The Official SNP Deputy Leadership Thread

invergowrie arab

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Didn't sound like that at all from my perspective. I'd far rather hear people's views for a party candidate that goes beyond their performance in a meaningless setting such as Prime Minister's or First Mnister's Questions.

Sorry was trying to reply to @Londonwell

If I was an SNP member I'd probably plump for someone who is based in Holyrood, less you have a weird situation where there's a deputy leader under a leader in the House of Commons. 

21 minutes ago, Menzel said:

If I was an SNP member I'd probably plump for someone who is based in Holyrood, less you have a weird situation where there's a deputy leader under a leader in the House of Commons. 

I agree with that although if we’re being honest the 2016 SNP intake at Holyrood is fairly light on the ground in terms of political heavyweights.

My guess at this early stage would be the DL will be one of Derek Mackay, Ian Blackford or Stephen Gethins. The 1st two don’t want it but one of them may have to stand to stop the bold Tommy/Joanna. They would much rather someone like Gethins took it, the trouble with this though from their point of view is that they don’t believe there’s too many in the party that could stop a Tommy/Joanna bid and having someone like Gethins stand would be a risk to that.

Who would I like personally? Probably on balance Derek Mackay. Who do I think will get it? No idea but would guess at Mackay at this stage. 

I'm not in the SNP so may have my wires crossed here, but based on the comments that the Deputy is supposed to be taking on responsibility for internal reform; with Mackay presiding over two disappointing elections as campaign manager, can he really be trusted if the role is being given that much importance? He's also recovering his reputation from those elections with a good performance in passing the budget so taking the focus away from that doesn't seem the wisest move.

Anyone with an economics background in the running?

A big issue for me is that the SNP don't really have seen to have moved on much from 2014 where the perception was that they weren't prepared with a comprehensive economic plan. This should really be something they ram down people's throats as there is a great opportunity with both major parties right now to be seen as the economically literate group. A credible mouthpiece on this issue is needed if they want to win a referendum in messy circumstances with the UK.

I suppose it doesn't have to be with this particular role and they can use it to 'energise' but it just seems a good opportunity for a bit of free press to maybe indicate a new direction. Derek Mackay maybe might not mend fences internally but it would at least draw attention to his role and maybe give him a voice to go a bit anti-establishment while remaining an authority figure in having what is quite an important job.

My big worry about a second referendum is that the strategy will focus too much on preaching for to the converted and just kind of expecting that the Westminster clusterfuck will be enough to carry 50% +1 when it in fact could be engineered to forecast even more economic difficulty and scary uncertainty.

1 hour ago, harry94 said:

My big worry about a second referendum is that the strategy will focus too much on preaching for to the converted and just kind of expecting that the Westminster clusterfuck will be enough to carry 50% +1 when it in fact could be engineered to forecast even more economic difficulty and scary uncertainty.

It's ok, the Treasury spin fake news allegedly...

On 05/02/2018 at 19:32, Londonwell said:

I agree with that although if we’re being honest the 2016 SNP intake at Holyrood is fairly light on the ground in terms of political heavyweights.

My guess at this early stage would be the DL will be one of Derek Mackay, Ian Blackford or Stephen Gethins. The 1st two don’t want it but one of them may have to stand to stop the bold Tommy/Joanna. They would much rather someone like Gethins took it, the trouble with this though from their point of view is that they don’t believe there’s too many in the party that could stop a Tommy/Joanna bid and having someone like Gethins stand would be a risk to that.

Who would I like personally? Probably on balance Derek Mackay. Who do I think will get it? No idea but would guess at Mackay at this stage. 

The issue with Gethins is his majority. The SNP probably don't want another high profile scalping.

2 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

It's quite cool how frequently Patrick Harvie switches from being public enemy number one to either braindead unionists or yer da nationalists.

That doesn't actually make sense, champ. Try again. 

Archived