F1 2018

die hard doonhamer

Pretty sure Sirotkin was the only driver not to have any points before today, so he will be relieved about that.
I think it is his first points ever in F1
Rogros Haas has an illegal floor and has been disqualified,both williams now in the points
It is due to the radius of the leading corners of the floors reference plane. The FIA clarified the rule in July and gave the teams till Italy to comply. Hass asked for more time but got no reply so assumed that they had an extra race to comply and now plan to appeal.

• Replies 713
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Vandoorme is out of Macrenault at the end of the season

Do you think Vandoorne is one of the worst F1 drivers in the last 20 years or has it just been a bad combination of a dreadful car and a team mate who both doesn’t give a f**k and is far far better......hence the Stoff looking worse?

Do you think Vandoorne is one of the worst F1 drivers in the last 20 years or has it just been a bad combination of a dreadful car and a team mate who both doesn’t give a f**k and is far far better......hence the Stoff looking worse?
I think it's a bit harsh saying worst driver in the last 20 years, there have been some truly honking drivers especially in the late 90s. I would however say he has probably been one of the biggest disappointments given the hype surrounding him for a few years, every year saying he must be in F1 the next year. I think mclaren must be the worst possible place for a rookie driver to be right now to be fair.

If you were put in charge of a team next season and had to pick 2 drivers from the following list who would you pick:

Vandoorne

Palmer

Kyvat

Stroll

Sirotken

ETA - forgetting sponsorship benefits etc.

It’s a tough call on vandoorne. he has been shown up by alonso, but alonso is probably still as good as he ever was. Plus it’s a shit car. It’s maybe not a fair comparison, but it’s probably not all that different to Hamilton and bottas just now.

Bottas form is baffling, he is simply no where near Lewis but Mercedes give him contract after contract.

As for your list next year, I wouldn’t be surprised to see kyvat back. Ferrari like him and he never completely disgraced himself at red bull, he was just wrong place wrong time with max coming through.

For the other driver out the 4, vandoorne has the best record in the lower formulas but they have all had their chance and it’s probably time for Norris now.

1 hour ago, Dindeleux said:

If you were put in charge of a team next season and had to pick 2 drivers from the following list who would you pick:

Vandoorne

Palmer

Kyvat

Stroll

Sirotken

ETA - forgetting sponsorship benefits etc.

Stroll and Kyvat

Lack of Maldonado on the above list disappoints me. Still baffled to this day how he managed to win a Grand Prix. :lol: 

I was going to add Maldonado in but I wasn’t sure if he was even still racing at any kind of level.

I quite liked Maldonado, mostly due to the crash factor.

Lack of Maldonado on the above list disappoints me. Still baffled to this day how he managed to win a Grand Prix. [emoji38] 

That Williams must have been illegal.

Joking aside, one of the crazy conspiracy theories was that Williams deliberately set fire to the garage after the race to destroy any evidence of cheating. However I think the more likely explanation is that Williams actually built a good car that year but had two pish drivers at the wheel who were constantly getting involved in accidents, with Spain being the exception where Pastor managed to string it all together.

None of the above.
Vandoorne looks worse due to being further down the grid than most of Alonso's ex teammates but it's maybe worth looking at how far behind in qualifying and in race pace he is to Alonso. He was complimented by Alonso recently for being closer than any other previous team mate (other than Hamilton) in speed and this when Alonso is appointed the number one driver in the team and is extremely demanding. McLaren's hopes were built around Alonso and the second driver is of secondary consideration. Vandoorne looks a solid driver who makes few mistakes and has had to put up with a lot of reliability issues over the last two years in this team and has a team leader who can act like a spoilt child. Vandoorne through it all has been a team player and just got on with it. He deserves better.
I'm hoping Vandoorne gets the Toro Rosso drive next season and he can really show what he can do. I mean he beat in GP2 nearly the same line up of drivers that Leclerc and Gasly did and by some margin.
As for the comment about worst drivers, I believe the quality of driver over the last ten years has in most cases been of extremely high quality, I'm struggling to think of one driver who didn't deserve a chance, certainly the lower formulas the standard has gone up ten fold and this is having that effect. Right now there are no tossers in F1, a couple of wa***rs but there's no one there that is out of their depth and doesn't deserve to be there. It would be almost impossible for a Deletraz or a Lavaggi to make it to F1, they wouldn't get through with the current standard of competition in F2, GP3 or the European F3 Series.

Good post and it’s clear from it that you are far more knowledgeable about the subject than me.

2 hours ago, Snafu said:

None of the above.

Vandoorne looks worse due to being further down the grid than most of Alonso's ex teammates but it's maybe worth looking at how far behind in qualifying and in race pace he is to Alonso. He was complimented by Alonso recently for being closer than any other previous team mate (other than Hamilton) in speed and this when Alonso is appointed the number one driver in the team and is extremely demanding. McLaren's hopes were built around Alonso and the second driver is of secondary consideration. Vandoorne looks a solid driver who makes few mistakes and has had to put up with a lot of reliability issues over the last two years in this team and has a team leader who can act like a spoilt child. Vandoorne through it all has been a team player and just got on with it. He deserves better.

I'm hoping Vandoorne gets the Toro Rosso drive next season and he can really show what he can do. I mean he beat in GP2 nearly the same line up of drivers that Leclerc and Gasly did and by some margin.

As for the comment about worst drivers, I believe the quality of driver over the last ten years has in most cases been of extremely high quality, I'm struggling to think of one driver who didn't deserve a chance, certainly the lower formulas the standard has gone up ten fold and this is having that effect. Right now there are no tossers in F1, a couple of wa***rs but there's no one there that is out of their depth and doesn't deserve to be there. It would be almost impossible for a Deletraz or a Lavaggi to make it to F1, they wouldn't get through with the current standard of competition in F2, GP3 or the European F3 Series.

Yeah, but Jolyon Palmer...

Archived