The Decline of Football in Scotland

What is the fans perception on the decline of football in Scotland and the reasons why football in Scotland is on the decline, with the national team not qualifying for a major tournament since 1998 and recently been drawn in a new European tournament with Albania and Israel countries that we are supposed to be on the same level with, being the third Level of a possible four within Europe.

Also, with the major clubs in Scotland continue to struggle when playing in the major European tournaments, what do the fans think are the reasons for the struggles within the beautiful game in Scotland.

“what has happened to the money/Investment within the Scottish game” 

No national manager, No money to invest in goal line technology, No chief executive just some of the recent things that have came up.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSe5P-1PHiLxaLNwm2uNHHbD_XbiOGopzBZEvO7JnhkdWvpJzA/viewform?c=0&w=1

It isn’t in decline. It’s slowly improving. Events at the SFA are a sideshow. The standard of young player coming through is far higher than in the previous 20 years. The main league is pish but things will get better as Rangers improve, and if they sort out the season start dates.

5 hours ago, woof! said:

It isn’t in decline. It’s slowly improving. Events at the SFA are a sideshow. The standard of young player coming through is far higher than in the previous 20 years. The main league is pish but things will get better as Rangers improve, and if they sort out the season start dates.

I'd argue the main league will improve if Hibs, Hearts and Aberdeen continue to improve rather than only Rangers. However I do agree that Scottish football is improving when taking into account the standard of young player and the improvements being made at some non-league clubs.

12 hours ago, boulderdomb said:

I'd argue the main league will improve if Hibs, Hearts and Aberdeen continue to improve rather than only Rangers. However I do agree that Scottish football is improving when taking into account the standard of young player and the improvements being made at some non-league clubs.

No argument there. Rangers need to contribute to taking points off Celtic and giving encouragement to other clubs to keep improving.

1 hour ago, woof! said:

No argument there. Rangers need to contribute to taking points off Celtic and giving encouragement to other clubs to keep improving.

Aye, that'll be it.  All those diddies have been looking forlornly at Sevco just wishing they'd do better.  We just can't get up for it otherwise.

Although to be fair, we've done our bit by making sure Rangers never leave Firhill without 3 points :(

35 minutes ago, forameus said:

Aye, that'll be it.  All those diddies have been looking forlornly at Sevco just wishing they'd do better.  We just can't get up for it otherwise.

Although to be fair, we've done our bit by making sure Rangers never leave Firhill without 3 points :(

They barely tried when it was a two horse race.

f**k me, are we still whipping this rotting horse corpse? This is such a Scottish way of thinking. Look to the positives. 

Scottish football isn't as bad as we think it is. I have English pals who have come up here to study and are surprised by how good scottish fitba is. We just don't sell ourselves well enough.

I love Scottish fitba. I honestly do. I'm excited at the increase in young players coming through. I love following the national side, and yes, I get frustrated by it too.

But can we just stop with the halcyon pish and golden age thinking? Throughout my entire life I've been told that we weren't as good as we used to be, and that was when we were still qualifying for things. We don't have the same players we did in the 70's, but they also did bugger all at international tournaments. We can point to why we think football has declined, but here's the thing; there are multiple factors and being able to identify them helps us not a jot.

People have more choices than just football, work patterns are different, television, computer games, lack of schools football, having players plucked at crucial development stages by wealthy english clubs as squad fodder. You could write books on "the decline of scottish football" and they would all cite different reasons for it. 

The McLeish report will be seen in future as a huge achievement by the SFA. I'm still astounded that they commissioned it. Think about it, a governing body with a reputation for anachronistic thinking and self protection commissioned a wide ranging report into the game as a whole. 

Many of the recommendations are in place. We have the leagues back together under one umbrella again, we have performance academies and a performance director. This is hugely significant and goes a long way towards improving our game and reversing the decline. 

There are many positives here and there are people working hard to improve our game, at the very top, not just at grassroots level. Let's celebrate that and look forward with a sense of optimism. 

It's been over 30 years since a team outwith the old firm have won the top division nothing is improving in my opinion. Until some other teams step up and change the status quo it's just fucking boring. I thought some rich fecker would have invested in Aberdeen by now or hearts or hibs but nobody is interested. 

The 3 foreigner rule.

Too many pish 2nd rate foreigners coming in and ruining our game and forcing the kids out.

Bring this back and get the colts binned as well. Bring back the reserve leagues and grow from grass roots up to the top.

If we do this it will mean that we sell our homegrown talent at a better price. As we would have an agenda to keep them in the country.

6 hours ago, The Champions Erect said:

The 3 foreigner rule.

Too many pish 2nd rate foreigners coming in and ruining our game and forcing the kids out.

Bring this back and get the colts binned as well. Bring back the reserve leagues and grow from grass roots up to the top.

If we do this it will mean that we sell our homegrown talent at a better price. As we would have an agenda to keep them in the country.

why bin the colt teams if you’re in favour of youth development?

1 minute ago, woof! said:

I don’t remember it having been tried.

We didn't try sending the youth teams off to an island to fend for themselves to enhance youth development, doesn't mean that it's not obvious it wouldn't work.

13 hours ago, The Champions Erect said:

The 3 foreigner rule.

No there aren't. There's more young Scottish players getting game than in a very long time, possibly ever.

13 hours ago, kenny131 said:

It's been over 30 years since a team outwith the old firm have won the top division nothing is improving in my opinion. Until some other teams step up and change the status quo it's just fucking boring. I thought some rich fecker would have invested in Aberdeen by now or hearts or hibs but nobody is interested. 

What do you mean 'step up'? Do you mean spend money they don't have? That didn't work out well for anyone previously

Archived