Glaswegians

• Replies 482
  • Created
  • Last Reply
45 minutes ago, Boostin' Kev said:

VT and his *** buddy posting the same thing at the same time. :lol:

No doubt  both whistling the tune to Daydream Believer at the time of posting. 

It certainly does come across as diddy city mentality tbh.  

Glasgow is clearly the greatest city in Scotland.  Absolutely no two ways about it.  

If you live in a 'city' which has 'the train station' in the centre and no others then it's not actually a real city.(Stirling; Perth; Dundee; Aberdeen).

If you live somewhere that doesn't have mass transit rail - either through a subway system or overground - then you're also living in a redneck backwater (all of the above plus Leith). 

These are facts. 

4 hours ago, thisal said:

Campsie folk eh. Move 5 miles to a dump out of town and think they're in the Highlands

The same really applies to anywhere west of Harthill in my experience (Harthill included), the people in Campsie have very similar traits to the ones I pointed out, possibly even more annoyingly so. 

2 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

I was thinking something similar about this.  From the time I lived in Glasgow, it struck me that many of them hadn't a clue about the rest of Scotland.  Many talked about Edinburgh like it was far away and spoke as if Inverness and Aberdeen were in Iceland...yet bizarrely side by side (an hour round trip apparently).

The geography thing is a big one. I remember my geography teacher in high school labelling the different countries in the UK and getting it wrong. He wrote Wales where Northern Ireland is and Northern Ireland where Wales is, when us pupils pointed out the mistake he argued that he was correct, ironically the guy was a staunch Rangers supporting unionist. 

My dad was old enough to be my grandfather, he was a steelworker in Ravenscraig. I was lucky as a kid in the 90's to have him as my dad and to know a lot of his friends. These guys were the last generation of people in the west of Scotland that could genuinely claim to be working class. They were always impeccably dressed and groomed, their houses and gardens were immaculate, they were very intelligent men usually self-educated, many of them were WWII war veterans. They were all like a cross between Jimmy Reid and Jimmy Stewart. They wouldn't identify at all with the people now who claim to be working class.

There's something tragically infantile about these modern faux-working class types, they still dress and behave in the same way that they did when they were teenagers,  many of them still live at home with their parents, a lot of them consider it their entitlement to live off the state, they're anti-education/knowledge, never seem to leave the place that they're from or have any interest in anywhere else and the ones that have girlfriends/wives depend on them to assume the role of their mother. These are the people that stoat about the west of Scotland claiming that it's a working class place and gibbering on about how they're the underprivileged working class despite having more privileges than most people who have ever lived at anytime, anywhere in the world. Bizarrely they think they're carrying on some great tradition, It's a travesty really.

There's nothing wrong with the west of Scotland becoming middle class it's what previous working class generations aspired to. 

20 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

Glasgow is the best city in the UK and it's people are salt of the earth.
None of this backwater, teuchter, No voting, Westminster kowtowing shitebags you get everywhere else in Scotland.

Dundee voted 'Yes'

56 minutes ago, virginton said:

If you live in a 'city' which has 'the train station' in the centre and no others then it's not actually a real city.(Stirling; Perth; Dundee; Aberdeen).

If you live somewhere that doesn't have mass transit rail - either through a subway system or overground - then you're also living in a redneck backwater (all of the above plus Leith). 

These are facts. 

Yeah like Los Angeles.

45 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

Glasgow is the best city in the UK and it's people are salt of the earth.
None of this backwater, teuchter, No voting, Westminster kowtowing shitebags you get everywhere else in Scotland.

Erm Glasgow 53% yes Dundee 57% yes.  Though I agree with the sentiment.

Btw Dundee is a fkn fantastic city these days, well worth a visit if you've not been in a long time you'll be very pleasantly surprised.  Named one of the world's top five tourist destinations a couple of months ago by the new York times, brilliant for a long weekend.

The "Glesga Banter" and how friendly the people are etc is a myth though. They are no more friendly than anywhere else in Scotland, and the ratio of wanks/good guys no better or worse.

I’m not sure about this. People in Glasgow like making conversation with one another at bus stops, in boozers etc and are more outgoing than in many other towns.

I had a job interview in Blantyre last year and spent some time in Motherwell when waiting on a train and more people made small talk to me than anyone has done in my 5 years of living in Edinburgh. This may have been down to the fact I was wearing a suit and looked vastly out of place but the point still stands.

2 minutes ago, throbber said:

I’m not sure about this. People in Glasgow like making conversation with one another at bus stops, in boozers etc and are more outgoing than in many other towns.

I had a job interview in Blantyre last year and spent some time in Motherwell when waiting on a train and more people made small talk to me than anyone has done in my 5 years of living in Edinburgh. This may have been down to the fact I was wearing a suit and looked vastly out of place but the point still stands.

That's a bit of a generalistaion.  I detest speaking to people at bus stops.

Luckily, i'm not unfortunate enough that I have to use the bus very often.

27 minutes ago, Peppino Impastato said:

Btw Dundee is a fkn fantastic city these days, well worth a visit if you've not been in a long time you'll be very pleasantly surprised.  Named one of the world's top five tourist destinations a couple of months ago by the new York times, brilliant for a long weekend.

Image result for nope gif

Archived