Best Beer Garden in Scotland

Best I've been to is Laings in Dundee.  Bit of a trek back to the bar though and not sure if everyone still pishes behind the bushes at the end of the garden these days.

Was just going to say laings. Not been in for ages though but mind it was a trek to the bar

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

It actually feels colder than outside at the Castle Tavern. The wind seems to get funnelled in and the wood burner gives off fuckall heat.

Castle Tavern has gone to shit since George sold up. 

1 minute ago, Rugster said:

Castle Tavern has gone to shit since George sold up. 

Aye, only been once and the atmosphere was weird. Not sure if he's still running the Pheonix, staff have changed there too.

13 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Aye, only been once and the atmosphere was weird. Not sure if he's still running the Pheonix, staff have changed there too.

He's still got the Phoenix. He's looking at opening a new pub/diner just along from it from what I recall. 

1 hour ago, Boostin' Kev said:

Best I've been to is Laings in Dundee.  Bit of a trek back to the bar though and not sure if everyone still pishes behind the bushes at the end of the garden these days.

25 minutes ago, locheedfcno1 said:

Was just going to say laings. Not been in for ages though but mind it was a trek to the bar

Laings is now called The Boozy Cow.

6 hours ago, Virtual Insanity said:

Inspired by this picture in the Scottish Islands thread:

44c4e60e8301400193470dd0deaa274a.jpg

Where is the best beer garden in Scotland? Opening nomination: The Old Inn in Appin - amazing pub, amazing food but the views of Castle Stalker and Loch Linnhe from the beer garden on a good day are incredible. 

The Applecross Inn has fantastic views from the outside seats but it's not really much of a garden. 

I had a pint at that table outside the Castlebay Hotel back in September 2009.

I love a beer garden. It’s one of the main things I miss about London.

I holidayed at Fort Augutus with the kids a few years ago. The grass areas by the canal locks was the beer garden for the pubs. I liked that idea.

8F2B3247-8812-40AD-8EDA-9FBAFC4F21CF.jpeg

4 hours ago, FuzzyBear said:
6 hours ago, welshbairn said:
Here's Cheers in Fraserburgh.
wed2.thumb.JPG.689b8c1ceb4a533a38c89410c8b06246.JPG

Was there watching Linlithgow a couple of years ago - superb place.

Decent rooms for about £30 odd a night too iirc. Took me about 4 1/5 hours to get there from Inverness and the Clach game was postponed at 2.55. Fucked if I was going straight home again. 

5 hours ago, welshbairn said:

4 hours ago, Rugster said:

He's still got the Phoenix. He's looking at opening a new pub/diner just along from it from what I recall. 

He's got the Phoenix leased out now and is desperately trying to get out of the licensed trade. I believe he's now bought a B&B in Inverness.

The Castle Tavern has improved immeasurably since he sold it last year.

Check out their Trip Advisor reviews :

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g186543-d2170722-Reviews-The_Castle_Tavern-Inverness_Scottish_Highlands_Scotland.html

7 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

He's got the Phoenix leased out now and is desperately trying to get out of the licensed trade. I believe he's now bought a B&B in Inverness.

The Castle Tavern has improved immeasurably since he sold it last year.

Check out their Trip Advisor reviews :

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g186543-d2170722-Reviews-The_Castle_Tavern-Inverness_Scottish_Highlands_Scotland.html

They might be emphasising the food more now on Tripadvisor but I liked it as a pub. The food always looked ok before, and for years the top restaurant in Inverness on Tripadvisor was the Oakwood at Dochgarroch which is frankly a bit shit. How often have you been? Immeasurably improved? Before he sold the Castle Tavern and bought the Phoenix he was talking about moving permanently to London where he has a big barge moored somewhere. Surprised he'd buy a b+b in Inverness.

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

They might be emphasising the food more now on Tripadvisor but I liked it as a pub. The food always looked ok before, and for years the top restaurant in Inverness on Tripadvisor was the Oakwood at Dochgarroch which is frankly a bit shit. How often have you been? Immeasurably improved? Before he sold the Castle Tavern and bought the Phoenix he was talking about moving permanently to London where he has a big barge moored somewhere. Surprised he'd buy a b+b in Inverness.

The Castle still is a decent pub, and the food is now better than it was before.  It was my local for several years - even when it was known as the Harlequin.  I do still tend to make a bee-line for it whenever in the vicinity - I just can't think of any pub, anywhere, in a better setting. As for the Oakwood it is fucking brilliant. Did you never try the smoked salmon chowder or their Orkney beef casseroles? Plus you take your own el cheapo Tesco wine with you and there's no corkage charges.

Bliss.......And I can assure you George was, and I believe still is trying to buy a B&B in Inverness. Also the last time I saw him he was talking about sailing his barge, or houseboat as he calls it, up to Inverness. That might take a day or two.

I love a good beer garden but it’s also a very tricky thing to get right.

. You need enough passing traffic to keep the view interesting but you also can’t be so visible as to look like the town jaikie.

I think most Glasgow pavement cafes hit the balance just fine.

There's probably a good amount of great beer gardens in Scotland the problem is that it's only ever warm enough to drink in them about 2 weeks a year and thus they're absolutely rammed whenever you want to go. The 10pm outside license thing doesn't help either. 

Galway seemed to have cracking beer gardens in every pub I went to

8 hours ago, Boostin' Kev said:

It is now The Boozy Cow - I assume they're a franchise as there's one in Aberdeen as well

ETA: Just Realised that's been pointed out.

5 hours ago, The Golden God said:

There's probably a good amount of great beer gardens in Scotland the problem is that it's only ever warm enough to drink in them about 2 weeks a year and thus they're absolutely rammed whenever you want to go. The 10pm outside license thing doesn't help either. 

Galway seemed to have cracking beer gardens in every pub I went to

If there were a good amount, this thread would have a lot more posts. I suspect there isn’t a lot of great beer gardens in Scotland. Probably because of the weather, as you mentioned.

Archived