UEFA's Culpability - even the yanks can see it

The Champions League does exactly what it was set up to do. There's nothing in the article that would cause any concern to UEFA or, more importantly, the clubs who compete in it.

9 hours ago, EdTheDuck said:

An article in the New York Times, says nothing we didn't know already to be sure but if even the Yanks have twigged why the f**k aren't UEFA sorting it out

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2018/02/09/sports/soccer/uefa-champions-league.html?module=subsection_sports.soccer

As it's written by Rory Smith, I might not give the yanks full credit here.

That article shows the path to what most people bizarrely claim is impossible.... The EPL bubble-bursting. For some reason everyone seems utterly convinced that the recent disproportionate explosion of mega money is definitely a sustainable model because SKY SPORTS AN THAT!!! That article tells you exactly how it will go. Less competitive, less interest, other sports/industries smell blood and seek to take advantage, attendances drop, Sky turn the screw for a better deal, enter spiral. UEFA are making hay while the sun shines with the Champions League but ultimately seem determined to f**k over the sustainability of the game.

It is what it is. Fans like me will simply cancel Sky when the product turns to shit, and continue to support our wee clubs and watch real football, not Harlem Globetrotter style bullshit. I have said before in the EPL thread and got a typically fanboy set o responses, that I am alaready starting tog et turned off by the circus. I haven't yet cancelled SKy Sports, but it's closer than it's ever been. 

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:

That article shows the path to what most people bizarrely claim is impossible.... The EPL bubble-bursting. For some reason everyone seems utterly convinced that the recent disproportionate explosion of mega money is definitely a sustainable model because SKY SPORTS AN THAT!!! That article tells you exactly how it will go. Less competitive, less interest, other sports/industries smell blood and seek to take advantage, attendances drop, Sky turn the screw for a better deal, enter spiral. UEFA are making hay while the sun shines with the Champions League but ultimately seem determined to f**k over the sustainability of the game.

It is what it is. Fans like me will simply cancel Sky when the product turns to shit, and continue to support our wee clubs and watch real football, not Harlem Globetrotter style bullshit. I have said before in the EPL thread and got a typically fanboy set o responses, that I am alaready starting tog et turned off by the circus. I haven't yet cancelled SKy Sports, but it's closer than it's ever been. 

Pretty much this. Although bizarrely, the viewing figures dropped significantly the season Leicester won the league apparently!

10 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

The Champions League does exactly what it was set up to do. There's nothing in the article that would cause any concern to UEFA or, more importantly, the clubs who compete in it.

Do you mean head off a breakaway league by the self-appointed Global Brand Clubs?

3 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

I got rid of Sky Sports (and their fucking repeat ad nauseum movies) some years ago and I do not miss it at all.

The next TV deal dahn sath will likely be even bigger than the current one because BTSports appear to be run by even bigger idiots than Sky Sports. However, it could well be the last stupid money deal. What does the subscriptions cost now? £25? £30? f**k that.

With the changes to the UCL (and EL) ahead I imagine we'll see talk of the Atlantic League resurrected as UEFA squeeze more of the Big 5 Leagues into the group stage and shoo the diddies the f**k away from their increasingly elitist money making scheme

I got rid of Sky Sports (and their fucking repeat ad nauseum movies) some years ago and I do not miss it at all.
The next TV deal dahn sath will likely be even bigger than the current one because BTSports appear to be run by even bigger idiots than Sky Sports. However, it could well be the last. What does the subscriptions cost now? £25? £30? f**k that.
With the changes to the UCL (and EL) ahead I imagine we'll see talk of the Atlantic League resurrected as UEFA squeeze more of the Big 5 Leagues into the group stage and shoo the diddies the f**k away from their increasingly elitist money making scheme
I hope they do. It will have zero impact on Falkirk. All it will do is save me money as it becomes more and more obvious that the big teams have gone from teams competing in leagues, to show ponies designed only to carry messages of corporate partnerships and show off the best players in semi competitive games.

On 2/13/2018 at 19:01, sjc said:

Pretty much this. Although bizarrely, the viewing figures dropped significantly the season Leicester won the league apparently!

That doesn't really surprise me. The market for Premier League supporters are people who like the 'cool-by-association' effect of attachment to a big brand like Man Utd, Liverpool etc. When one of these teams is not winning, these people simply switch off.

It's like the Billy Big Baw Old Firm supporters who are football loud-mouths when their team is doing well but suddenly can't be arsed with fitba when their team is struggling.

The target audience for elite-level football is these people. It's not really people who genuinely like football. There aren't enough people who love fitba for fitba's sake to make money for all these sponsors. So, the game is designed for these football consumers who just like the attachment to a big name and the perceived cool-factor of that. These people are not at all bothered by the complete lack of competition in the Champions League, for example, since they know that the brand they have attached themselves to (Barcelona, Chelsea, Real Madrid, Bayern etc) will be successful and they feel that reflects on them.

These people are who football is now designed for. I love fitba, the final last year was the first Champions League match I'd watched in about four years I think.  I'm not their market.

I suggested earlier that the next deal would be bigger than the last and the next one would see a decline. Seems like I got it wrong and with SKY & BT getting cosy and with no other players on the horizon (ESPN, Bein, Amazon, Netflix all body swerving the EPL) the money has dropped a bit already.  It's still an outrageous amount of dough though.

The good news IMO is that BT only have 32 EPL games leaving them wide open for covering Jockball.  Maybe the rumours of them going it alone are true? I'd be happy to see SKY nowhere fucking near our game

On ‎13‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 10:01, sjc said:

That's mental! I had started to drift away from English for a few seasons before that  and like most I thought Leicester would fall away but once it was sure that either them or spurs were going to win I couldn't turn it off again, I wonder if those viewing figures were for the uk or the worldwide ? I'd be surprised if a British audience tuned out once the big teams couldn't win but you never know.

On ‎16‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 05:55, JTS98 said:

That doesn't really surprise me. The market for Premier League supporters are people who like the 'cool-by-association' effect of attachment to a big brand like Man Utd, Liverpool etc. When one of these teams is not winning, these people simply switch off.

It's like the Billy Big Baw Old Firm supporters who are football loud-mouths when their team is doing well but suddenly can't be arsed with fitba when their team is struggling.

The target audience for elite-level football is these people. It's not really people who genuinely like football. There aren't enough people who love fitba for fitba's sake to make money for all these sponsors. So, the game is designed for these football consumers who just like the attachment to a big name and the perceived cool-factor of that. These people are not at all bothered by the complete lack of competition in the Champions League, for example, since they know that the brand they have attached themselves to (Barcelona, Chelsea, Real Madrid, Bayern etc) will be successful and they feel that reflects on them.

These people are who football is now designed for. I love fitba, the final last year was the first Champions League match I'd watched in about four years I think.  I'm not their market.

I hadn't thought of it like that but you might be on to something, we all know plenty boys who've never been to a game, and cant even sit through a full 90 mins without playing with their phones, contantly sharing vomit inducing shite from givemesport & thesportbibble and players play fighting on twitter, that's what the EPL and champions league is now, fucking EastEnders with fitbaw matches. 

That and a good dose of brand loyalty "I only like the best stuff", which I suppose is something we are also doing since we're defending an overpriced product of poor quality to the death because its "real" ( its fecking not btw! Raith rovers are essentially the same as real madrid! that sounds utterly ridiculous considering the separate universes they operate in   BUT - they both pay professionals to play, compete for prize money, charge the public to view and sell advertising, media  and sponsorship rights. the difference is in the size and scale of each business)  but there you go we must be a bit more holy since we're keeping local businesses and jobs going right?!

The big challenge for Scottish football for the future, to compete for these consumers and increase its audience is how its going to compete in a modern & globalised world,  20 years ago they signed the first major TV deal that allowed the huge number of armchair old firm fans watch their teams away games , we haven't really moved on from that,  The powers that be seem to be still living in a world of the past where there was no soccer Saturday no Netflix , no facebook  no tinder no bet365 no cheap trains to Newcastle or London no cheap flights to Europe. none of that, the lads will meet their mates for a pint on a Saturday and go to the game and the dads will take their sons,  Its not like that any more , not on the scale it used to be .  I can remember when being stuck in the house on a Saturday with shitey Saturday telly was like a jail sentence and I'm no even that auld! there is much less need to get out and do stuff now.  I haven't got the answers btw, and since the SFA can barely tie their shoelaces i'm no holding my breath

16 minutes ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

That's mental! I had started to drift away from English for a few seasons before that  and like most I thought Leicester would fall away but once it was sure that either them or spurs were going to win I couldn't turn it off again, I wonder if those viewing figures were for the uk or the worldwide ? I'd be surprised if a British audience tuned out once the big teams couldn't win but you never know.

I hadn't thought of it like that but you might be on to something, we all know plenty boys who've never been to a game, and cant even sit through a full 90 mins without playing with their phones, contantly sharing vomit inducing shite from givemesport & thesportbibble and players play fighting on twitter, that's what the EPL and champions league is now, fucking EastEnders with fitbaw matches. 

That and a good dose of brand loyalty "I only like the best stuff", which I suppose is something we are also doing since we're defending an overpriced product of poor quality to the death because its "real" ( its fecking not btw! Raith rovers are essentially the same as real madrid! that sounds utterly ridiculous considering the separate universes they operate in   BUT - they both pay professionals to play, compete for prize money, charge the public to view and sell advertising, media  and sponsorship rights. the difference is in the size and scale of each business)  but there you go we must be a bit more holy since we're keeping local businesses and jobs going right?!

The big challenge for Scottish football for the future, to compete for these consumers and increase its audience is how its going to compete in a modern & globalised world,  20 years ago they signed the first major TV deal that allowed the huge number of armchair old firm fans watch their teams away games , we haven't really moved on from that,  The powers that be seem to be still living in a world of the past where there was no soccer Saturday no Netflix , no facebook  no tinder no bet365 no cheap trains to Newcastle or London no cheap flights to Europe. none of that, the lads will meet their mates for a pint on a Saturday and go to the game and the dads will take their sons,  Its not like that any more , not on the scale it used to be .  I can remember when being stuck in the house on a Saturday with shitey Saturday telly was like a jail sentence and I'm no even that auld! there is much less need to get out and do stuff now.  I haven't got the answers btw, and since the SFA can barely tie their shoelaces i'm no holding my breath

Surprised me too.

Link suggests UK figures but I wouldn't be surprised if the foreign market figures were affected even more.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/oct/24/sky-sports-bt-sport-people-switching-football-off

Archived