Torpar

1 minute ago, peasy23 said:
3 minutes ago, pozbaird said:
Starting to feel sorry for the Scotland rugby league team now. They’re getting hammered. Christ knows what might happen if Australia keep their foot on the gas when Scotland really tire. Referee should stop this to save them from further punishment.

My 60-70 points in my previous post could be a severe underestimate.

Would have been a good guess for the first half score. Nothing, absolutely nothing the Scotland guys can do. It would be like me getting a bunch of guys from the P&B golf thread together, and taking on the European Ryder Cup team.

On 21/10/2022 at 22:05, ajwffc said:

that must be not but close to the record defeat for Scotland 

All-time record defeat actually - surpassing New Zealand 74-6 Scotland at RLWC 2017.

We've never actually had another losing margin beyond 40s, and only 3 of those: 2 v Tonga at WCs and 1 v Australia in Four Nations.

Disastrous tournament thusfar.

Improved performance in a 30-14 defeat to Fiji but still exit the tournament with 0pts, only 4 tries (3 of them today), and -124 points difference.

Hard not to say the side continues regressing.

Returning in 2025 still attainable as European qualifying will have 4/5 slots: but Wales, Ireland, Italy, Greece and Serbia are all capable so 1/2 miss-out. 

On 13/10/2022 at 23:16, HibeeJibee said:

I'd tip 6x Oceanics + England + Lebanon for QFs.

Full house...

Quarter-Finals
Fri 4 Nov       Australia v Lebanon                          BBC3     (at Huddersfield) (7:30pm)
Sat 5 Nov      England v Papua New Guinea     BBC1     (at Wigan) (2:30pm)
Sat 5 Nov      New Zealand v Fiji                              BBC2     (at Hull) (7:30pm)
Sun 6 Nov     Tonga v Samoa                                      BBC2     (at Warrington) (2:30pm)

Semi-Finals
Fri 11 Nov      Australia/Lebanon v New Zealand/Fiji                  BBC2     (at Leeds Utd) (7:45pm)
Sat 12 Nov     England/Papua New Guinea v Tonga/Samoa     BBC1     (at Arsenal) (2:30pm)

Final

Sat 19 Nov     BBC1     (at Manchester Utd) (4pm)

Edited by HibeeJibee

Qualifying for RLWC 2025:

Qualified automatically (9 places)
France (hosts), England
Australia, New Zealand, Fiji, Papua New Guinea, Samoa, Tonga
Lebanon

Europe (4.25 places)
Ireland, Italy, Scotland, Serbia, Spain, Wales
Germany/Greece/Netherlands/Norway/Russia (or Czech Rep)/Ukraine

Americas (2.25 places)
Canada, Jamaica, USA, Brazil/Chile

Africa & Middle East (0.25 place)
South Africa, Ghana, Nigeria

Pacific (0.25 place)
Cook Islands

6 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

Is it quarter places on the basis that 75% of the team will be Australian?

😄

Seems to be some sort of 'world repechage'; though elsewhere suggested maybe a straight Africa v Pacific playoff.

For this tournament Cooks beat South Africa then USA, with no European participant.

5 hours ago, ICTChris said:

Always liked the randomness of Papua New Guinea having a competitive rugby league team.  Hope they put England out tomorrow.

Since 2014 they’ve had a team, PNG Hunters, in the Queensland Rugby League although they haven’t played a home game since 2019 due to COvID. They won the QRL minor premiership in 2017 going on to defeat Sunshine Coast Falcons 12-10 in the Grand Final. Six Hunters players are in their WC squad.

That was a great game between Fiji and NZ, lots of training session games this WC as expected so was great to watch a real competitive game. As I posted earlier I was at the Fiji-Australia game and thought the Fijis more than matched them in parts. Tonight they probably should've knocked NZ out, some soft tries conceded and they really should of went for a drop goal at 18-12 to make NZ score twice in the last 15. Samoa/Tonga tomorrow and the two semi finals sould be great watches.

Managed along to a few games of this.

Tonga 32-6 Wales @ St Helens 

PXL_20221024_182736463.thumb.jpg.70635d8c3154291de8eeeab9ee218a62.jpg

Papua New Guinea 32-16 Cook Islands @ Warrington

PXL_20221025_183809921.thumb.jpg.d0c350f2356ea6134765005d0796ba2a.jpg

Australia 66-6 Italy @ St Helens 

PXL_20221029_193529310.thumb.jpg.e9c7b91886013242d8947ae589f3a84c.jpg

Off to the QF in Warrington between Tonga and Samoa tomorrow which looks like it'll be a cracker.

Sadly that'll be the last one for me. Have tickets for the final but looks like they are going to end up as generous donations to my in-laws as the wife has booked us to some bint from her works wedding on the same day. Bloody woman! 

17 hours ago, Christophe said:

Off to the QF in Warrington between Tonga and Samoa tomorrow which looks like it'll be a cracker.

good-call-nice.gif

First surprise result of tournament IMO: plus a relative rarity in competition so far being a close tie, an exciting match and before a relatively full ground. Samoa much-improved since opening game.

Bit odd that sides from same group meet again in SFs.

5 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

good-call-nice.gif

First surprise result of tournament IMO: plus a relative rarity in competition so far being a close tie, an exciting match and before a relatively full ground. Samoa much-improved since opening game.

Bit odd that sides from same group meet again in SFs.

Yeah I don't agree with that, two teams who've played in the group should be on opposite sides of the bracket until the final. It was done so that the group with the 1st seed would play the group with the 4th, and 2 v 3. 

Good idea in theory but the problem with that is there are not enough international RL games to have a decent system where the best team is the top seed! NZ are 1 and Australia inexplicably 4, so that's why they were destined to meet. Tonga and England being 2 and 3. So that's why Samoa are meeting England again, having nicked Tonga's path 

Edited by Christophe

14 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Wondered if it was more cynical than that: ever since became a proper tournament in 1995 you've had Australia-England in Final... or Australia-NZ after latter beat England in Sfs.

So is underlying motivation to keep Australia and England apart?

Or England definitely avoiding both the big boys so they should make the final

On 06/11/2022 at 22:34, HibeeJibee said:

Wondered if it was more cynical than that: ever since became a proper tournament in 1995 you've had Australia-England in Final... or Australia-NZ after latter beat England in Sfs.

So is underlying motivation to keep Australia and England apart?

Almost certainly so, sorry didn't come across on my post but i believe that is simply the "reasoning" they are hiding behind!

As an aside, i see that they want to take England to a game in London (the Emirates semi), but surely for gates they'd have been better of doing AUS-NZ in London where presumably they would get a decent crowd through ex-pats and having the ENG-SAM game at Elland Road? Reckon you could get close to two full houses that way round