Queens v Pars

7 hours ago, coo shedder said:

Outrageous..Lyle’s on the bench despite reported injury! Surely Nithsdale must be apoplectic. What if he gets injured again?

I asked Lyle before the game "I thought you were still injured according to GN" He said that he was fine to be included as a sub...

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Pars fans certainly predicted that dire affair pre-match but it was a bit of a surprise from our perspective given we played fairly well last week against a Morton side who based on today's showing are a better team than Dunfermline.

A lot of the blame has to lie with the manager for today unfortunately.  He made some unnecessary changes and they failed to pay off.  Rooney's injury at least forced his hand in to recovering one of his mistakes.  I've no idea why Mercer dropped out of the team, he is currently streets ahead of Rooney whose positioning is horrific. 

Although I was championing for Dykes to play up front, which he did to begin with, it didn't work out.  He is best utilised alongside Dobbie, or with Dobbie in behind him.  Instead we had Dobbie the furthest forward of the two, isolated on his own with Dykes dropping deep to pick up the ball or win flick ons.  His presence up there gives the defenders the easy way out of lumping it forward which they did, time after time.  The other knock-on effect to moving Dykes up front was that Conor Murray came in on the wing.  He offers literally nothing and will surely be joining the happy crew of ex-Queens youths plying their trade for Annan soon enough.  He looked slightly better in the second when he and Thomas switched wings.  This enabled both men to take players on on the outside rather than cutting inside into congestion.  By then though his head was down and when he got into good positions his delivery was horrific. 

Todorov looked like a useless big haddy, with an inability to jump.  Fergusson must be thoroughly pissed off not to have made it onto the pitch in what was a must win game. 

Rankin was back to his "headless chicken" worst.  I don't think I have ever seen a game with so many occasions where two of our players went for the same ball.  Rankin was the main offender, no wonder Jacobs stuck the nut on him.

In a desperate attempt to scrape the barrel for positives, Leighfield certainly looks no worse than Martin.  He saved smartly from a Clark long-ranger and raced out of his box well to clear one or two that Martin probably wouldn't have got to.  Jordan Marshall put in a good performance as well.  I still think he is overrated by some of our supporters because despite a willingness to make forward runs, he rarely does anything with them.  He is however very good defensively, something that is much more apparent to me now that he is back in the team having missed a chunk of games.

All in all just a completely directionless and disjointed performance, from two directionless and disjointed looking teams.

Question for the Pars fans, why on earth was Nicky Clark played in midfield today?  He was my main concern ahead of this game, but he was rarely involved.  He is very much a penalty box style poacher, yet where he was played today he was barely in our box.  Also amused to see that daddy has now got him the captaincy as well.  I never thought of him as much of a leader when he was with us.

I opined to my fellow fans that the only way either team was going to score was by accident (like the final game of last season). Pretty dismal stuff.

Dom Thomas was disappointing, he seemed to lack confidence and I don’t recall him actually getting past anyone the entire game.

Lots of head tennis in the middle of the park.

We had a good 10 minute spell immediately after HT which sort of fizzled out.

Marshall our MOM by a distance. Fordyce OK,  clean sheet for Leighfield. 

This is one game that will quickly be forgotten (hopefully).

6 points behind Morton with 11 games left sounds quite do-able, except we have zero momentum just now. Would need to win quite a few and we don’t seem to be able to win at all......

Maybe United are in free fall but I’m doubtful if it will be us catching them. If we win on Tuesday night, I may reconsider.

9 hours ago, palmy_cammy said:

Playing Alan Martin while he was injured didn't work out too well.  I can't see Lyle faring any better.

Del injured, is he!

Anyway that was as fire game of football as you'll ever see. Poor advertisement for Scottish football. Both managers need to have a real look at themselves, both needed a win today to keep their seasons alive and neither had the balls to go for it.

Edited to mention the blatant nepotism of Nicky now captain of daddy's team. Unbelievable!

The Pars fans certainly predicted that dire affair pre-match but it was a bit of a surprise from our perspective given we played fairly well last week against a Morton side who based on today's showing are a better team than Dunfermline.
A lot of the blame has to lie with the manager for today unfortunately.  He made some unnecessary changes and they failed to pay off.  Rooney's injury at least forced his hand in to recovering one of his mistakes.  I've no idea why Mercer dropped out of the team, he is currently streets ahead of Rooney whose positioning is horrific. 
Although I was championing for Dykes to play up front, which he did to begin with, it didn't work out.  He is best utilised alongside Dobbie, or with Dobbie in behind him.  Instead we had Dobbie the furthest forward of the two, isolated on his own with Dykes dropping deep to pick up the ball or win flick ons.  His presence up there gives the defenders the easy way out of lumping it forward which they did, time after time.  The other knock-on effect to moving Dykes up front was that Conor Murray came in on the wing.  He offers literally nothing and will surely be joining the happy crew of ex-Queens youths plying their trade for Annan soon enough.  He looked slightly better in the second when he and Thomas switched wings.  This enabled both men to take players on on the outside rather than cutting inside into congestion.  By then though his head was down and when he got into good positions his delivery was horrific. 
Todorov looked like a useless big haddy, with an inability to jump.  Fergusson must be thoroughly pissed off not to have made it onto the pitch in what was a must win game. 
Rankin was back to his "headless chicken" worst.  I don't think I have ever seen a game with so many occasions where two of our players went for the same ball.  Rankin was the main offender, no wonder Jacobs stuck the nut on him.
In a desperate attempt to scrape the barrel for positives, Leighfield certainly looks no worse than Martin.  He saved smartly from a Clark long-ranger and raced out of his box well to clear one or two that Martin probably wouldn't have got to.  Jordan Marshall put in a good performance as well.  I still think he is overrated by some of our supporters because despite a willingness to make forward runs, he rarely does anything with them.  He is however very good defensively, something that is much more apparent to me now that he is back in the team having missed a chunk of games.
All in all just a completely directionless and disjointed performance, from two directionless and disjointed looking teams.
Question for the Pars fans, why on earth was Nicky Clark played in midfield today?  He was my main concern ahead of this game, but he was rarely involved.  He is very much a penalty box style poacher, yet where he was played today he was barely in our box.  Also amused to see that daddy has now got him the captaincy as well.  I never thought of him as much of a leader when he was with us.

Playing a penalty box striker in midfield. Alan Johnson ladies and gentlemen

In a game that we realistically had to win to sustain a play off challenge that was a lacklustre display.It beggars belief that our Manager thinks that deploying Dobbie as a lone striker is a tactic that makes best use of him. Dobbie's body language in the first half spoke volumes - asking him to chase an endless stream of aimless punts with absolutely no structure in our play. Fortunately Dunfermline were as bad as we were but as the home side the onus was surely on us to try and get a win.

Very few positives with neither the players or Manager looking as though they actually believe that they can deliver a play off challenge. I think we have all seen this movie before.

That said I thought Leighfield did very well. Conditions were tricky not helped by an awful bouncy surface.

If anyone is hungry in Dunfries I recommend the caven arms, good place. 

Dumfries is lovely, there was probably a football game there but I'm sure everyone there agreed it didn't happen. 
Cavens is immense. Macaroni cheese a personal favourite.

I know that we needed reinforcements in the transfer window and while they have given us more options they are hardly making an impact :-

Todorov looks very limited - Hopkin not slow to replace him with Lee Miller

Beerman actually looks neat and tidy but seems destined to be a be a bit part player

Thomas flatters to deceive and the sooner he and GN realise that he is ineffectual on the right the better but on basis that neither of them seem to see what everybody else sees expect more of the same

Thomson works hard but lacks quality

Cameron played very well in his 2 games especially at St Mirren but was dropped so unlikely to feature

Just awful. Totally agree with Palmy_Cammy's post.

Our two worst players for me were Murray and Rooney. They never started last week, the guys they replaced haven't put a foot wrong in weeks yet he felt the need to bring them in. Dobbie up front himself doesn't work - please realise this already GN. Thomas was sussed after 10 minutes and when he was switched to the left his deliveries were worse than woeful. Rankin was as his name says. Dykes was dreadful. Did he pass the ball forward at all today?

Marshall was my MOTM. Mercer never put a foot wrong when he came on. He has to start at RB for the rest of the season if he continues the way he's been playing (there's something I never thought I'd say. Fair play to the guy). Neither Todorov or Dykes did anything Fergusson hasn't been doing and tbh I thought Fergusson held it up better than those two. Leighfield had a couple of good stops to make. He flapped at a corner and Higginbotham should have scored, but apart from that didn't do anything wrong. Brownlie with his weekly needlessly stupid foul apart didn't do too much wrong along with Fordyce.

Absolute chalk and cheese compared to last week. I don't think it was a coincidence our best spell came early in the second half when the ball was on the deck. No idea why we don't try that approach every week.

Just a dreadful game. Utd to get their season back on track against us next weel if we put that display in again.

Is it sad that I'm mildly impressed we even picked up a point.

Think it's very clear to most people that we're in the dying embers of AJ's reign. I've been really patient but it's obvious we're not going to get consistently better any time soon. We might win a few games between now and the end of the season but I think there's no chance we make top four now.

Hope the club have an exciting appointment in mind.

40 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Just awful. Totally agree with Palmy_Cammy's post.

Our two worst players for me were Murray and Rooney. They never started last week, the guys they replaced haven't put a foot wrong in weeks yet he felt the need to bring them in. Dobbie up front himself doesn't work - please realise this already GN. Thomas was sussed after 10 minutes and when he was switched to the left his deliveries were worse than woeful. Rankin was as his name says. Dykes was dreadful. Did he pass the ball forward at all today?

Marshall was my MOTM. Mercer never put a foot wrong when he came on. He has to start at RB for the rest of the season if he continues the way he's been playing (there's something I never thought I'd say. Fair play to the guy). Neither Todorov or Dykes did anything Fergusson hasn't been doing and tbh I thought Fergusson held it up better than those two. Leighfield had a couple of good stops to make. He flapped at a corner and Higginbotham should have scored, but apart from that didn't do anything wrong. Brownlie with his weekly needlessly stupid foul apart didn't do too much wrong along with Fordyce.

Absolute chalk and cheese compared to last week. I don't think it was a coincidence our best spell came early in the second half when the ball was on the deck. No idea why we don't try that approach every week.

Just a dreadful game. Utd to get their season back on track against us next weel if we put that display in again.

I said when he signed that Thomas was dreadful and hes lived up to that billing so far. He hasnt even had the usual bright start he usually has. Predictable and pish. Dykes scoring record is a joke! 

I said when he signed that Thomas was dreadful and hes lived up to that billing so far. He hasnt even had the usual bright start he usually has. Predictable and pish. Dykes scoring record is a joke! 

My issue with Thomas is his lack of right foot. He just point blank refuses to use it. Some players are like that but when he's playing on the right it makes him so easy to figure out. The Pars LB had him in his back pocket today because he knew Thomas had to cut in. When he has the pace to get passed the full back he's an asset, but on days like today he's almost a wasted jersey.

1 hour ago, Steeplechat said:

Stop stalking the players you weirdo

I wasn't stalking him. He was a few feet away at trackside. 

You are the weirdo replying to my posts.

Steeple Off....

3 hours ago, Grant228 said:

If anyone is hungry in Dunfries I recommend the caven arms, good place. 

Dumfries is lovely, there was probably a football game there but I'm sure everyone there agreed it didn't happen. 

Dumfries is a nice place. Tidy wee town centre with a few decent pubs around, especially the aforementioned Caven. Slight loss of points for the very limited options for buying a carry out for the train though 

On 19/02/2018 at 11:48, Shandon Par said:

If we play the miracle back four + keeper (Robinson, Williamson, M'Voto, Ashcroft, Talbot) who have never conceded a goal we should chalk up the "Queens 0" part. Sadly, Robinson being in goals for us means he's not in goal for Queens, which means they may have a keeper capable of saving those deft Nicky Clark 40 yard headers. 0-0. 

Must be some sort of record for this impenetrable M’Voto defence. Shame we’re so impotent up front.

Dumfries is a nice place. Tidy wee town centre with a few decent pubs around, especially the aforementioned Caven. Slight loss of points for the very limited options for buying a carry out for the train though 

The Morrisons store 5 minutes away too far for you? [emoji14]

3 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

The Morrisons store 5 minutes away too far for you? emoji14.png

Wait..what?! I thought it was about 25 minutes walk from the station. Last time I had to go to the Premier in the town centre.

Still at least it was cold.

Archived