2018 Winter Olympics

The Naitch

15 hours ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

I think she's just ultra-competitive, as you have to be to compete at the top level. Nothing wrong with being upset today. Hope she comes away with at least one medal.

"I just can't see living with this feeling, you know"

Moral of the story here:  If you're not going to win, then why bother.   Great message when we're attempting to improve participation in sport. 

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, ChoppeReid said:

Mental sport though. Train for four years then can lose on the whim of the judges or get taken out.

This is what our media would have you think just now, which sounds good if you ignore the fact that her training since the last Olympics has gone towards her winning gold in the World Championships and the various other events over the past four years. 

"I just can't see living with this feeling, you know"
Moral of the story here:  If you're not going to win, then why bother.   Great message when we're attempting to improve participation in sport. 

She'd just lost in devastating fashion. Hardly fair to expect her to have an inspiring speech prepared. She just told the truth, and was completely honest, can't see how anyone could fault her for that.

15 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

The guy doing the colour commentary in the hockey has the dullest voice I've ever heard. It's almost remarkable.

Do the BBC have their own commentary for ice hockey or just use a North American feed? I watched some of the Slovakia - OAR game on a French channel before work, made it seem a little more exciting. It also looks like Kovalchuk has been on a diet (or ill)

9 minutes ago, Kejan said:

OK, no NHL players and so on ; but 

Slovenia 3 USA 2 is a marvelous result. 

And the Russians are losing to the Slovaks with the same score!

Slovaks winning is a slight upset but Slovenia is a big one! Considering they have only 3 KHL players and half of their defence play in the Czech second divison. The US team between them have 3083 games worth of NHL experience, Slovenia has 46 games

31 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

She'd just lost in devastating fashion. Hardly fair to expect her to have an inspiring speech prepared. She just told the truth, and was completely honest, can't see how anyone could fault her for that.

Have an inspiring quote on hand, certainly no, but her truth does indeed show her true thoughts that come across as particularly uninspiring. 

Her true thoughts are that she wants to win, the exact attitude that got her into a position where she is a viable contender for an Olympic medal in the first place. She was upset, and didn't try to hide it.

Genuinely think you're talking utter shite here, sorry.

3 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Her true thoughts are that she wants to win, the exact attitude that got her into a position where she is a viable contender for an Olympic medal in the first place. She was upset, and didn't try to hide it.

Genuinely think you're talking utter shite here, sorry.

... and there's nothing wrong with wanting to win.  However (and this is my gripe), it's a pretty poor attitude to suggest not living / being involved if it means not winning.  Two different things here that I don't think you're picking up on. 

2 hours ago, Torpar said:

Do the BBC have their own commentary for ice hockey or just use a North American feed? I watched some of the Slovakia - OAR game on a French channel before work, made it seem a little more exciting. It also looks like Kovalchuk has been on a diet (or ill)

As far as I know the BBC have their own feeds for everything, it was two English guys doing the commentary (different from the last time too, the last one was much more excitable).

I also don't really think the US/Slovenia result was that surprising, given that Slovenia's team is their actual Olympic team minus Kopitar, and the fact that the US is coached by Tony Granato. Your team running out of ideas when the opposition is chasing the game, leaving you constantly dumping the puck in rather than trying to generate any offense of your own? Ding! Especially when it's on larger ice and it's harder to play dump and chase as a result? Ding! Your team being blatantly outmatched 3v3 and looking like they've never even played 3v3 at all? Ding!

As far as I know the BBC have their own feeds for everything, it was two English guys doing the commentary (different from the last time too, the last one was much more excitable).

I also don't really think the US/Slovenia result was that surprising, given that Slovenia's team is their actual Olympic team minus Kopitar, and the fact that the US is coached by Tony Granato. Your team running out of ideas when the opposition is chasing the game, leaving you constantly dumping the puck in rather than trying to generate any offense of your own? Ding! Especially when it's on larger ice and it's harder to play dump and chase as a result? Ding! Your team being blatantly outmatched 3v3 and looking like they've never even played 3v3 at all? Ding!

I don't think they have their own commentary teams for everything this time, watched the long track speed skating the other day and it was 2 Americans on comms. Think thry are using the Olympic Broadcasting Service for some things.

Very noticeable that It's the second string presenters that have been sent out there by the BBC, and most of the stuff is being done from Salford.

36 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

She wasn't thinking about what she was saying. She was crying her eyes out. Expecting a coherent message on inclusion within British sport in those circumstances is like expecting me to explain String Theory after eleven pints...

Whether the comments are coherent or not makes little difference.  Her general attitude has been revealed  and I don't see her's being a particularly great thing.  It's not just about her wanting to win as you say (which is perfectly fine), it's her thoughts that her involvement is all about winning.  You don't need the latter to be successful.

If somebody said something to you that you didn't agree with, you'd still call them out on it regardless of the circumstances in which it was said. You wouldn't ignore them just because they were an emotional mess.  To take an extreme example, if somebody called you an utter **** after eleven pints, you wouldn't pardon them just because they were in an unusual state and 'not thinking straight' at the time.

Archived