Torpar

Went and checked the birthplaces for starting team for Scotland:

Ryan Brierley - Preston (England)
Matthew Russell - Irvine (Scotland)
Kieran Buchanan - Hull (England)
Bayley Liu - Christchurch (New Zealand)
Lachlan Walmsley - Merriwa (NSW, Australia)
Bailey Hayward - Camperdown (NSW, Australia)
Calum Gahan - Darwin (NT, Australia)
Logan Bayliss-Brow - Nambour (Queensland, Australia)
Liam Hood - Bradford (England)
Sam Luckley - Kirkcaldy (Scotland)
Euan Aitken - Pambula (NSW, Australia)
Kane Linnett - Shellharbour (NSW, Australia)
James Bell - Auckkand (New Zealand)

I assume you could do this for most of teams outside the traditional big 4.

World Cup? My arse.

I was at the Australia v Fiji game on Saturday night, almost 14000 there which was a decent turnout considering England were playing earlier in the day. I'm a big league fan but this was my first ever time at a game live. It's certainly an easier game to follow on the TV with the close ups of the rucks etc but you really don't appreciate how hard the hits are and how quick the game is on TV. The crowd was certainly on Fijis side and the scenes when they opened the scoring was something to behold. The cold and the rain didn't help the quality but Fiji were in it until just after half time, they blew a great opportunity knocking the ball on in goal at 12-4 which would of kept things interesting. Josh Addo Carr is a freak, his long range try and the speed he was going at was quite unreal. The Aussies quality and fitness showed but it was a decent game to watch.

The main thing I will take away from it is what a class act the players were. At the end of the game pretty much every player walked round shaking hands, signing autographs and taking pictures with the fans. A few of the big names didn't  but DCE, Tedesco, Val Holmes etc all went round every stand. And special shout out to Cam Munster who was still on the pitch at the back of 10 chatting and having a laugh with the fans. I'm sure after playing 80mins in freezing conditions for them the last thing they would've wanted to do was walk around taking hundreds of selfies but the 20 seconds they spent with each fan are memories that last a lifetime and inspire the next generation. 

As a staunch union fan I've never really paid attention to rugby league. Infact I thought Danny Brough was still the Scotland captain and I had no idea Italy had a rugby league team.

However for Scotland to improve at league it's going to have to find a way to compete with football and rugby union in Scotland which will be like climbing Everest. I guess they could promote it more in schools and possibly even try to get a professional side (2 if they're very lucky) into the English league set up.

I also found out that the Argentina Rugby union head coach is also the head coach of the Lebanon rugby league team at the world cup just now. His parents are Lebanese. However if I were an Argentinian rugby union fan I'd prefer if he was prepping for the Autumn Tests...

I went to both games in Newcastle over the weekend. Decent action although both ultimately proved so one-sided that they weren't great sporting spectacles. Crowds were given as 43,000 at St James Park for England v Samoa and 6,000 at Newcastle Falcons for Scotland v Italy. (This must have included unused complimentaries/sponsors/schools/clubs/etc. as they weren't so busy as to be 3/4 and 2/3 full).

Week before I went to Scotland v England B at Watsonians in Edinburgh. Saturday afternoon admittedly but crowd was about 300 and many were English fans. Up here the club game amounts to amateurs on playing fields. As for the national team they failed to capitalise on it peaking in later 2010s to build crowd interest.

Domestically the UK professional game has repeatedly tried and failed to expand outside its heartlands of Lancashire/Yorkshire/Cumbria and southern France... see failures of PSG, London Broncos, various iterations of Welsh Crusaders, Newcastle-Gateshead Thunder, Toronto Wolfpack, etc. etc.

Internationally the game faces the perennial issue: there are fewer than a handful of really top sides, basically Australia/England/NZ plus some Oceanians who've eclipsed France/Wales - and outside the Pacific, British isles and France it barely registers. This time you've Greece, Italy, Jamaica and Lebanon making-up the numbers. Cook Islands - population of Peterhead - eliminated South Africa and USA in qualifying.

It's a cracking sport, but it's never going to be a truly global game at international level, or a truly national game domestically.

Edited by HibeeJibee

On 16/10/2022 at 16:06, DeeTillEhDeh said:
On 16/10/2022 at 15:49, Sherrif John Bunnell said:
We're getting an absolute doing here. Australia could hit treble figures when we play them.

I assume that there are a significant number of non-native players on both teams?

was at the game on sunday,my missus was speaking to a chap nearby who was a regular rugby league fan and he said the match was really Sydney(italy) vs Oldham(us)

5 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

22-0 after 20 minutes and Scotland have hardly made any ground whenever they do get the ball.

Starting to feel sorry for the Scotland rugby league team now. They’re getting hammered. Christ knows what might happen if Australia keep their foot on the gas when Scotland really tire. Referee should stop this to save them from further punishment.

Starting to feel sorry for the Scotland rugby league team now. They’re getting hammered. Christ knows what might happen if Australia keep their foot on the gas when Scotland really tire. Referee should stop this to save them from further punishment.
My 60-70 points in my previous post could be a severe underestimate.