Livvy v League Leaders 17.2.18

Great performance from Livingston today, the team fought for every ball and won most 50/50 challenges, we were well up for it, best home performance in a long time, nice away support and hats off for supporting your lot all the way through, we got a few breaks and we took out chances, our defending is absolutely top notch, apart from the 1st goal haha.

Massive three points.

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First off, well done Livi. You did exactly what was needed.

Well that was disappointing, but not altogether surprising. Livi have bullied us in our previous games and we should have expected that. It's almost as if we didn't.

What is surprising, though, is that more teams haven't done that to us on a more regular basis. You only need to see the panic large units, Mvoto for example, can cause in our defence. I've felt it's been our main weakness, despite our many strengths. With Davis coming back I had hoped that would be lessened somewhat but it seems not.

However, we can't overlook the way we were the architects of our own downfall. Especially as we got off to a great start, a classic stramash, and most of us thought "right that's the difficult part we can relax - all the emotion of Ross' Barnsley visit had been washed away". Nope, Samson and Baird conspired to gift the equaliser. Neither player played well after that, and the team slowly followed. It was a decent effort trying to take control up until the half time but we were just letting Livi score and had no answer. Miller has to get some credit, his was a very decent strike.

I could mention the penalty claim, and a few very decent attempts, but really? We were well beaten.

Concerns? Not really, as I said we've been bullied before and I'm sure Ross will address that. We're still streets ahead, and if anything this result causes United more problems than it does us.

Today marks the day that The Amber Machine clocked into overdrive, historians look back and note today as the day Livi won the league :D 

Fair play to St Mirren fans, a fair chunk of them are taking this well. If we can secure 2nd place it means one less two legged affair for us and another one closer to doing the unthinkable. I'm really getting scared that scouts were watching our players and writing the pre-contracts up at half time, including Hopkin's

6 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

Fair play to St Mirren fans, a fair chunk of them are taking this well.

Don't think there is any other story than we were well beaten. Bullied and an error strewn performance. Pitch didn't help, and I felt the ref at times was a bit lax with your guys, the pull back on Morgan, but if you look at the game as a whole you lot were well worth the points.

As for Hopkin, I hear Barnsley are interested.

Just now, Young gun said:

We’ll have Hopkin when Jack gets the Rangers job:P

No, no. You don't want him. He's shite. We're underperforming. We're a long ball hammer throwing team :D You don't want Hopkin, just let us keep him

2 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

Do Livi put up their own highlights. I'll avoid the clown show of our defence, but I'd like to see that Miller goal again.

There's usually a guy that does all the goals, normally up a few hours after the game

Livi were brilliant, soundly pumped us. It was nice of us to gift a couple of goals and a further 4 or 5 chances to them.

Draw next week on Friday night please would be much appreciated. The post about Morgan getting put out for the season by the Livi player’s tackle is a bit OTT it was a bit rash but not that bad. Mullen’s tackle was far worse but that was the only tackle we put in all day. I thought he was off but yellow was fair.

Unreal today. To pump the league leaders given the run they’re on is something I don’t think any sane Livingston fan would have predicted before the game. That we’ve won it, and so comfortably, against a team that is being (rightly) praised to high heaven by most quarters of the Scottish media, sums up where we’re at at the moment. On paper, we’ve no right to even be this high up the league; on paper, our squad is a ragtag mix and on another day David Hopkin would’ve been out the door 20 months ago. No doubt we’ll slip up somewhere along the line and realistically, there’s no danger we’re going up - but some of the performances and results this season will live long in the memory. Credit to the players and management for making the fans believe in the club again, and give them something to be proud of.

Thought Hardie was the man of the match, closely followed by Robinson, who was excellent coming into that midfield three where he hasn’t really featured regularly. Hardie should have had a hat-trick today, second goal in particular was a wonderful finish and makes you wonder how we could have done with him in the side all season. Miller’s goal... Wow. Apparently “washed up”, he’s looked a very clever signing by Hopkin and could be the one to get us over the line. Cadden should have put it to bed earlier than Robinson did, but he was immense again - what a turnaround from a player who was very much on the periphery a few weeks ago.

St Mirren will win the league, of that I have no doubt. An excellent support today and got behind their team throughout. Pittman’s clearance from Hippolyte was the turning point, had that got in it would’ve been a different story but apart from that, thought we contained them very well for the majority of the second half. Good to get a win today against the Maureens considering how the last home game against them went down, bring on the Arabs.

Utterly tremendous from us today, not a single fault in the team. 

It couldn’t have started off much worse for us though, I feared the worst when we went behind so early but what a turn around. 

Ofcourse St Mirren defensively where a shambles, I’ve not seen a side look more frightened off high balls than them today, I actually felt 4-1 was quite flattering to them, I could well have been a couple more, tremendous save at the near post minutes into the 2nd half from a Lee Miller header, and Cadden going in on goal too. 

Hardie and Miller won nearly every ball, Robinson despite my fears pre kick off was sensational and deserved his goal at the end too. 

This team fight until the last minute, 91st minute and Shaun Byrne is chasing down a ball, 34 year old Lee Miller is chasing down a pass back and we score from it, it’s easy to see why we are doing as well, the team run themselves into the ground every week. 

Defensively as usual we where solid, thought Gallagher had his best game since returning to the club and Lithgow and Halkett as usual didn’t put a foot wrong. 

Hoppy has got to take some credit too, we took the game to St Mirren today instead of sitting in which I like many expected us to do. 

Brilliant support from Paisley today, credit to your club, continued to give it big licks even as time was ticking down and the game had all but gone. An away support we could only dream of having at our home games. 

7 points from 9 against Falkirk, Dunfermline and St Mirren is beyond my wildest dreams, and heading into another home game next week against Dundee Utd why can’t we make it 10 from 12. 

I’m buzzing, bring on the beer. 

2 minutes ago, andylivi1 said:

Utterly tremendous from us today, not a single fault in the team. 

It couldn’t have started off much worse for us though, I feared the worst when we went behind so early but what a turn around. 

Ofcourse St Mirren defensively where a shambles, I’ve not seen a side look more frightened off high balls than them today. 

Hardie and Miller won nearly every ball, Robinson despite my fears pre kick off was sensational and deserved his goal at the end too. 

This team fight until the last minute, 91st minute and Shaun Byrne is chasing down a ball, 34 year old Lee Miller is chasing down a pass back and we score from it, it’s easy to see why we are doing as well, the team run themselves into the ground every week. 

Defensively as usual we where solid, thought Gallagher had his best game since returning to the club and Lithgow and Halkett as usual didn’t put a foot wrong. 

Hoppy has got to take some credit too, we took the game to St Mirren today instead of sitting in which I like many expected us to do. 

Brilliant support from Paisley today, credit to your club, continued to give it big licks even as time was ticking down and the game had all but gone. An away support we could only dream of having at our home games. 

7 points from 9 against Falkirk, Dunfermline and St Mirren is beyond my wildest dreams, and heading into another home game next week against Dundee Utd why can’t we make it 10 from 12. 

I’m buzzing, bring on the beer. 

If we keep playing this way, it's in free flow to the premier league

Archived