Freebies for the committee

griffiti on the wall

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, peasy23 said:
6 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:
What, to away matches as well?

Each club gets given 10 tickets by the region, which are valid for all their clubs games home and away.

Didn't know that. Don't see sense in it, really. Committee do a great job supporting their club but that shouldn't mean they don't have to put their hand in their sky rocket at someone else's house.

It's reciprocal though.  Given these people are volunteers who give up their time to run clubs, letting them in for free to away games isn't an issue.  Are you saying charge the kit man, Secretary, Treasurer etc?  cmon.

1 minute ago, Burnie_man said:

It's reciprocal though.  Given these people are volunteers who give up their time to run clubs, letting them in for free to away games isn't an issue.  Are you saying charge the kit man, Secretary, Treasurer etc?  cmon.

Yeah, it's a bit of a strange one. I've always supposed the rationale is that most of them will have some function to perform at the game, and shouldn't be charged to perform that function. Extending that logic, do you start charging the away players to get in?

I have to admit though, I have seen clubs where two or three guys seem to do everything and a lot seem to be there primarily to function as something to hang a club tie off of.

4 minutes ago, db11 said:

I agree burnieman but there are a few teams that come with more committee than fans

Just penalise the guys keeping the wee teams running then I guess. In my experience, most of these folk miss a lot of their home games because they're busy making sure those who come are looked after. 

2 minutes ago, HTG said:

Just penalise the guys keeping the wee teams running then I guess. In my experience, most of these folk miss a lot of their home games because they're busy making sure those who come are looked after. 

I shouldn't really comment as I dont know the inner workings of a club, but if it were me, I wouldn't expect to get in for free at an away match. I doubt there are many committee men who see what they do as graft. Even if it is.

A good few years ago Linlithgow gave their committee jackets - and also sold them to the punters.

At an away game the guy on the gate happily waved everyone with a jacket through blissfully unaware of his error...!!

15 minutes ago, HTG said:

Yir obviously one of these committee men that don't pay at away games. :whistle

Let's not get silly

I'm not asking for players to be charged that's just nonsense

But I don't think anyone should get in free at any game just cos your on a committee after all its only £6 which is roughly the price of a pint but like I said £1220 per season is a hellva lot ah money to clubs that are struggling to survive .

19 minutes ago, griffiti on the wall said:

Let's not get silly

I'm not asking for players to be charged that's just nonsense

But I don't think anyone should get in free at any game just cos your on a committee after all its only £6 which is roughly the price of a pint but like I said £1220 per season is a hellva lot ah money to clubs that are struggling to survive .

In reality it would be a good bit less than that when you look at the demographic profile of quite a lot of junior committees - there would be a lot more concessions getting paid than full price.

One thing I would personally get rid of though is post-match hospitality - there's too much scope for getting pissy about X team not putting anything on or Y team not staying back for it. It's a disproportionate amount of effort for something that probably only appeals to the real old boys - the ones that get apoplectic with rage because the biscuits were shite.

Left to my own devices I'd rather just sink a couple of beers after the game with my own lot and/or the opposition.

Archived