Airdrie v Queens Park

EJF

Got the score right(on here) for once but it should have been so comfortable with a half time lead. The early miss in the second half seemed to let QP back into the game. Overall it was very scrappy for much of the time and when we did create some good attacks, the final pass/cross was always in the wrong place. One good move should have seen Stewart score a decisive third. I thought he might have taken Cairns off due to his booking but it was Watts initial errpr which let our defence somehow leave the gap for their big No 5 who was really calm in finishing, As others have said yet again we could have lost an equaliser but for Ferguson.The result was far better than the performance and it gives a good gap on QP especially when you see the Forfar result. Carrick deserved MOM and good to see Duffy get a goal. QP had a late surge but I was pleased it was too late-did not really see what the Keena had to offer but a big tough defence was quite good. As for Mr Napier he looked as if he wanted to be the centre of attention and whilst he had some bizarre moments, especially stopping a  counter attack  for a non injury ,he did award the free kick and penalty for our two goals.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's no surprise that last time we were as poor as that was our last visit to Airdrie. Simply out-played and over-run by a better team, and we looked totally lost for long periods. Another poorly defended header and a needless penalty. I think Gus got this one wrong and particularly frustrated to see McVey on the bench. I also think it is a big risk to play Burns out of position, and it took a while to convince myself that I was seeing Galt at right back!

Keena contrasts the lack of Division 1 quality we have, so does our best player over the last few years sitting on the Airdrie bench. Cummins having a great season though.

The game as a spectacle was spoiled a bit by a ref out of his depth.

Other results making it harder to take. Next week quite important.

All credit to Airdrie who hounded us from start to finish, tackled stronger and outpaced us in all areas. Too many QP midfielders trotting around with half-hearted tackles and we didn't have a good spell at any time. Desperate stuff when you move your central defender into attack and he gets the goal and only real effort on target. Airdrie were the better team for their graft and pace but not a lot in terms of football, but still good enough for us. Galt didn't even look sure where he was meant to be playing, never mind doing a job. God only knows what was going through Gus' head with that decision.

Anything less than wins against Forfar & Rovers and we're done here. Tactically we're bereft so it's going to have to be something spectacular from individuals.

Gus has lost it altogether. All he had to do was play the same as last week replacing Mullen at right back with McVey/Magee and leave the line up the same but no the clown has to change 3 players and drop McVey for the statue that is Fotheringham. His selections baffle me, why bring back Donnelly as well. We did not play great last week but we did not concede. I'm sorry I don't think he is up to the job. To stubborn for his own good. Bet you he goes back to the East Fife team that started next week if all available. Playing our only creative player at the back is criminal. 

1 hour ago, qpfc said:

Questionable line up and tactics

Why put our most effective attacker at right back  and then decide to move him back on the wing when we're 2-0 down? 

Why drop Mcvey ? Brings energy and running to the team, instead we put Fotheringham back in and ultimately we're cut apart in midfield. We only had to make one change with Millen suspended and we could of quite simply put Burns at right back and then stick Summers at left back. 

Nimmo didn't exactly inspire me with confidence but hopefully he'll get better with a couple more games under his belt. Keena done well again and Cummins actually looked alright as a striker for the last 5 minutes with a very composed finish. 

Nimmo was strong, decisive and composed last week. Looked like a trialist today.  Penalty was just stupidity.

1 hour ago, williebraveheart said:

For those who have defended MacPherson so resolutely please explain that starting line up and then the tactics. He should be asked to leave immediately.  Fotheringham, Burns and  Donnelly should go with him. What a sickener.

Well said. He is taking us down with his inept selections and lack of tactics.

We deserved the three points today, though the panic that gripped our team in the first couple of minutes after they scored (which was a farcical goal to lose) could easily have seen us drop two of them.  Rohan deserves credit for a vital save when a rerun of the last game against Albion Rovers looked like playing out.   It was good to see Duffy break his duck as well, hopefully he'll go on and get some more in the next few weeks, as when a striker goes on a barren run you can kind of feel it getting to him. 
We were certainly the better team, but especially in the second half struggled to get any kind of fluency in our play, and the game became scrappy, with neither side able to take control.  This wasn't helped by an atrocious refereeing performance.

I'm not sure why Edwards was benched.  If Higgins isn't ready to start yet, I'd have gone with the same setup as last week, as I thought MacDonald was doing better at centre half than MacGregor.  I can understand not wanting to play him too much too soon, but even if that's the thinking then I think a home game against a struggling Queen's Park would have been a good chance to give him the full 90.  Equally, there's nothing wrong with trying out different setups, but I don't think anyone would have picked Edwards out as a weak link in our defence. 

Brown looks to be an intelligent player, though he seemed to drift out of the game a bit in the second half. 

Not a classic by any means, but a good three points for us, and other results went in our favour as well.

Also, it was encouraging to see the attendance: 908, as against 747* when we had Queens at home earlier in the season.   I suppose a QP fan can tell us how the travelling support compares to that game, but I can't imagine it would be very different.   Things are going in the right direction.  We didn't become a diddy club overnight, and we won't get back to where we want to be overnight either, but if the team can continue with the good run of form we'll hopefully see some decent, sustained growth in attendance.  We've got Albion Rovers, Raith Rovers and Ayr United still to play at home - so it's not inconceivable that we'll get three gates of over a thousand before the season's out.

* Both on separate flights
Strangers in the night 
etc. etc. etc.

2 hours ago, Roger Thornhill said:

The boy Carrick is a class act -excellent signing  who gives 100% - in about it, harrying, scrapping and with good feet and a bit of pace.

Daft goal to give away but all in all we look comfortable.

The referee?  What a theatrical little dick.

Star of the show, so he was.

We deserved the three points today, though the panic that gripped our team in the first couple of minutes after they scored (which was a farcical goal to lose) could easily have seen us drop two of them.  Rohan deserves credit for a vital save when a rerun of the last game against Albion Rovers looked like playing out.   It was good to see Duffy break his duck as well, hopefully he'll go on and get some more in the next few weeks, as when a striker goes on a barren run you can kind of feel it getting to him. 
We were certainly the better team, but especially in the second half struggled to get any kind of fluency in our play, and the game became scrappy, with neither side able to take control.  This wasn't helped by an atrocious refereeing performance.
I'm not sure why Edwards was benched.  If Higgins isn't ready to start yet, I'd have gone with the same setup as last week, as I thought MacDonald was doing better at centre half than MacGregor.  I can understand not wanting to play him too much too soon, but even if that's the thinking then I think a home game against a struggling Queen's Park would have been a good chance to give him the full 90.  Equally, there's nothing wrong with trying out different setups, but I don't think anyone would have picked Edwards out as a weak link in our defence. 
Brown looks to be an intelligent player, though he seemed to drift out of the game a bit in the second half. 

Not a classic by any means, but a good three points for us, and other results went in our favour as well.

Also, it was encouraging to see the attendance: 908, as against 747* when we had Queens at home earlier in the season.   I suppose a QP fan can tell us how the travelling support compares to that game, but I can't imagine it would be very different.   Things are going in the right direction.  We didn't become a diddy club overnight, and we won't get back to where we want to be overnight either, but if the team can continue with the good run of form we'll hopefully see some decent, sustained growth in attendance.  We've got Albion Rovers, Raith Rovers and Ayr United still to play at home - so it's not inconceivable that we'll get three gates of over a thousand before the season's out.

* Both on separate flights
Strangers in the night 
etc. etc. etc.

Loving the Saxon reference [emoji1591]

Appreciated the after match comments on the afc website re the referee and team choices, and Dean Cairns came across well in his views: it was almost as if he knew what the P/B posts were going to say. I might also be wrong but the Ref seemed to stay over on the far side as the players exchanged handshakes and avoided them. He has been fast tracked from the Juniors in 2016 where he also had some curious performances. To be fair to him mind you he did award the free kick and penalty for our goals. The highlights also managed to avoid the poor aspectys of the match but we did suffer a bit! May step up our game at Ayr.

46 minutes ago, Jack Reed said:

Interesting that Q P supporter said their best player last year was sitting on our bench ,

Presume he means Muir. I think there is a chance he'll be sitting on the bench for the rest of the season. Don't know whether there's an agreement with Motherwell that Ferguson must play? Anyway , he's playing not too badly at present. I reckon Muir may have been signed with a view to next season.

30 minutes ago, NathanQP said:

People calling for Gus’s head are delusional. Do you really think we could get anyone better in the position?

So how do you explain changing a winning team from last week and making 3 changes that were not required. Only 1 change was required.

Donnelley is not the type of player you need in a relegation fight.  I thought he got it right at last week against East Fife. Dropping McVey for Fotheringham was outrageous. McVey has legs and fotheringham is a passenger every week. McVey has been one decent player this year and taking Galt out of our offensive line up is baffling. Of course we could get someone better there are lots of people who would snap your hand of for our job. If he is manager till the summer we will go down 100%. He is a dinosaur in terms of football management, shouting and screaming at players when it  is obvious they are lacking confidence. Time for a change and a new approach. 

He made a change and it didn’t work, we are punching above our weight in this league anyway. I doubt they’d be a ton of people queuing up for the job, it’s a hard job to get right and I think Gus is the right person to have us competitive next season. Some people just expect too much

Archived