( and others ) too.  We went into admin cos that wee p***k at the SFA pissed off Sky TV.   

Off-field is way more important than on-field because it can be controlled.  It's essential to the survival of the club. 

#Gretna

With regards to the income side of the business did Motorola pulling the plug on it’s major sponsorship of the club, lower attendances and lower income from corporate activities also not play a major part in administration?  A bit too simplistic to blame it solely on the lack of a TV deal.

You’re club went into administration because it was spending far more money than it was generating in income.   There was only so much money Boyle could put into the club.

1 minute ago, Shadow Play said:

With regards to the income side of the business did Motorola pulling the plug on it’s major sponsorship of the club, lower attendances and lower income from corporate activities also not play a major part in administration?  A bit too simplistic to blame it solely on the lack of a TV deal.

You’re club went into administration because it was spending far more money than it was generating in income.   There was only so much money Boyle could put into the club.

Or more accurately, we spent a fucking ridiculous amount on shite players on a flawed plan to make Motherwell the 3rd force and made an utter c**t of it. The TV deal stuff, which affected every club to varying degrees, only hastened the point at which we were fucked. I like to blame the SFA for stuff as much as the next person - but this was down to gross mismanagement of the club.

Archived