The Modern Day European Cup

jamamafegan

Otherwise known, of course, as the Champions League: is shite. It’s absolutely shite. Does anyone else think it’s absolutely shite?

My main problem with it is that the same teams are in it every season and they usually meet a team they previously met not too long ago. It’s boring, dull as dishwater and I don’t understand how people can get excited about it. “Chelsea drew Barca? Arsenal drew Bayern Munich?! Wow, I love Champions League nights!”

I would quite happily see the competition revert back to the days of the European Cup. Only the League Champions from every European nation enter the cup. For me, that would be far more exciting. Less chance of the same ties being played every season and a whole bunch of new teams in the competition. It would be far more interesting. Playing the likes of Bayern Munich and Chelsea should be a novelty, something that doesn’t happen for years at a time. I much prefer the Europa League because at least with that you get lesser known teams playing each other and it’s interesting.

I’ve been thinking about this more since the Eredivisie lost it’s automatic champions league place. Ajax, Feynoord and PSV are all huge European clubs with a proud history in European competition. These clubs are being pushed aside and replaced with more English, Spanish, German, Italian teams because they have got a ridiculous amount of places. For me, that’s messed up when the Dutch Champions don’t get into Europe’s top club competition but Tottenham do because they finished 3rd in the Premier League. Not to mention the fact they could be accompanied by FOUR other English clubs. It’s not right.

I certainly don’t expect a revert back to the old days anytime soon, it’s just a thought.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love the qualifying rounds but everything thereafter is repetitive overhyped shite with the occasional good game thrown in (never seen a classic in years). It now appears to be a series of exhibition matches mainly featuring nations from the top 4 countries.

It would be utterly hilarious if the big 4's domestic TV deals became so great they started fielding reserves in the Champs League.

On 02/02/2018 at 19:56, jamamafegan said:

Otherwise known, of course, as the Champions League: is shite. It’s absolutely shite. Does anyone else think it’s absolutely shite?

Spot the Everton fan :lol: 

3 minutes ago, Tony Ferrino said:

It's fucking awful unless you are somehow able to emotionally attach yourself to one of the perennially involved teams. 

How does an Ayr and Sunderland fan do that?

2 minutes ago, Tony Ferrino said:

Emotionally attach yourself to one of the perennially involved teams. 

How the f**k does any c**t support 2 teams anyway?

Plenty do.

I suspect the Elite Clubs will eventually break away from not only their domestic league but also the UCL to form an "on the road", "Harlem globe trotting" style Super League in search of ever increasing revenue streams.........we might just get a fair and equitable Competition back then......but I wouldn't count on it due to the greedy c***s that run the game.

On ‎04‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 00:37, Tony Ferrino said:

Emotionally attach yourself to one of the perennially involved teams. 

How the f**k does any c**t support 2 teams anyway?

the guy that made the original comment says he supports ayr and sunderland. these 2 will never play one another competitively(except in Europe:lol:) so I really don't see the problem

6 minutes ago, highlandcowden said:

the guy that made the original comment says he supports ayr and sunderland. these 2 will never play one another competitively(except in Europe:lol:) so I really don't see the problem

Yep and I'm sure there are plenty of diddy club fans who are the same as me.

The Champions League is shite. I can't even tell you who won it last year, that's how little I care about it.

1 hour ago, ayrmad said:

Yep and I'm sure there are plenty of diddy club fans who are the same as me.

Supporting two shite teams. At least you're consistent.

It’s a strange one for me. On the one hand you want to be watching the best players in the world playing against each other for the best possible games, but on the other hand I’ve become quite bored with the lack of variety in the Champions League now (particularly the latter stages where it is more or less the exact same teams every year). Not saying I’d rather watch the Bulgarian champions play the Albanian champions instead of Real Madrid vs Bayern, but watching the latter every single year does get a bit stale. I actually quite like the Europa League and probably watch more of it than the Champions League because you can still get some good games with big teams.

I could tell you every European Cup winner from inception right up till 2009 off the top of my head. Since then I'd need to think about it.

They've killed it and made it a football competition for people who don't really like football. Like most top-level football these days.

The big European games used to be special because they didn't happen very often. Now the big clubs play each other all the time, so there's no attraction. And the smaller clubs have essentially no chance of causing an upset, which was one of the things that made football so great in the past.

They've taken two things that made it great and killed both of them.

UEFA are dicks, the big clubs are dicks, people who watch the Champions League are dicks.

22 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

The Champions League is shite. I can't even tell you who won it last year, that's how little I care about it.

Supporting two shite teams. At least you're consistent.

Neither were shite when I started.

20 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

Neither were shite when I started.

Ayr United weren't shite when I started either. :lol:

Bad times when watching a team managed by Gordon Dalziel is your fondest memory of supporting Ayr United. He did sign some really good players though.

35 minutes ago, JTS98 said:

They've killed it and made it a football competition for people who don't really like football. Like most top-level football these days.

Excellent description that I shall undoubtedly use now and again.

Just now, Richey Edwards said:

Ayr United weren't shite when I started either. :lol:

Bad times when watching a team managed by Gordon Dalziel is your fondest memory of supporting Ayr United. He did sign some really good players though.

I started in the late 60's, Dalziel' era really wasn't remotely comparable to that era, can only assume I started following Sunderland as a toddler after Dick Malone went there, probably cemented when he helped them win the FA cup when I was 7, the FA cup was huge back then not the diddy trinket that it is today.

Archived