The Modern Day European Cup

jamamafegan

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unfortunately everything which has been put in place now was carefully calculated to extract as much money as possible from each stage of the competition.

One way of increasing the drama of the knockout rounds would be to have a one-off match instead of a two-legged tie. Neutral venue, as equidistant as possible to the to clubs.

It'll never happen but it's a thought.

i actually like it , i can't see a probelm with the best teams in europe facing off against each other , it's the  best football to watch.

only issue i have is how easy they make it for the big teams to get through early stages. i'd rather it was just luck of the draw but i certainly prefer this to a knockout competition

They will perhaps make minor changes to the seeding in some way again but for the foreseeable future what we have is what we are going to get. It will take a seismic change along the lines of the clubs walking out on UEFA or something similar before there are any real, meaningful changes to the format, sadly.

10 hours ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

All former winners should be allowed to enter.

They are actually introducing a 'top up' to the club coefficients from next season, on the basis of having won it previously. Think it applies in UEFA Cup/EL too. Not sure if they're including the Cup-Winners' Cup.

Also worth recalling both are being rejigged for next season to further strengthen big leagues.

In CL 26 clubs will join directly at the groups instead of 22 (including all 4 from big 4); champions and non-champions qualifiers drop from 5 each to 4 & 2 respectively.

In EL 17 will join directly + 10 CL dropdowns, up from 16 + 10; qualifiers drop from 22 to 13 while a new 'CL losers' path take 8 places.

• 1 month later...
On ‎05‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 17:12, LinkinFighter said:

What's the alternative? Malmo vs Dundalk? Not for me Clive.

mentioned this in another thread, I don't think very many want to see that if they are being truly honest with themselves.  It would have one benefit in that it would put the competition back to belonging to the fans of the teams involved rather than large overseas television audiences like mentioned above.  You could almost guarantee that the silly money we've seen in recent years would dry up as tv and sponsors desert it, (not saying this would be a bad thing) 

Here is the real issue, 

Option 1 . You want to have a cup only for champions? in this case you will have half a dozen decent teams and 40 odd number making up diddys some of whom will be part time clubs from Iceland & wales.   I remember people on P&B during the last world cup whinging about shite teams making shite games, teams from central America and asia that only qualify due to playing in a weak federation.   

Option 2 .  You have a cup for the 32 best ranked teams in Europe?  would probably make for better quality and more competitive games but then most of those teams will come from England spain Italy and Germany with only one or two others,  Is that any better for people outside those countries?

The current set up is , if you strip it all back , fair (ish) The strongest leagues will be given more spots as they have a track record of producing teams that do well,   leagues where teams regularly get embarrassed before autumn kicks in (that's us btw) are judged not to be worthy of an automatic spot as any side from such league is liable to suffer multiple one sided pumpings and play several dead rubber matches before finishing bottom of the group, diluting the quality of the tournament and contributing nothing ( the group whipping boys don't alter the outcome for the other three sides if they lose every game) . It does make sense that teams from crap leagues need to prove themselves worthy on the park of taking part in the  tournament & you also have to think about protecting the best players from poentialy reckless and dirty players aswell.  Its really just the fact they call it the champions league and use the same trophy as the old European cup that gets people all misty eyed for the old ways. I'm not really old enough to remember it before it changed any way but some of you I'm sure will remember there must have been seasons when the old European cup was shite back in the day?

The real problem as we all know is the silly money involved just for making it to the groups, it allws clubs like celtic to have squads that dominate domestically for years on end. it turns big clubs like real madrid and Bayern munich into absolute monsters .  its not the format, its the money

i like the champions league, love seeing the best players on the planet play against each other, i do think there should be a fairer seeding system but it does not put me off watching it.

i don't understand how people who claim to like football cannot enjoy it. what guy in the right mind doesn't enjoy seeing messi doing it on the biggest stage?

11 hours ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

The strongest leagues will be given more spots as they have a track record of producing teams that do well

theres the issue right there-UEFA loaded the bases back in the late 90s by giving four spots to the federations with the most valuable TV rights thus creating a situation now gives you the impression there there by right;these nations were set up to succeed.With the French,italian and English federations that was fair enough, if it had been done on merit theyd have still got 4 places due to their strong and consistent success in European competition.France?they got 4 places too-at this point Scotland had twice as many European successes than they had.still do,actually

Thread title has given me an interesting idea, wonder who the last remaining champions are in each year of the CL era. The alternative European Champions if you like...anyone bored enough to research and list them? Where’s that crazy guy who done the British Legaue Champions thread?  Might give it a bash tonight since I’ve a boring Friday evening in the pipeline. Most likely be the usual suspects anyway but wonder if any surprises would be “Champions”?

49 minutes ago, Christophe said:

Thread title has given me an interesting idea, wonder who the last remaining champions are in each year of the CL era. The alternative European Champions if you like...anyone bored enough to research and list them? Where’s that crazy guy who done the British Legaue Champions thread?  Might give it a bash tonight since I’ve a boring Friday evening in the pipeline. Most likely be the usual suspects anyway but wonder if any surprises would be “Champions”?

You need to go back 7 years to find the most recent instance of a reigning domestic champion winning the CL, but the list doesn't really throw up any surprises:

2016/17:  Juventus (Final)

2015/16:  Bayern (Semis)

2014/15:  Juventus (Final)

2013/14:  Bayern (Semis)

2012/13:  Dortmund (Final)

2011/12:  Barcelona (Semis)

2010/11:  Barcelona (Winners)

53 minutes ago, Christophe said:

2016/17 - Juventus - lost the final to previous seasons La Liga runners up Real Madrid

2015/16 - Bayern Munich - lost the semi final to previous seasons 3rd place La Liga Atletico Madrid

2014/15 - Juventus - lost the final to previous seasons La Liga runners up Barcelona

2013/14 - Bayern Munich - lost the semi final to previous seasons La Liga runners up Real Madrid

2012/13 - Borussia Dortmund - lost the final to previous seasons Bundesliga runners up Bayern Munich

2011/12 - Barcelona - lost the semi final to previous seasons Premiership runners up Chelsea

2010/11 - Barcelona - won the tournament

2009/10 - Inter Milan - won the tournament

2008/09 - Man United - lost final to previous seasons 3rd place La Liga Barcelona (they had to play a qualifying round against Wisla Krakow and won 4-1 on agg)

PISS OFF LANKY above :lol:

Further back on Wiki requires more work and I won't get a chance to do it just now.

7 hours ago, DanMc99 said:

i like the champions league, love seeing the best players on the planet play against each other, i do think there should be a fairer seeding system but it does not put me off watching it.

i don't understand how people who claim to like football cannot enjoy it. what guy in the right mind doesn't enjoy seeing messi doing it on the biggest stage?

BUT are they really?    man city Chelsea real etc will have enough players under contract to fill several teams,  many of them will be about as far away from the first team as you and I yet would probably be first choice picks at clubs like sporting Lisbon ajax and so on. from a footballing and entertainment point of view that has to change, i'd much rather see an end to end 3-2 than a second gear 4-0 surely everyone does? unless you actualy support one of the teams dishing out the pumping ( by that I mean really support not just like watching them on telly and playing them on FIFA)  The same thing happens in Scotland to a smaller extent and has been for years, Celtics third choice 11 would almost certainly finish in the top 6 probably top 4 if they played in the league independently   If you want to see the best players play against each other then its going to take a game changer bigger than the bosman ruling to make it happen.

2 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Fun fact. It's actually dog shit to watch 

Lol.  Yeah I'm not looking forward to real Madrid juvebtus at all.  Coming from someone who would actually pay to watch Dundee utd.  The cl is fkn brilliant to watch, people who moan about it aren't football fans.

8 minutes ago, Peppino Impastato said:

Lol.  Yeah I'm not looking forward to real Madrid juvebtus at all.  Coming from someone who would actually pay to watch Dundee utd.  The cl is fkn brilliant to watch, people who moan about it aren't football fans.

aw f**k off man are you trying to say theres nothing bad about it at all?  there are so many mismatched games in the group stages with easy high scoring wins which are so predictable , you can just watch clips of the goals and trickery on youtube  hardly worth sitting through 90 mins for a frgone conclusion.  The dominance of real madrid Bayern munich,  barcalona  etc can only be broken by injecting squillions of cash .  fair enough barcalona got messi & Iniesta before they were even at high school but the rest of their squad cost a fortune, Bayern munich simply buy any player that is playing well at other top Bundesliga clubs and real madrid have a long history of buying the most expensive players .  The problem is not so much that these teams are so good its that very few clubs could ever hope to have a squad that can give them a game. the skills might be great but upsets are getting rarer and rarer, its all a bit too predictable for me.

28 minutes ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

aw f**k off man are you trying to say theres nothing bad about it at all?  there are so many mismatched games in the group stages with easy high scoring wins which are so predictable , you can just watch clips of the goals and trickery on youtube  hardly worth sitting through 90 mins for a frgone conclusion.  The dominance of real madrid Bayern munich,  barcalona  etc can only be broken by injecting squillions of cash .  fair enough barcalona got messi & Iniesta before they were even at high school but the rest of their squad cost a fortune, Bayern munich simply buy any player that is playing well at other top Bundesliga clubs and real madrid have a long history of buying the most expensive players .  The problem is not so much that these teams are so good its that very few clubs could ever hope to have a squad that can give them a game. the skills might be great but upsets are getting rarer and rarer, its all a bit too predictable for me.

All this is true of every league in the world and you never hear anyone moan about that.  The only difference is in the cl the quality is higher. 

You never hear people go see the EPL is boring same teams blah blah. I'm a football fan, so I like the highest quality football, which is the cl.

8 minutes ago, Peppino Impastato said:

All this is true of every league in the world and you never hear anyone moan about that.  The only difference is in the cl the quality is higher. 

You never hear people go see the EPL is boring same teams blah blah. I'm a football fan, so I like the highest quality football, which is the cl.

People have been moaning for as long as footballs been about, where have you been?

Archived