Clyde Vs Cowdown

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
45 minutes ago, haufdaft said:

I don't understand the logic of the Cowdenbeath management.

They need wins. Lots of wins. Why not play attacking football. Go all out and try to score more than the opposition.

It may not work but at least their support would have some excitement during the match.

Playing for 0-0 and losing narrowly makes for both no points and boring football for their fans.

If you're going down, at least do it in a blaze of glory.

Bollan does not do logic he is fucking useless 

5 wins a row! What a turn around after watching a season and a half of utter garbage. Actually enjoying going to the games now rather going out of loyalty and habit.

Lennon has brought in a number of excellent signings for this level. The few that were salvageable from Champan's squad all look a million times better too. First time I have seen McStay and he looks a very decent prospect.

The only negative is playing two centre halfs at left and right back. Both are solid defensively but don't offer anything going forward. The game today would have been the ideal time to test out Duffie or Lowdon against a very defensive and poor side.

Cowdenbeath are doomed and having had the threat of relegation hanging over Clyde, I have a lot of sympathy for their fans. They hit the bar with a fierce shot in the second half but that was it as an attacking threat. For a team that desperately need to start winning their game plan doesn't make much sense to me. They aren't good enough to keep it tight and try and knick a winner at the other end. One point out of the last five games surely proves it.

That's the most possession I can remember us having, in the first half, but we created next to nothing. Was great passing and movement for Goodwillie's first and the penalty was down to him being so difficult to defend against.

I do think we have to much to do to sneak out fourth. We would need to beat Stirling next week and then our game in hand over them which would be seven wins a row. Anyone know the last time we won six or seven in a row? We are into uncharted territory for me.

5 wins a row! What a turn around after watching a season and a half of utter garbage. Actually enjoying going to the games now rather going out of loyalty and habit.

Lennon has brought in a number of excellent signings for this level. The few that were salvageable from Champan's squad all look a million times better too. First time I have seen McStay and he looks a very decent prospect.

The only negative is playing two centre halfs at left and right back. Both are solid defensively but don't offer anything going forward. The game today would have been the ideal time to test out Duffie or Lowdon against a very defensive and poor side.

Cowdenbeath are doomed and having had the threat of relegation hanging over Clyde, I have a lot of sympathy for their fans. They hit the bar with a fierce shot in the second half but that was it as an attacking threat. For a team that desperately need to start winning their game plan doesn't make much sense to me. They aren't good enough to keep it tight and try and knick a winner at the other end. One point out of the last five games surely proves it.

That's the most possession I can remember us having, in the first half, but we created next to nothing. Was great passing and movement for Goodwillie's first and the penalty was down to him being so difficult to defend against.

I do think we have to much to do to sneak out fourth. We would need to beat Stirling next week and then our game in hand over them which would be seven wins a row. Anyone know the last time we won six or seven in a row? We are into uncharted territory for me.

Duffie have you been watching him when he has been on ? Lang was excellent don't know how you think he gives nothing going forward could put a case for lowdon but the team has only lost 3 goals in 5 games and two successive shut outs yeah let's a good old change around in defence see if we can conceded a few more [emoji106]

That was a strange 90 minutes. I'm delighted we won, and we showed plenty of good things in doing so, but Cowdenbeath offered absolutely nothing. It felt like a friendly or training match, I didn't feel at all concerned at any point that we were going to not take the three points. Even down 1-0, 2-0, they didn't commit people forward. Their striker didn't look like he'd ever played up front before; he was offside by 4/5 yards on a number of occasions. The captain went around shouting at everyone but sold the second goal. I absolutely feel sorry for their supporters but I think they'd struggle to give Keith a game.

Positives now. How many times have we seen Clyde struggle to break down a mass defensive action like that? No danger of that today; we almost got through on a few occasions in the first half (Cuddihy in particular) but against a tiring back-line of not very good players, we were always going to create chances with the guys we have got. The goal was absolute class, a great touch by Boyle to set Lamont free in space and from his pass Goodwillie produced a great finish. Great footwork from Goodwillie to win the penalty (although he should have squared it quicker) and a no-nonsense finish this week. 

McStay, Cuddihy, Boyle, Lamont. All comfortable in tight spaces, all capable of passing and moving, all actively look to get on the ball. We were able to interchange them left, right, centre.  No surprise that Goodwillie is looking like he'll score one or two a game with those guys behind him providing elements of surprise and depth to our play. McStay is probably as good a signing as anyone can expect to make at this level; he's great on the ball, composed, but also uses his body well to protect the ball. Boyle needs to do more (a tough game for him today with so little space between their backline/midfield) but it was his great touch that opened up the game and he's the sort of player that we've needed since Easton got injured. Cuddihy very good. Lamont tries stuff, and it comes off more often than not. Remember watching us try and break down Berwick/Annan either side of New Year. Absolutely night and day.

Back four and Nicoll all looked like world beaters today. Weren't up against anything, but it would have been easy for the concentration to go. It was re-assuring for McNiff to randomly punt the ball into the air with no-one near him with about 20 minutes left but in the main they did a good job moving the ball onto the better footballers sharply which was their job today. I'd agree we could maybe have done with a bit more of an attacking threat from those positions but I'd also argue that set pieces were probably the only chance we had of conceding today and that back four/Nicoll make us strong defending those.

Was Currie even playing? He had literally nothing to do except retain possession and his distribution was good as usual.

Then we bring on Martin, who clearly has a burst of pace and trickery that we'll need when games aren't going our way. Grant who has a bit of composure and reads the game really well.  Love historically is a goalscorer and will be back for the run-in. Would anyone bet that Kipre isn't good when you see the rest of the new signings? I still think the play-offs are a stretch (if we drop points next week it's over before it's started) but we should have plenty of good Saturdays (and Tuesdays) before the end of the season and get some momentum/support back ahead of next season. Lennon, Moore and whoever has loosened the purse-strings have done an excellent job since January started. We look like a proper football team now, but one still with plenty of improvement ahead.

Our set pieces were diabolical today. Will let them away with it this week but with so many other attacking strings to our bow we might as well be greedy and want better delivery.

Only real question for me is how on earth Mullen escaped a red card for his tackle on Lang?! Ticked every single box for a straight red. Maybe the referee had some sympathy for Cowden's plight.

Attendance was 613 apparently? That's a surprising boost, but I'm sure anyone tempted back will have liked what they seen from Clyde. The Stirling chairman will be rubbing his hands together with both teams in form going into next week.

Why don't we play 4-3-3? Put 4 upfront in fact. It doesn't work as it is. What's the risk?

Frozen and depressed - random thoughts

On your point the risk is you get a demoralising hammering and the fans then don't applaud your bravery and say 'well at least we had a go' but say 'what a shambles' - can't recall many instances of struggling teams going for all out attack and it improving matters. If you had the talent in your team to make that work then you would play 4-3-3 normally in all likelihood. Today with Cox our main striker out and Buchanan our top scorer out then the gameplan was more defensive - that hasn't been our normal gameplan. Goodwillie is a quality striker - but it wasn't really some sort of crushing victory and don't remember McGurn having all that many saves to make. Cowden had a couple of good efforts - McInally smashing ball against the bar and Malcolm headed wide when well placed at the back post.

I know Cowdenbeath are not great and I certainly won't gloat on that fact as we were worse  2-3 months ago. However, that today was probibly the most complete 90 mins so far under the Lennon / Moore revolution and revolution is certainly is absolute night and day from last few seasons. Today was probibly first time we seen the team displaying some sort of game management. Tried to keep the ball and tried to do it with pace and if nothing was on or were under pressure they were happy to play it back and start again. Granted Cowbenbeath allowed us to to but still huge improvement.

McStay looks a real player and with Lamont and a vastly improved Cuddihy allowed Nicoll do the stuff that he is actually good at. I will happily say now that I was quick to critise him but huge credit to him in recent weeks some great shifts. Can't finish of course without my usual "Goodwillie is total class act!" first goal was an absolute peach of a finish.  McStay or Nicoll my MOM

Great to enjoy the football again, thanks Danny & Allan

50 minutes ago, Jack Burton said:

Anyone know the last time we won six or seven in a row? We are into uncharted territory for me.

If you're talking league games, 1972, if I have it right. September, October time. Just let that sink in.

We have had six-streaks if you include cup wins. 1999 is probably the best marker for that sort of form; we beat Hamilton in the cup but they were also in the same league at the time.

Really rare for any team in these levels to string that kind of run up. At any time. We've got a recently multi-million pound forward, three full-time players and Chris McStay with us now. These are rare times, with rare quality; not excluding in the dugout. It does add up.

Duffie have you been watching him when he has been on ? Lang was excellent don't know how you think he gives nothing going forward could put a case for lowdon but the team has only lost 3 goals in 5 games and two successive shut outs yeah let's a good old change around in defence see if we can conceded a few more [emoji106]

Lang played well not disputing that but neither him or Cogill put a cross of note into the box. Duffie played 126 games for Falkirk and you've seen the turn around in Cuddihy and Nicol since Lennon took over.

Duffie might be done after his injuries but if not then it may have offered another threat outwide as it was congested in the middle of the pitch. Cowdenbeath were that poor that I could have played right back and we would have still have kept a clean sheet.

It would also give us the option of playing Lang at centre half as I think he would do better against Peaso than McNiff.

If you're talking league games, 1972, if I have it right. September, October time. Just let that sink in.
We have had six-streaks if you include cup wins. 1999 is probably the best marker for that sort of form; we beat Hamilton in the cup but they were also in the same league at the time.
Really rare for any team in these levels to string that kind of run up. At any time. We've got a recently multi-million pound forward, three full-time players and Chris McStay with us now. These are rare times, with rare quality; not excluding in the dugout. It does add up.

Cheers, I thought we may have been close in 99/00 which is still the most enjoyable season I've had as a Clyde fan.

33 minutes ago, Cowden Cowboy said:

Frozen and depressed - random thoughts

On your point the risk is you get a demoralising hammering and the fans then don't applaud your bravery and say 'well at least we had a go' but say 'what a shambles' - can't recall many instances of struggling teams going for all out attack and it improving matters. If you had the talent in your team to make that work then you would play 4-3-3 normally in all likelihood. Today with Cox our main striker out and Buchanan our top scorer out then the gameplan was more defensive - that hasn't been our normal gameplan. Goodwillie is a quality striker - but it wasn't really some sort of crushing victory and don't remember McGurn having all that many saves to make. Cowden had a couple of good efforts - McInally smashing ball against the bar and Malcolm headed wide when well placed at the back post.

We went 4-4-3 v Elgin when John Ovenstone was in charge and got totally ripped at the back.

7 league wins in a row between December 2003 and February 2004.

Archived