The Official SNP Deputy Leadership Thread

invergowrie arab

23 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

So Blackford officially out and Pete Wishart dipping his toe in the water.

Despite my previous championing of the Cherry/Shepherd dream team I'm coming to view it is better if they are not down in WM.

They need to be close to the membership and close to what is happening on the ground in Scotland.

The problem with that is there is no obvious stand out talent.

I think Alasdair Allan is fantastic but nobody has heard of him. Equally I have a lot of time for Mike Russell but too many people have heard of him and whilst able isn't exactly dynamic.

Think Mike Russell had ruled himself out already.

Whats James Dornan like? I only know of him through his twitter profile...

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

So Blackford officially out and Pete Wishart dipping his toe in the water.

Despite my previous championing of the Cherry/Shepherd dream team I'm coming to view it is better if they are not down in WM.

They need to be close to the membership and close to what is happening on the ground in Scotland.

The problem with that is there is no obvious stand out talent.

I think Alasdair Allan is fantastic but nobody has heard of him. Equally I have a lot of time for Mike Russell but too many people have heard of him and whilst able isn't exactly dynamic.

Going for someone like Allan who isn't well known but is quietly competent is surely better than going for someone who does have more of a public profile but has used that platform to show themselves as a bit of a moron like Dornan or a bit of a lightweight like Constance? Obviously a competent constituency MP could turn out to be a lightweight as well, but better to take a shot at it than someone you know will be mediocre at best?

9 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

Going for someone like Allan who isn't well known but is quietly competent is surely better than going for someone who does have more of a public profile but has used that platform to show themselves as a bit of a moron like Dornan or a bit of a lightweight like Constance? Obviously a competent constituency MP could turn out to be a lightweight as well, but better to take a shot at it than someone you know will be mediocre at best?

Agree but the membership isn’t gonna vote for someone they haven’t heard of unfortunately. 

3 hours ago, Londonwell said:

Think Mike Russell had ruled himself out already.

Whats James Dornan like? I only know of him through his twitter profile...

His twitter profile is plenty as is his championing of binfires like Zambonini. He has had to stand down from candidacy in the past due to questions about finances.

He came across as truly ignorant in his defence of OBFA.

When Pete is good he is great eg Lords Reform. He is an excellent local MP I'm not sure how well regarded he is across the party.

Alongside Angus MacNeil some of his social media output is watching through your fingers stuff.

Constance is an utter lightweight. Was awful in Education (although it's a poisoned chalice of a brief).

The more I think about it I would bin it. Leaders and deputies in the parliaments and a team of 3-5 executives in the party with responsibility for different briefs eg constitution, member engagement, policy, independence and media (I haven't overly thought this bit out)

James Dornan is correct to say we are electing a DL and don't fully know what it is we want a DL to do.

The only reason I've heard of Alasdair Allan is because he supported the "traditional definition" of marriage a few years back. That's a red line for me, so I hope he doesn't stand, and, on the off-chance he does, I hope he is defeated. 

9 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

The only reason I've heard of Alasdair Allan is because he supported the "traditional definition" of marriage a few years back. That's a red line for me, so I hope he doesn't stand, and, on the off-chance he does, I hope he is defeated. 

FFS

Scrap him then. Fucking wee frees

Derek Mackays not standing- probably correct on reflection unless he dropped the business convenor role (as suggested above).

Chris Law being encouraged to stand. Tommy’s the favourite atm by the looks of it- at least makes for an interesting race if nothing else. 

1 hour ago, Londonwell said:

Derek Mackays not standing- probably correct on reflection unless he dropped the business convenor role (as suggested above).

Chris Law being encouraged to stand. Tommy’s the favourite atm by the looks of it- at least makes for an interesting race if nothing else. 

Chris Law bought me a pint and when it was my round he asked for a whisky.

Millionaire too. 

4 hours ago, ThatBoyRonaldo said:

Chris Law, as an MP for Dundee, has the nearest thing to a job for life as it's possible to get in the SNP, and he got it off the back of arsing around the country in a fucking repurposed fire engine during the referendum. If he stands for depute leader and somehow gets it despite having done nothing of note as an MP then that really is laughable.

When you see how high quality a lot of our representatives are, and how many people in the party have genuinely really good politics, the more of a crying shame it is when you look at some of the nonentities that managed to get themselves elected in 2015 - although tbf we lost a lot of the worst of them in 2017.

Who would you like to see as depute?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Nominations closed. Keith Brown, Julie Hepburn and Chris McEleny.

McEleny is going to make this all about holding a referendum in the next five minutes and hand mountains of ammunition to the Tories, helping their 'day job' fallacy stick.

1 hour ago, Dunning1874 said:

Nominations closed. Keith Brown, Julie Hepburn and Chris McEleny.

McEleny is going to make this all about holding a referendum in the next five minutes and hand mountains of ammunition to the Tories, helping their 'day job' fallacy stick.

In which the SNP will hit back with actual factual statistics showing that they're doing the day job far better up here than the tories are down there.

4 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

McEleny is going to make this all about holding a referendum in the next five minutes 

It's people like this that I simply don't get.  If there was a referendum anytime soon, Yes would lose again.  Statistics though, suggest time is on Yes's side.  In that case, wait as long as possible.  Another No vote in the next couple of years would kill independence for two decades at least.

Archived