Frasier

The Minertaur

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I gave it a fair crack but the new Frasier is as dreadful as I'd feared. The jokes are awkward, the story a mess, and the new characters poor and obvious stand-ins for old ones as if the new writers, who I assume maybe watched at least a few of the old series, were given a checklist to work through.

I saw that the first two episodes are available and remembering that the first season of Frasier took a while to find its feet, I gave ep 2 a go and it's much better. It was far from hilarious, but there might be something in this after all.

ETA -- the bar at the end of ep 2 has a nice little tip of the hat to John Mahoney.

Edited by MSU

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/10/2023 at 22:23, MSU said:

I saw that the first two episodes are available and remembering that the first season of Frasier took a while to find its feet, I gave ep 2 a go and it's much better. It was far from hilarious, but there might be something in this after all.

ETA -- the bar at the end of ep 2 has a nice little tip of the hat to John Mahoney.

Aye, feared the worst after most of the first episode.

The next two have been slightly better though, so I'm hoping it's not going to be a total bin fire. There was a couple of moments that reminded me of the same quick wit the original series had. 

It's still awkward and obvious at times but if I'm honest, it's better than I expected. For now, Kelsey Grammar is what keeps it from being a complete write off. I'll keep giving it a go in the hope it improves.

2 hours ago, AuAl said:

Aye, feared the worst after most of the first episode.

The next two have been slightly better though, so I'm hoping it's not going to be a total bin fire. There was a couple of moments that reminded me of the same quick wit the original series had. 

It's still awkward and obvious at times but if I'm honest, it's better than I expected. For now, Kelsey Grammar is what keeps it from being a complete write off. I'll keep giving it a go in the hope it improves.

Same. I actually quite enjoyed episode 3. The character of David is still puzzling to me a bit, but Freddy is growing on me. Is it weird that he's in Boston and hasn't been to Cheers yet?

3 hours ago, MSU said:

Same. I actually quite enjoyed episode 3. The character of David is still puzzling to me a bit, but Freddy is growing on me. Is it weird that he's in Boston and hasn't been to Cheers yet?

Aye David's character just seems unnecessary. Feels like a really poor crammed in character who is there to represent what Niles was, but it's poorly done and a lot of Frasier's Niles-esque interactions are covered with his mate at the Uni. I heard that initial plans were to have David Hyde Pierce involved in the project, before he pulled out, so maybe they felt it necessary to have a version of him there in some capacity.

If a trip to Cheers isn't featured in these episodes then I can imagine it will be further down the line. Same probably goes for some guest appearances from old Frasier / Cheers characters. Definitely not a given just now that the show will go past 1 season, however.

I lasted about 15 mins of the first episode. Absolute garbage. I've heard a few people say it gets better but I'm not sure I can be bothered to find out. Not only was it not funny, the set seemed a lot cheaper than the original series. It reminded me of shite like the Big Bang Theory, which I also only lasted about 15 mins of.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not keen in the slightest, but did watch the latest one as it had Lilith in it. No surprise that it was the most enjoyable of the three I've seen given there wasn't much room for any of the new characters, none of whom bring much to the table.

David is like a cheap version of Sheldon Cooper from TBBT.