Clyde Vs Cowdown

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Feel sorry for Cowdenbeath. I well remember how it felt to be in the position they are in from 2014/15. It’s a horrible, slowly unfolding nightmare leaving you feeling enraged / powerless at the same time.

Cant see anyone else occupying the relegation play off this season so these last dozen games or so are dead rubbers trying to get a shape and formation, and some vestigial confidence.

Lang played well not disputing that but neither him or Cogill put a cross of note into the box. Duffie played 126 games for Falkirk and you've seen the turn around in Cuddihy and Nicol since Lennon took over.

Duffie might be done after his injuries but if not then it may have offered another threat outwide as it was congested in the middle of the pitch. Cowdenbeath were that poor that I could have played right back and we would have still have kept a clean sheet.

It would also give us the option of playing Lang at centre half as I think he would do better against Peaso than McNiff.
Honestly, I cannot remember Duffie putting in a cross of note in any of his games for Clyde.
His crossing stats must be similar to Phil Johnson's

I'm not sure Cogill is better than Stewart or Lowden at left back but Lang is definitely better than Duffie on the right.

dltable.png.6dde251b24fefe8c47cf76d132a7fd07.png

Danny Lennon and Gary Bollan both took over their new clubs within 24 hours of each other. Here's the table since (if I've missed a goal or two then I apologise; I'm watching  the Genoa/Inter and TNS/Dumbarton games at the same time). I didn't do this with any intention of comparing the two incidentally and I'm fully aware that a table of the last 5 games would make even better reading.

For the season as a whole, we've now got the 4th most clean sheets in the league  (behind the top two and Annan) despite not having one when DL took over, and we have the joint most home clean sheets (with Montrose). We've played a game less than everyone (and three less than Montrose) but our defensive record has been excellent regardless.

dltable.png.6dde251b24fefe8c47cf76d132a7fd07.png
Danny Lennon and Gary Bollan both took over their new clubs within 24 hours of each other. Here's the table since (if I've missed a goal or two then I apologise; I'm watching  the Genoa/Inter and TNS/Dumbarton games at the same time). I didn't do this with any intention of comparing the two incidentally and I'm fully aware that a table of the last 5 games would make even better reading.
For the season as a whole, we've now got the 4th most clean sheets in the league  (behind the top two and Annan) despite not having one when DL took over, and we have the joint most home clean sheets (with Montrose). We've played a game less than everyone (and three less than Montrose) but our defensive record has been excellent regardless.

Yes. All very well but all Clyde needed was a manager. We needed a magician. Although I do concede Danny Lennon has done a great job to turn things around. Our squad is our problem.

2 minutes ago, onecowden said:

Yes. All very well but all Clyde needed was a manager. We needed a magician. Although I do concede Danny Lennon has done a great job to turn things around. Our squad is our problem.

Like I say, I wasn't intending to compare Clyde and Cowdenbeath. It took us 4 and a half games to score a goal, he didn't win any of his first 6. After the 3-0 defeat to Stenny the majority of Clyde fans were dreading the three games we had to play against you lot as play-off deciders. We've clearly been able to strengthen our squad more than Cowden were able to.

1 minute ago, David W said:

Like I say, I wasn't intending to compare Clyde and Cowdenbeath. It took us 4 and a half games to score a goal, he didn't win any of his first 6. After the 3-0 defeat to Stenny the majority of Clyde fans were dreading the three games we had to play against you lot as play-off deciders. We've clearly been able to strengthen our squad more than Cowden were able to.

Always felt Danny would sort Clyde out tbh. He seems to have done well in the transfer window. Clyde had a better squad than us pre managerial changes so Bollan was always going to have the harder job of the two.

I know Cowdenbeath are not great and I certainly won't gloat on that fact as we were worse  2-3 months ago. However, that today was probibly the most complete 90 mins so far under the Lennon / Moore revolution and revolution is certainly is absolute night and day from last few seasons. Today was probibly first time we seen the team displaying some sort of game management. Tried to keep the ball and tried to do it with pace and if nothing was on or were under pressure they were happy to play it back and start again. Granted Cowbenbeath allowed us to to but still huge improvement.
McStay looks a real player and with Lamont and a vastly improved Cuddihy allowed Nicoll do the stuff that he is actually good at. I will happily say now that I was quick to critise him but hinge credit to him in recent weeks some great shifts. Can't finish of course without my usual "Goodwillie is total class act!" first goal was an absolute peach of a finish.  McStay or Nicoll my MOM
Great to enjoy the football again, thanks Danny & Allan

DGW is a total class act his finishing is just exquisite I don't think we have had a better finisher in years probably Ian harty
But nothing like the quality and great to see him applaud the fans at end real connection with fans ,absolutely love the guy[emoji106]

Lang played well not disputing that but neither him or Cogill put a cross of note into the box. Duffie played 126 games for Falkirk and you've seen the turn around in Cuddihy and Nicol since Lennon took over.

Duffie might be done after his injuries but if not then it may have offered another threat outwide as it was congested in the middle of the pitch. Cowdenbeath were that poor that I could have played right back and we would have still have kept a clean sheet.

It would also give us the option of playing Lang at centre half as I think he would do better against Peaso than McNiff.

I would like to see either Lang or cogdil
At centre half but it's difficult to change at moment, if Lennon does change it and we lose then everyone is going to say why change. We all have different views but the manager is getting results we have a cracking squad and isn't it great that we are discussing how we improve a team that's won 5 in a row [emoji106]

3 hours ago, CK said:
3 hours ago, Sao Paulo said:
If you're talking league games, 1972, if I have it right. September, October time. Just let that sink in.
We have had six-streaks if you include cup wins. 1999 is probably the best marker for that sort of form; we beat Hamilton in the cup but they were also in the same league at the time.
Really rare for any team in these levels to string that kind of run up. At any time. We've got a recently multi-million pound forward, three full-time players and Chris McStay with us now. These are rare times, with rare quality; not excluding in the dugout. It does add up.

7 league wins in a row between December 2003 and February 2004.

You're quite right. I picked two up as cup games, in error. That takes the sting away just nice actually. 

Think I'm right in saying that, past that, you do have to go way back when though.

58 minutes ago, ekokuk63 said:

Took my son to the game today, he's not been to Broadwood with me for 9 years and he actually enjoyed it, as did I. I think it's the start of something

Well done for going ek. I’ve been promising for years I wouldn’t return but keep coming back. Just can’t help it although my attendance has been somewhat intermittent in recent years. If I’ve something else I really need to do I’ll do it whereas in the past I would make excuses why I couldn’t do it because I had to go to the football. Haven’t made it in the last 2 home games as I’ve had a lot of personal stuff on. Pissed off as I watched most of the Chapman crap earlier in the season. 

I agree with you. I think we’ve finally got something going here. I said when Ferguson went that we should go for Lennon because he is so positive and he is clearly instilling belief in the players. Credit must go to Innes for acting when it was clear that Chapman wasn’t working and credit for backing him in bringing in the players he has. 

Hope you’ve seen enough to tempt you back. I think this season’s gone but we can build a squad to go for it next season. 

Probably as comfortable a victory as I've seen for a long time, Cowdenbeath didn't look like scoring at all, didn't help with their number 9 being offside half the time. 

No debate over the penalty, cowdens heads went down after that. Thought that was a red card though, reckless tackle and I was relived to see Lang get up from it. 

Could be argued the number 7 should have already been on a yellow for the tackle on Nicoll earlier. Thankfully no harm done.

If we win next week, we can really start talking about and kin for the playoffs. Still would be an outside shot but Montrose achieved it from a similar situation last season. With the creative players we have now in the squad, playing confident passing football, Goody scoring for fun, we really look good just now. Really good.

Can’t wait for next weekend. Should be a cracking match against Stirling and would expect a big noisy travelling support too.

Our midfield looked pretty good last week against Stirling but we didn't have anyone to take sh*te set pieces so obviously Mullen came back into the team along with the man who is trying his very best to relegate us, Jamie Pyper.

Why three managers now have thought Fraser Mullen was good enough is beyond me. He offers absolutely nothing!!! I don't know if they see him as a hard man to add steel to the midfield but that he certainly isn't. He can't pass, he can't tackle, he can't take set pieces and he's just a liability - he always looks like he's going to be sent off. The referee would have done us a favour if he'd sent him off yesterday as he would have been suspended.

Jamie Pyper. He wasn't content with only conceding a free kick at Annan so gave away a penalty yesterday. He did get sent off against Annan though and the game before scored an own goal by getting in McGurn's way. The other incident that springs to mind was against Annan at Central Park when, instead of heading the ball clear, he headed it down onto the penalty spot for Aiden Smith to put into the net. He is not a centre back!!!

It was an awful game of football yesterday which Clyde deserved to win - Goodwillie was the difference. We looked solid enough in the first half with the back three not really being troubled. At half time, Pyper and Gilfillan switched round at the back and two minutes into the second half, we were behind. Bollan's changes were not positive - basically swapping Reilly being isolated to Cammy being isolated and making us weaker at the back. I realise we had a few players missing but we can't play for draws, we need wins. Even when Clyde went 2-0 up, we still persisted with one up front and no support for him. At least try to make a positive tactical change. If we get beat 4-0, f*ck it. We're getting beat anyway. The players haven't won in 22 league games - the morale isn't going to suffer any more. 

Great to finally see us playing good football again, looking more comfortable with every game now players are getting to know each other, hungry young players that have the quality to be in a higher league. Hopefully we can keep McStay, Grant for next season.. wouldn’t mind Adam Martin on loan for next season, can’t see Boyle and Gogill being here next season.. We will keep Goodwillie I imagine and Lang on a 2 year deal.. it’s looking good for the mighty Clyde :thumsup2 thank you Danny Lennon and Allan Moore.

not to mention the massive improvement in the likes of Lamont and Currie.

Archived