Bus wankers

2 hours ago, Gaz FFC said:

If that's the least if your problems I raise you Edinburgh trams.

Get off train at Edinburgh Park and as we were crossing the bridge we see the tram pull in. Jump on only for the conductor to ask us for tickets.

Me- 4 please to the airport.

Conductor - you need to buy them from the machine at the stop. 

Me - If I do that I will miss this tram.

Conductor - Another will be along soon

Me - can't you just sell me 4?

Conductor - You need to buy them from the stop.

I fucking hate this world.

Folk who blame the conductor for not designing the payment system differently.

2 hours ago, Gaz FFC said:

If that's the least if your problems I raise you Edinburgh trams.

Get off train at Edinburgh Park and as we were crossing the bridge we see the tram pull in. Jump on only for the conductor to ask us for tickets.

Me- 4 please to the airport.

Conductor - you need to buy them from the machine at the stop. 

Me - If I do that I will miss this tram.

Conductor - Another will be along soon

Me - can't you just sell me 4?

Conductor - You need to buy them from the stop.

I fucking hate this world.

The conductor doesn't have the facility to sell you tickets - that isn't his fault. There are signs on the doors telling you to buy a ticket before boarding but I appreciate that if you were running for the tram you wouldn't have seen them.

I agree, it's a daft system. You even have to validate your bus pass before you get on. On the very first day that the trams were running, I (like most of the rest of the city) tried them out. I validated my pass then had to wait about ten minutes for the tram to arrive. Because it was so busy it took the conductor about twenty minutes to get to the front where I was and by that time the validation had expired (it lasts 30 minutes). He started going on at me that I should have validated etc. etc. and in theory I could be fined a tenner for not having a valid ticket but as it was the first day of operation he would let me off. I explained what had happened and he went away grumbling.

36 minutes ago, GordonD said:

The conductor doesn't have the facility to sell you tickets - that isn't his fault. There are signs on the doors telling you to buy a ticket before boarding but I appreciate that if you were running for the tram you wouldn't have seen them.

I agree, it's a daft system. You even have to validate your bus pass before you get on. On the very first day that the trams were running, I (like most of the rest of the city) tried them out. I validated my pass then had to wait about ten minutes for the tram to arrive. Because it was so busy it took the conductor about twenty minutes to get to the front where I was and by that time the validation had expired (it lasts 30 minutes). He started going on at me that I should have validated etc. etc. and in theory I could be fined a tenner for not having a valid ticket but as it was the first day of operation he would let me off. I explained what had happened and he went away grumbling.

It's the standard system in most of Europe, serves us right for not building them ourselves.

3 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Folk who blame the conductor for not designing the payment system differently.

I fully understand the conductor was doing their job and wasn't really pissed at them but the system.

Thought that was clear from my post.

3 hours ago, This time Perthshirebell said:

Why not just buy them from the machine?    

Sounds like the conductor showed great restraint not banning you from all Edinburgh public transport.   

Yes I'm sure they were terrified the way it went down.

I didn't buy them from the machine because I jumped on for the 1st time as it was there and right Infront of me was a conductor with the machine I assumed was for selling tickets.

Can't you read?

28 minutes ago, Gaz FFC said:

I fully understand the conductor was doing their job and wasn't really pissed at them but the system.

Thought that was clear from my post.

It wasn't quite clear to me, especially the bit where you tried to talk him into selling you the tickets anyway.

BTW they're not 'conductors', they're 'Ticketing Services Assistants'. Another example of fancy titles to make people in shit jobs feel better about themselves.

8 minutes ago, GordonD said:

It wasn't quite clear to me, especially the bit where you tried to talk him into selling you the tickets anyway.

That was just a sarcastic question once I noticed the situation that we were in.

Maybe in poor taste now but I'm not one of those who shouts at people doing their job.

I fully realised this person was doing their job and it was policy. My complaint was with said policy.

I won't be the 1st or last who ran to catch the tram only to be booted off again by rules for rules sake.

18 minutes ago, GordonD said:

BTW they're not 'conductors', they're 'Ticketing Services Assistants'. Another example of fancy titles to make people in shit jobs feel better about themselves.

Most countries that use that system just have an occasional undercover inspector. Guess it wouldn't work with Edinburgh tinks. 

4 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

King Street and Union Street in particular. Some utter messes of humans on the bused up there.

I stayed in Bridge of Don a while and it took 45 minutes plus to get into town in the morning on be bus. About 3/3.5 miles. Bus stops about every 50 yards and old biddies with all the time in the world getting on to go 3 stops and peak times. Used to drive me insane. The buses were a heap of utter shite as well.

Also, bus passes shouldn’t be allowed to be used before 9am imo. Don’t @me 

52 minutes ago, GordonD said:

I like 'clippies' best. I know this is better suited to the Grandad thread though.

2 minutes ago, Muzza81 said:

Also, bus passes shouldn’t be allowed to be used before 9am imo.

Pretty sure a Senior Railcard is for off peak only. They're taking the pish, it would be an easy change to make. 

2 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Pretty sure a Senior Railcard is for off peak only. They're taking the pish, it would be an easy change to make. 

All railcards can only be used after 9.15 unless the fare is more than £12 after discount or something along those lines. 

32 minutes ago, Muzza81 said:

All railcards can only be used after 9.15 unless the fare is more than £12 after discount or something along those lines. 

Have the changed that? Because I saw folk using it to work but I couldn't use my 16-25 Railcard to get to college, which I felt was a total piss take.

Was getting the bus back from the Gyle the other week and this guy got on with his shopping, he put it all in the luggage bit down the front but sat in the middle of the bus.  He spent the next five minutes just running up and down the bus constantly rearranging the bags (poorly) to stop them falling over instead of sitting nearby or taking them to his seat.  Obviously they all fell over going through a roundabout and his beer bottles all smashed....down on his knees head in hands :lol:

Spoiler

Then he took them to his seat. 

On 11/07/2019 at 20:09, The Golden God said:

On the bus last night and there was some woman on in about her mid 60s, short her dyed red, looks like she goes to the bingo, smokes 30 fags a day, goes to Benidorm every year and complains about all the Spanish and almost certainly voted Brexit. I was disgusted enough by just her appearance as I got on, only to look down and see her horrible wrinkly bare foot out of her high heel and on the floor. Was maybe the worst sight of my life.

Wid

10 hours ago, This time Perthshirebell said:

And the lesson learned is to arrive in plenty of time for public transport or better still get a full UK driving licence.   

And pay through the fucking nose to park at the airport.