The Decline of Football in Scotland

the original livi

What is the fans perception on the decline of football in Scotland and the reasons why football in Scotland is on the decline, with the national team not qualifying for a major tournament since 1998 and recently been drawn in a new European tournament with Albania and Israel countries that we are supposed to be on the same level with, being the third Level of a possible four within Europe.

Also, with the major clubs in Scotland continue to struggle when playing in the major European tournaments, what do the fans think are the reasons for the struggles within the beautiful game in Scotland.

“what has happened to the money/Investment within the Scottish game” 

No national manager, No money to invest in goal line technology, No chief executive just some of the recent things that have came up.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSe5P-1PHiLxaLNwm2uNHHbD_XbiOGopzBZEvO7JnhkdWvpJzA/viewform?c=0&w=1

Game is not so much in a decline but certainly stagnant. Lots of countries have been there but have created a new identity or focus to allow to get out of it.
Germany, Belgium, France, Iceland etc.

They followed a clear path that suits their culture and available resources.

On ‎04‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 13:01, the original livi said:

What is the fans perception on the decline of football in Scotland and the reasons why football in Scotland is on the decline, with the national team not qualifying for a major tournament since 1998 and recently been drawn in a new European tournament with Albania and Israel countries that we are supposed to be on the same level with, being the third Level of a possible four within Europe.

Also, with the major clubs in Scotland continue to struggle when playing in the major European tournaments, what do the fans think are the reasons for the struggles within the beautiful game in Scotland.

“what has happened to the money/Investment within the Scottish game” 

No national manager, No money to invest in goal line technology, No chief executive just some of the recent things that have came up.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSe5P-1PHiLxaLNwm2uNHHbD_XbiOGopzBZEvO7JnhkdWvpJzA/viewform?c=0&w=1

Easy! check back the year we changed Youth Football to non competitive until 12 year old the decline started there its no mystery. Scotland always qualified with its never say die attitude and though shall not pass. Now we have a youth system full of kids believing its normal to lose and the parents believing that their kid is entitled to a game. You know what I was pish at basketball at school so I don't get picked and didn't play so what I took up boxing, rugby and still played football. You've also got to look at the pro-youth system I'm sorry all the pro-youth systems can bitch all they want its designed to put a 20 man squad together to nurture 1 player 2 at a push and then the rest are dumped no other word for it. Keep the kids with their youth teams send the pro-youth coaches out to these teams and work with the boys club trust me more players will make it history proves this. Also stop blaming facilities the facilities now are a million times better than what I had to endure but more top class players were generated in my time. 

The current crop of professional footballers are the most coached generation ever.  I agree with the non-competitive point.  You wonder about the small sided game as well. It was well meant but a good player is not going to pass to a bad player more than a couple of times.  Kids seem only to play organised football these days.  Never see a big bounce game in a park with kids of all ages playing.  More observations rather than solutions I suppose.

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/02/2018 at 16:36, Boab17 said:

Easy! check back the year we changed Youth Football to non competitive until 12 year old the decline started there its no mystery. Scotland always qualified with its never say die attitude and though shall not pass. Now we have a youth system full of kids believing its normal to lose and the parents believing that their kid is entitled to a game. You know what I was pish at basketball at school so I don't get picked and didn't play so what I took up boxing, rugby and still played football. You've also got to look at the pro-youth system I'm sorry all the pro-youth systems can bitch all they want its designed to put a 20 man squad together to nurture 1 player 2 at a push and then the rest are dumped no other word for it. Keep the kids with their youth teams send the pro-youth coaches out to these teams and work with the boys club trust me more players will make it history proves this. Also stop blaming facilities the facilities now are a million times better than what I had to endure but more top class players were generated in my time. 

Can't agree more on the pro-youth setup, kids develop at different stages, some look to have  potential at an early age (9/10) but then hit a wall, but are in the "pro-youth cycle" by that point and end up moving from club to club. Then you have kids who are late developers but at 16/17 but find it hard to break into the "pro-youth cycle".  If you leave the boys with their boys club till 15/16/17 that's the age they start to develop mentally and physically, I believe that's the ages you will have a better chance of finding a good standard of player.

I think overcoached is a great point, but that applies across the board. Let players make mistakes and then teach them the game. I would never coach a player on the ball, but would question different possibilities afterwards when the moment is right.

I don't think being non competitive till u12 is why we struggle. At that age kids should just play for fun. It's clear that the late teenage years and transition to senior football is where it goes wrong. I do agree we lack a clear philosophy. 

Positive changes have been implemented to try and improve technique which is admirable. Unfortunately competitive football is usually played in freezing conditions on small parks where ability is diminished and hard work shines through. 

Think iceland are getting it right should definitely look at their model.

• 1 month later...
On 06/03/2018 at 23:26, TheLad said:

After the last couple of weeks I'm beginning to think our crap weather might have a lot to do with things.

It does, but only because our other facilities are lacking. There are less young football players now than 30 years ago, that's a fact in my local area and has to be factored into the decline. Also there are 6 players still in pro youth from one of my ex teams that are at the age where in the next couple of months they'll find out if they get professional  contracts. I met 3 out the other weekend, 2 out their tits on eccies and one as pissed as f**k.  This may be a big factor on why they stall at the vital 16-18 year old stage, our society is fucked.

Archived