Home Attendances v Old Firm

A debate is taking place regarding the disappointing home crowds Kilmarnock are attracting against the old firm. Can supporters of the other Premier clubs provide me with recent home attendances for your own club against them to put ours into some sort of perspective. Thanks.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, Rugbypark said:

A debate is taking place regarding the disappointing home crowds Kilmarnock are attracting against the old firm. Can supporters of the other Premier clubs provide me with recent home attendances for your own club against them to put ours into some sort of perspective. Thanks.

Dons v Celtic Wed 7.45pm 20,528 (2001 away fans)

Dons v Rangers Sun 12.30pm 18,983 (2027 away fans)

2 hours ago, SaintDougie said:

It's safe to say that outside Aberdeen, Hearts & Hibs the away fans of either cheek will generally outnumber/equal home fans. 

The OF generally never outnumber/equal our fans at Dens. Tbf, Celtic did for the first time in my lifetime in the LC game at Dens this season, but that's an exception really.

Hibs v Celtic 20,193 Sunday early ko

Hibs v Gers 20,057 midweek usual 7 45pm

Away end at Easter Road holds around 3,800.

Hibs average gate this season is around 17,800

Easter Road capacity is 20,400 but despite sell outs (this season against Hearts, **** and Tic) never quite reach capacity?

7 hours ago, Rugbypark said:

Who is the originator of the debate ?

They maybe of the opinion that considering the improvements Kilmarnock have made under Steve Clarke Kilmarnock should possibly be rewarded with locals returning to support the club.

Dont think this would be argued with by the majority of Kilmarnock fans as they themselves have stated the club deserves to attract more locals returning to the clubs fanbase.

1 minute ago, Gaz FFC said:

Sure I read very recently Killie fans saying that the reason so many had deserted the club was the chairman?

Just an excuse then and you really do have around 3500 fans and that drops When bigots roll into town 

Over the past few years I can recall our home attendances were generally less when either side of the OF came to town. One major factor is that people see the OF fans that come to the ground as being unpleasant and don't want to put up with the sectarian nonsense that a fair amount of them peddle. Also the season ticket holders in the East Stand's family section find that their tickets aren't valid for OF games so instead of forking out an extra £26 to go they just don't bother coming. Was the same when we opened the Moffat Stand for the family section, that was given to the OF sides when they came.

1 minute ago, Andy_K_97 said:

Over the past few years I can recall our home attendances were generally less when either side of the OF came to town. One major factor is that people see the OF fans that come to the ground as being unpleasant and don't want to put up with the sectarian nonsense that a fair amount of them peddle. Also the season ticket holders in the East Stand's family section find that their tickets aren't valid for OF games so instead of forking out an extra £26 to go they just don't bother coming. Was the same when we opened the Moffat Stand for the family section, that was given to the OF sides when they came.

That's all lovely to read but you didn' address either point made.

Did crowds increase now the chairman has left?

Are your crowds around 3500 not including away fans?

2 minutes ago, Romeo said:

Less home fans go because there's more of a chance they'll get scudded

That might be an influence on the home attendance. Think its also fair to say plenty parents dont like to bring their kids when the Old Firm sectarian bigotry comes to town?

7,332 v rangers last night, 6,920 v celtic in January. In August we had 8,041 v celtic and in September 8,264 v rangers. We also had 7,394 v the blue arse cheek in the League Cup. A visit of either to Firhill is seen as something to endure especially since we've such a rotten record against them. My guess is that the home support is significantly smaller for these games although I have no evidence to support that theory.

4 hours ago, BawWatchin said:

That's because a chunk of them switch to the away end.

Literally most of our fans are switched to the main stand (the usual away stand) or behind the goals in the North Stand.  I don’t think we have short term deserters to the old firm but we’ve certainly have over the years especially when dicking about in the lower leagues or being managed by Dick Campbell. In retrospect we’ve probably lost more fans to apathy and lack of success than directly to the clutches of the bigot brothers.

In terms of the original question our games vs CelGers tend to be on live TV and get moved to midweek dates which causes a drop off, especially those with families. A lot of folk I know don’t go for their own reasons. Prices also get put up as were guaranteed 5-5,500 paying visitors so the club doesn’t mind inconveniencing the 2,000 or so fans who do turn up. Obviously there are other factors but bending over to the opposition and their fans to increase revenue can be argued from a financial point of view but it’s not a popular policy judging by the drop off in home supporters.

Just now, madhibby said:

That might be an influence on the home attendance. Think its also fair to say plenty parents dont like to bring their kids when the Old Firm sectarian bigotry comes to town?

Most smaller clubs if not all see a drop in home fans when the Old firm roll into town.

Sadly due to away fans the attendance does go up so the media love to tell us how much we need the Old firm even though they chase away the regualrs

8 minutes ago, Romeo said:

Less home fans go because there's more of a chance they'll get scudded

Sort of a reversal of why your lot get big crowds then?

And it should read 'fewer', not less.

TV coverage is likely to be a factor, as are unattractive kick off times and even more unattractive guests.

Just now, Gaz FFC said:

That's all lovely to read but you didn' address either point made.

Did crowds increase now the chairman has left?

Are your crowds around 3500 not including away fans?

I don't have the stats to hand for the whole of this season to date but I do know that for our recent home game in the cup against County we got 3,595 of which there were officially 46 County fans. That's up by a fair amount on the previous year's attendance which if I'm correct failed to get 3,000 people there. I reckon our average home support is around the 3,500 mark at present. Under Johnston you could see the numbers continue to decline post-Mixu, and I think that people will start to come back to the games now. There are a fair amount of people who said they'd stop going until MJ was away, and with him not budging for years these people stayed away and developed new Saturday afternoon habits. 

16 minutes ago, John MacLean said:

7,332 v rangers last night, 6,920 v celtic in January. In August we had 8,041 v celtic and in September 8,264 v rangers. We also had 7,394 v the blue arse cheek in the League Cup. A visit of either to Firhill is seen as something to endure especially since we've such a rotten record against them. My guess is that the home support is significantly smaller for these games although I have no evidence to support that theory.

When Hibs played Thistle at Firhill this season the attendance was 4997 with 1993 Hibees in attendance so there were around 3064 Thistle fans there.  I don’t know how many Old Firm fans are there when you play them and there are the issues that put off home fans v that lot - more likely to get beat, sectarian nature of some of their fans, higher prices, seats moved, kick off time, live on TV etc.

But do Thistle regularly get around 3000 home fans and would that be the number v Old Firm?  Of course being the magnificant Edinburgh Hibees maybe more Thistle fans than average turnout?

Archived