Phrases that scream a***hole

"As if" recently being used as "as if my b/f has just gone and bought me a Big Mac meal" 
"Fiat 500"

“As if” seems to have replaced “that awkward moment when”. Infuriatingly used to describe a completely non-awkward event. I blame Alanis Morissette

2 hours ago, Shotgun said:

“Health and Safety would never allow it now.” When used in reference to something that any sensible parent wouldn’t allow.

My dad talks about hair-raising stuff that used to go on at building sites, invariably finishing with an attack on Health and Safety culture.

I really don't get the logic in why you'd be annoyed about your employer having to consider your physical safety over a bit of extra profit that you'll never see.

1 minute ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

My dad talks about hair-raising stuff that used to go on at building sites, invariably finishing with an attack on Health and Safety culture.

I really don't get the logic in why you'd be annoyed about your employer having to consider your physical safety over a bit of extra profit that you'll never see.

Eggsackly.

There's a Facebook page dedicated to the town in which I grew up which is basically populated by people who want to blame the "greedy council" for...well, pretty much everything. Recently someone posted a photo from the 1950's or thereabouts, showing a workman up a ladder on the roof of the town hall, making some repairs to the top of the flagpole. The poor b*****d had no harness, no ropes, nobody footing the ladder at the bottom,  nothing to prevent him being killed or at least, horribly injured should a gust of wind cause the ladder to slide. It was both comical and sad how many people though this was a good thing.

5 hours ago, Ulises de la Cruz said:

"Ken whit ah mean" I know someone who constantly says this. 

Also, "My bad".  An American saying that's found its way over here. 

Know what I mean? is a bad one. Always added on to a completely obviously account.

"Couldn't make it, car broke down, know what I mean?"

Yes, I think I follow you so far.

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

2 hours ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Even more annoying "you can't do that because of political correctness", when they actually mean "health and safety".

Or when "health and safety" means the risk of getting sued by insurance companies and has nothing to do with actual health and safety.

1 hour ago, Shotgun said:

Eggsackly.

There's a Facebook page dedicated to the town in which I grew up which is basically populated by people who want to blame the "greedy council" for...well, pretty much everything. Recently someone posted a photo from the 1950's or thereabouts, showing a workman up a ladder on the roof of the town hall, making some repairs to the top of the flagpole. The poor b*****d had no harness, no ropes, nobody footing the ladder at the bottom,  nothing to prevent him being killed or at least, horribly injured should a gust of wind cause the ladder to slide. It was both comical and sad how many people though this was a good thing.

When at Uni I had a summer job with a building firm , early 70's. We were working in what is now Nelson Mandela Place in Glasgow. 3 floors up on scaffolding, no harness or anything.

A barrow full of bricks would be hoisted up at one end and I had to run with it along these planks to where the bricky was working. The only advice given was " If the barra starts to coup don't try to catch it "  Presumably so that you didn't follow it over the edge. Also presumably any pedestrians walking beneath would be considered the architects of their own demise for being daft enough to walk under scaffolding.

11 minutes ago, oldbitterandgrumpy said:

Is there any other kind of Health and Safety these days?

There is, but they've been massively reduced despite their huge success in reducing industrial accidents. So now ambulance chasers step in and H&S gets the blame, which gives politicians cover for cutting their budget even more.

14 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

There is, but they've been massively reduced despite their huge success in reducing industrial accidents. So now ambulance chasers step in and H&S gets the blame, which gives politicians cover for cutting their budget even more.

So essentially Health and Safety is 90% legal damage limitation. Aye?  (just made that figure up by the way, but seems to be the way things are going).