Frasier

The Minertaur

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The farce episodes were some of the best.
The episode where Daphne's old boyfriend turns and Niles has to pretend to be her husband gets me everytime. Marty's delivery of his "job" is fantastic.

2 hours ago, nelsjfc said:

The farce episodes were some of the best.
The episode where Daphne's old boyfriend turns and Niles has to pretend to be her husband gets me everytime. Marty's delivery of his "job" is fantastic.

‘I'll never understand how two men like you could be spawned from that sweet, courageous old astronaut.’

• 1 year later...

Kelsey Grammar has been doing a lot of whining recently about how the industry is against him because of his vocal support for Trump. He's also declaring that he'll "Never apologise for being a Christian", as if anyone has ever asked him to. Sounds like he's laying the groundwork for when this dreck inevitibly gets dropped. "No mah fault, it wuz them libruls!"

But yes, the original series, at least the early years, were among the best television ever.

Niles (after attempting to use Martin's aerosol shaving cream): "I'm all hot. And foamy."
Martin: "My hot n' foamy must've exploded!"
Daphne: "He used to be a detective, you know."

Edited by Shotgun
Spelt Dafnies name wrong.

Considering Frasier (and American sitcoms in general) has an awful track record with embarrassing "British" characters, the bizarre inclusion of Nicholas Lyndhurst doesn't bode well.

Looks a lot more Joey than...well, Frasier so far.

I'm currently at the end of season 8 of the original run. It holds up as one of the best sitcoms ever, the writing and delivery is so so good.

Just watched that trailer and while I'll give the new show a go once I've finished the classics, I'm not holding out much hope for it.

Guest DannyBlue

I just rewatched all of Frasier over the summer and it's brilliant. Wasn't sure what to expect from the reboot and with David Hyde Pierce not taking part I was worried. Having seen that trailer I rather suspect it's going to be crap. The unfunny jokes I can tolerate because if I can ignore that and pretend it never happened.

The sad part is it ended so well, with him finally seeming like he had settled down and found love, it was a nice optimistic note. If they wanted to make a shitty comeback they could have at least not trampled over that, especially not for a few 'horny old man' jokes.

Saw the new trailer. It's a little predictable that it looks like a simple role reversal where the focus is on Frasier and his son rather than Frasier and his dad, and rather than Frasier finding company with his brother, this time it's with Gary Sparrow. It's always tough to judge a comedy on a couple of snippets out of context. I mean, who knows, if the episode has had me laughing throughout, maybe a line like, "not in jeans" would have me chuckling away, but it's a bit concerning that there are no standalone outright funny bits in there. I'll likely still give it way more time than it'll ultimately deserve.

TBF, they might just be trying to remind the general public of who the character is in that trailer - maybe there's a plethora of high-quality original content still to come. Maybe.

Slightly concerned that they might have Rodney doing one of those "hilarious" British accents that you only hear on American sitcoms, but we'll see.