Scotland name squad

• Replies 527
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was fairly complex to get to grips with, and I misunderstood a few parts of it, but as Forameus says, it was the gleeful ignorance that irked me.

I was quite happily surprised after the interview recording finished when Richard Gordon etc said that too (i.e. that seems a bit off that he doesn't know anything about it and doesn't seem to give a shit) - I was half expecting the radio guys to chuckle along and agree with McGregor.

17 hours ago, skippy2015 said:

Surely the whole squad should be briefed on how it works and the importance of the Albania and Israel games?

I’m most likes of work if your team has a target to hit you make sure knowledge and understanding is 100%?

I'm sure they will be briefed about it ahead of the Albania and Israel games, but those are still several months away, and it doesn't really bother me if the players haven't given much thought to it yet.

23 hours ago, Gordopolis said:

Regarding the Nations' League: (paraphrasing here as I can't find the quote online) "I absolutely don't have a clue what it's all about. It's totally lost on me. No idea whatsoever. Something about groups and teams qualifying for a tournament, I think. But it's waaay over my head."

That and in general sounding like he had the personality of a tattie. Zero enthusiasm about anything.

As Willie Miller said, who really cares if people hate what he said, he's a good keeper.

No wait, I forgot about the Tartan Army, they'll hate that.

No wait, the Tartan Army are the biggest dicks on the planet, spot on Willie Miller.

1 minute ago, M0rtonfc said:

As Willie Miller said, who really cares if people hate what he said, he's a good keeper.

No wait, I forgot about the Tartan Army, they'll hate that.

No wait, the Tartan Army are the biggest dicks on the planet, spot on Willie Miller.

It's a pretty good rule of thumb people who moan about the tartan army are complete arsepieces.

While I don't agree at all with what M0rtonfc says - mostly because this isn't anything to do with whether you consider yourself part of "The Tartan Army", more about revelling in stupidity over something he may well be involved in - certain members of said "Army" are people you'd cross the street to avoid.

Basically, if you're part of the tartan army because the media has labelled anyone who goes to see Scotland as that, then fair enough.  If you're referring to yourself as that - or, much worse, as a "Footsoldier" - or if you're worried about what other fans going to the football or wearing, or you hold sad delusions of how important a fan you are based on how many badges you've put on your glengarrie, then you're probably one to avoid.

3 minutes ago, forameus said:

While I don't agree at all with what M0rtonfc says - mostly because this isn't anything to do with whether you consider yourself part of "The Tartan Army", more about revelling in stupidity over something he may well be involved in - certain members of said "Army" are people you'd cross the street to avoid.

Basically, if you're part of the tartan army because the media has labelled anyone who goes to see Scotland as that, then fair enough.  If you're referring to yourself as that - or, much worse, as a "Footsoldier" - or if you're worried about what other fans going to the football or wearing, or you hold sad delusions of how important a fan you are based on how many badges you've put on your glengarrie, then you're probably one to avoid.

Aye certain members of any group of human beings are like that champ.  What in particular makes the tartan army the biggest dicks on the planet as he said.  I'm interested to hear.

5 minutes ago, forameus said:

Uberfans that collect memorabilia from trips abroad.  Wowzers.   This is pretty standard behaviour with any support, but absolutely nothing wrong with the Tartan Army as a collective.     

9 minutes ago, PB 4.2 said:

Uberfans that collect memorabilia from trips abroad.  Wowzers.   This is pretty standard behaviour with any support, but absolutely nothing wrong with the Tartan Army as a collective.     

And if you'll read a wee bit closer than that, you'd see I only referred to the ones that looked down on others that go, seeing them as not quite as good fans as they themselves are.  There's plenty that think that if you don't go to the game in a kilt, then you're just a filthy casual.  I have no issue with the badges themselves, which would be a pretty odd thing to get worked up about.

My only issue with Allan McGregor is that the SFA banned him from being selected because he was a complete bam who decided getting pished then sticking his fingers up to the media was a good idea the last time he was in the squad. I don't really care if he's a good keeper, he's 36 and was banned for being a helmet. I'd much rather a young guy was brought in.

1 hour ago, Peppino Impastato said:

Explain why think they're dicks champ

This is where you illustrate what a penis you are

Many members of the Tartan Army are clowns who stick their noses up at other Scots who don't travel around the world following Scotland and have a blinkered view on what is happening with the team and manager, it's a disgrace for anyone to think otherwise, those members really annoy me, so in my eyes, dicks.

Maybe I was harsh saying "The Tartan Army" as not everyone who considers themselves as part of them should be tarnished with the same brush and  I'm sure those members don't look down their noses at you for wearing a jaiket and tartan scarf instead of the full "Tartan Army" outfit and don't have to flash their knobs and arses at locals before and after games

37 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

My only issue with Allan McGregor is that the SFA banned him from being selected because he was a complete bam who decided getting pished then sticking his fingers up to the media was a good idea the last time he was in the squad. I don't really care if he's a good keeper, he's 36 and was banned for being a helmet. I'd much rather a young guy was brought in.

Huh? That ban was dropped after Burley was sacked. McGregor has been in the squad for years, and was a regular starter under Levein.

9 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Aye, sorry I didn't mean the last time. I still wouldn't have him there.

Strange, leaving aside the off field patter that has happened in the past he's rarely let Scotland down when picked, he's by far one of the best keepers we have and vastly experienced, 36 years of age, so whit!

If we had to play a Nations League game tomorrow with the current fit goalkeepers available, I'd pick McGregor ahead of the others.  It makes sense to keep him in the squad in case Gordon is missing for some reason come September.  Archer should get a shot in these friendlies to let us see what he's about and try to see if he can play his way into that equation.

15 hours ago, craigkillie said:

If we had to play a Nations League game tomorrow with the current fit goalkeepers available, I'd pick McGregor ahead of the others.  It makes sense to keep him in the squad in case Gordon is missing for some reason come September.  Archer should get a shot in these friendlies to let us see what he's about and try to see if he can play his way into that equation.

I don't think many were arguing against that approach tbf.  More just disappointed at McGregor's casual and happy ignorance of what should be his primary objective with the national team (shot-stopping aside).

Archived