The Relegation Battle

The Relegation Battle  

374 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Ross County

3 points behind the play-off spot, but with a massive win against Dundee last weekend, they have renewed hope. County went into last weekends fixtures with a feeling that if they lost, they were dead and buried. It's funny what a difference a 1-4 mauling can do for one's confidence.

Partick Thistle

The team that has hovered in the 'danger zone' for the longest period this season. A team that was crippled by injury and don't look up to much, despite having much the same squad as last season which stormed into the top 6.

Hamilton Accies

Currently keeping Partick Thistle out of the play-off spot, but have 2 games in hand.  Rumours of admin abound though. Will this be the season they run out of luck?

Dundee FC

Stop start season for Dundee. Top 6 budget, woefully underperforming. Lost Jack Hendry and Scott Allan on deadline day, remains to be seen whether we can kick on without them. It's going to be particularly hard to utilise our playstyle without Hendry to lead from the back. A 1-4 defeat by the bottom club sparks fears.

St Johnstone

A team in freefall currently. A strong start to the season has left them in a position more comfortable than their form suggests. Still 2 games in hand over a lot of the sides below them, but look ever increasingly like getting dragged into the battle.

I'd like to say Kilmarnock and Motherwell are just about safe now (Unless Killie lose Steve Clarke so won't include them in this.)

• Replies 590
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a strange thing to see a poll like this and not find Kilmarnock involved and/or being one of the more popular selections...

Every time a particular team seem the most likely to get relegated, there's a change in fortune.  We've seen Partick Thistle pick up some results in recent weeks, and Ross County looked excellent from the highlights at the weekend.

I really can't see St Johnstone being involved towards the end of the season.

So that leaves us with Hamilton and Dundee.  Obviously a lot depends on Accies' financial situation, and whether they end up with a points deduction that would see them undoubtedly go.  I can't help but feel that's a club that has a more likely siege mentality than any of the others at the bottom however,  so I've gone Hamilton 11th and Dundee 12th.

The championship is absolute garbage this season though - one relegation only.

St Johnstone could be dragged into it all. They certainly look a bit stale but key for them will be their games in hand. Pick up nothing from them then they are potentially really in the pooh. 

I do suspect though that the current bottom 4 will occupy those places come the end of the season though in what order I'm not entirely sure. I think we'll be okay (just) as will Dundee (just) which would leave Hamilton and County in the bottom two. Wouldn't be sorry to lose either of those sides. 

I'll be content for County to finish 11th, because I'm confident they'd cuff anyone from the Championship with the quality added to the squad.

I've been writing off Acciees for years.  If it came to a dog-fight with them to avoid 12th I still think they'd scratch their way out of it.

I picked Hamilton and Dundee - no axe to grind with either team (in fact, I'd be happy if they both stayed up) - simply because I think from the outside they are the teams that were weakened most during the window. I'm pretty convinced that once again, the Premiership side will stay up in the playoffs.

51 minutes ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

No chance, your team is 10x worse than last season and we bodied them. Back to the diddy forum plz.

As is yours.

A Dundee United vs Hamilton Academical play-off final; may end up being the worst 180-210 minutes of professional football

The worry for us is if we're still down there come the final few games then we would surely be favourites to go down.  Accies, Ross County, Partick Thistle and Dundee have all been through the pressure of fighting the relegation battle and know they can come through it.

At that time of the season it comes down to nerves rather than footballing quality.  I'm not sure how much of either we've got just now..

We just need a couple of wins to pull us away from it all, but hard to see where that's coming from.

Accies are in a bad way on and off the park.   Ross County might pull another great escape but I feel the other clubs above them will grind them down.  I can't see any team in the championship that will be able to handle the scandalous play-off schedule then take on a rested and motivated premier league and beat them. 

It would be fairer to just have a play-off between the second bottom team and the team that finishes second in the championship. 

Archived