Berwick vs Clyde

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The two footed assassination attempt on Cogill was worse than any tackle that Nicoll, Monro or Stewart have been sent off for this season.
Not only did the referee not give a red or even a yellow but he gave a throw in to Berwick. I've no idea how Cogill avoided having both legs broken.

Fair play. Good that it's minor; didn't stop him jumping about like maddy at full-time.

Still. I'll just predict that mob-opinion will soon catch-up with mine. That is, that he's a centre-half, is best in that position, and will be far more a hindrance than help with his use of the ball. Just  a placeholder, this.

It's Ewan McNeil all over again really. Just the other way around. A brilliant full-back/wing-back, but a squad of people are determined that he's going in the centre. Mental. Not that Duffie's as good as McNeil, of course. Certainly not in his current condition.

Still. I'll just predict that mob-opinion will soon catch-up with mine. That is, that he's a centre-half, is best in that position, and will be far more a hindrance than help with his use of the ball.

I don't disagree that he is a centre half playing out of position. My point is that he's a better right back than Duffie.

It's been a few years since I was last at Shielfield and I'd forgotten how much of a slope the pitch was on, surprising Berwick choose to play uphill in the second half.

I'm not going to get involved in who is better than who in particular positions, I'm sure we all have different opinions on that, but the only opinions that matter are Danny's and Alan's, let's just leave them to it.  They seem to know what they are doing.

To me, the most positive thing about the last few weeks has been the obvious team spirit and the fact that they keep playing until the final whistle. Their celebrations are a joy to behold.  Long may it continue, it might even shut up the serial moaners in our support.

• It would help Berwick's cause if the referees had a basic knowledge of the rules. The officials yesterday behaved like they had no interest in football and had just been sent there from the job centre.

• Extract from the laws on taking a penalty:-
  •  
  • play will be stopped and restarted with an indirect free kick, regardless of whether or not a goal is scored for......
  •  
  • Feinting to kick the ball once the kicker has completed the run-up (feinting in the run-up is permitted); the referee cautions the kicker 

Oh aye, look. Lang's a better defender for sure. He'll let nothing by him, he's aggressive, mobile, talkative, athletic, great attitude. All that good stuff. It was a coup for us to sign him; and have him next season too.

But if we're going to kick-on and move-away from the 4-5-1 which, as we play it, is really about making it difficult for teams to play - including ourselves! - then we'll want good distribution from the back. And, as a luxury, we'd want a player with a mind to, and the experience of, bringing possession up the park. Duffie's our best option for that purpose, even being as sometimes-awkward and unfit as I think he is. He can beat a man - just about - and he's tidy enough with the ball. It's all about transitioning from being a stuffy outfit, banking on quality pinching the win - which isn't a bad tactic at all, in fact it's been sustainable thus far - but it isn't a strategy, to my mind.

We could take the same team into the match with Cowden, sure. And aye: because of their condition, we might even nick it. But you've got to ask... What could we do if opened up the pitch a bit more? I also look at these midweeks games... And the fact that we've maybe 3/4 full-time players in our squad... And I think... We could press that advantage big time. Maybe that's where you play the 4-5-1.

Anyway. We'll see. Happily, this isn't a Sweeney situation. You know: the masses being glad that he's playing and me being raging that anywhere near the team. With Duffie and Lang you've got a better quality of player to choose between. As some mentioned, it's no' a bad position to be, having that choice.

43 minutes ago, Redcar said:
  • It would help Berwick's cause if the referees had a basic knowledge of the rules. The officials yesterday behaved like they had no interest in football and had just been sent there from the job centre.

• Extract from the laws on taking a penalty:-
  •  
  • play will be stopped and restarted with an indirect free kick, regardless of whether or not a goal is scored for......
  •  
  • Feinting to kick the ball once the kicker has completed the run-up (feinting in the run-up is permitted); the referee cautions the kicker 

Don't know how much interpretation is allowed but it looks like "Feinting to kick the ball once the kicker has completed the run-up" is deemed to mean taking a deliberate fresh air swipe over the ball to make the keeper dive.  Either that or it was adjudged to be entirely a slip.  I wasn't at the game and am going on the clip posted here.

Archived